IGNORED

Frogmaster's built Mimi Motel w/ HF Trailer Pics.

frogmaster

Weight = 170 lbs

Tongue Wt = 17 lbs

Tongue Angle = SLIGHT DOWNWARD ANGLE :)

Overall Width = 44"

Length = 84"

Height = 36"

CuFt = 20.5

Diamond Plate 16ga Alum on a floating 9/16" rubber (Camper/Topper Weather Stripping).

Sears X-Cargo on 6/16" rubber (Camper/Topper Weather Stripping).

Hold Down Plates w/ 3/16" (Camper/Topper Weather Stripping).

Lights are LED's

Investment approx $600.00 and LOTS of time...

Improvements To DO List. Add 24" to Tongue and add a Cooler Rack (this will increase my Tongue Weight from 10% to xx%. Also drill out existing hinges that hold it open to 30 degrees angle and allow it to open with small chain to 95 to 100 Degrees Angle. Thanks to all for your information and ideas.

:thumbsup2:

Edited by frogmaster
added info

Great looking trailer! Where do you plan to put the license plate?

His post says approx $600? Do you mean including the hitch?

Dave

Plate see Pic #3 Below LED Taillight is Bracket for Plate

Oops for got hitch add $140... Venturedad complete. Now nearly $750.00

I got to ask. I've been seeing a lot of the guys using these so I stopped at the local HF the other day. Alas.... no trailer kits to see so I'm still in the dark.

As far as basic assembly, is there a lot of welding or is it pretty much bolt together?

Seems like a good answer for those of us that are cheap.....er....budget minded....ahh....frugal.....and makes a nice looking rig when a little personal touch is added. Something that I'd like to put together for my long rides.

Mike

Same luggage carrier I have on mine.

I didnt like the way the lid opens to 45 degrees, and you have to bend down to rach back and in to get something.

SO........this is what I did to mine.

I drilled out the (8) small rivets that hold the (4) brackets that the (2) plastic lid hinge/ holders attach to.

Discarded the plastic hinge holders alltogether.

I reinstalled the (4) metal brackets that the plastic hinge/ holders attached too using small bolts, plastic washer on outside, and locking acorn nuts on inside.

I then installed two pieces of small thin chain that were long enough to connect from one bracket on the box to the mating metal bracket that is mounted on the lid.

After you install the chain, you can open the lid where it leans forward and the chain holds it open. You cut the length of the chain so that when the lid leans forward it does not hit hte rear center trunk on the bike.

You now have FULL ACCESS to the entire lugage box and the lid is completely up and out of the way...:thumbsup2:

You could also install two of those mini gas struts to open and hold the lid opne, like they have on the rear of those hatch back cagers........

Same luggage carrier I have on mine.

I didnt like the way the lid opens to 45 degrees, and you have to bend down to rach back and in to get something.

SO........this is what I did to mine.

I drilled out the (8) small rivets that hold the (4) brackets that the (2) plastic lid hinge/ holders attach to.

Discarded the plastic hinge holders alltogether.

I reinstalled the (4) metal brackets that the plastic hinge/ holders attached too using small bolts, plastic washer on outside, and locking acorn nuts on inside.

I then installed two pieces of small thin chain that were long enough to connect from one bracket on the box to the mating metal bracket that is mounted on the lid.

After you install the chain, you can open the lid where it leans forward and the chain holds it open. You cut the length of the chain so that when the lid leans forward it does not hit hte rear center trunk on the bike.

You now have FULL ACCESS to the entire lugage box and the lid is completely up and out of the way...:thumbsup2:

You could also install two of those mini gas struts to open and hold the lid opne, like they have on the rear of those hatch back cagers........

Oh YES... I forgot to add that to my to do list. Thanks ECK

• 2 weeks later...

Frogmaster.. Lemme offer a tiny suggestion. You mentioned adding 20" I think, to enable you to install a cooler rack on the tongue. It's a great idea and I love mine and use it daily. My suggestion is to make sure you add enough to allow the trailer box top to flip forward beyond 90° like you said you wanted to do. My cooler rack is placed close enough to my trailer box, that when I try to open the top beyond about 70°, it hits the cooler. Make sure and give yourself enough room to open as far as you desire. When that top lifts up to 90° and beyond, it moves forward from the hinge point, by the height of the top.

Great looking trailer :)

• 1 month later...

Gary,

Hope to see your trailer at this event:

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38612]Mid Michigan M/C, M&E and Camp Out 2009. - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

not to far for you maybe 2 hours drive max! Should be many trailers to see there.

I will have Mimi's Motel there and weather as of now looking to be fantastic...:cool10:

Guest tx2sturgis
.....I then installed two pieces of small thin chain that were long enough to connect from one bracket on the box to the mating metal bracket that is mounted on the lid.

After you install the chain, you can open the lid where it leans forward and the chain holds it open. You cut the length of the chain so that when the lid leans forward it does not hit hte rear center trunk on the bike.........

One of the problems I had with that small decorative chain, is that it tended to get tangled up in my clothing that was packed in the trailer. I ended up using some black nylon cord, and then attached it using some split rings at both ends. Works well for me!