The starter on my 83 Venture has developed a problem that isn't easily repaired (shorted field coil), and it's time to replace it. There was a dealer that was selling the 4 brush starters to us for a good price. Anybody remember which dealer it was??

If I remember correctly the 2 brush starter from the Venture, the 4 brush starter from the V-Max and the starter from the 2nd generation Ventures will all fit. Am I correct?? Is the 2nd generation starter the 4 brush type??

Anybody have a starter they want to sell?

Frank

There's an Ebay sellers who's selling rebuilt units.

$89 bucks I think.....??

I used to belong to the Venturers motorcycle org and Atlanta Motor Sports sold the 4-brush V-Max starters to members for 150 something dollars. I believe a 95 up V-Mag is what used the 4-brush set. This was some time ago though.

Dick

Can't remember if the 96 VMax starter fit the 83 or not ... One way to

find out is do a parts match on bikebandit.com and see if the numbers

match between the 83 and 87 .. If they do, then the 96 VMax 4 brush

starter is a direct replacement .. Also, believe the 93VR went with the 4 brush

starter, so there is another parts look up ...

• 1 year later...
I used to belong to the Venturers motorcycle org and Atlanta Motor Sports sold the 4-brush V-Max starters to members for 150 something dollars. I believe a 95 up V-Mag is what used the 4-brush set. This was some time ago though.

Dick

Can't remember if the 96 VMax starter fit the 83 or not ... One way to

find out is do a parts match on bikebandit.com and see if the numbers

match between the 83 and 87 .. If they do, then the 96 VMax 4 brush

starter is a direct replacement .. Also, believe the 93VR went with the 4 brush

starter, so there is another parts look up ...

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I need the definitive word on this starter issue.

When I search Yama online parts catalogue for starting motor I find the same picture for all of the following and the same TWO brushes (ONLY TWO) showing in the picture and itemized in the window under the picture.

1986 Venture Royale 26H-81800-10-00

1986 VMax 1FK-81800-10-00

1996 VMax 1FK-81800-10-00

What gives? Who can help me?

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I need the definitive word on this starter issue.

When I search Yama online parts catalogue for starting motor I find the same picture for all of the following and the same TWO brushes (ONLY TWO) showing in the picture and itemized in the window under the picture.

1986 Venture Royale 26H-81800-10-00

1986 VMax 1FK-81800-10-00

1996 VMax 1FK-81800-10-00

What gives? Who can help me?

And what is now your exact Question ??

If it's "Will the 4-Brush Vmax Starter Motor fit in my Venture ? " Then, the Answer is yes, unlimited.

And what is now your exact Question ??

If it's "Will the 4-Brush Vmax Starter Motor fit in my Venture ? " Then, the Answer is yes, unlimited.

NO, my question is how can yall say that the Vmax is a 4-brush starter when all the information I have is that it is a 2-brush starter?

oh great...now I gotta start shippin stuff to the Netherlands?!

Swifty, you make me remember the "help Swifty" Thread a long Time ... :D :D :D

NOOOOOOOOH, you shouldn't start to ship Things to the Netherlands, better to have them ship a Smoke or three to you.

The Link was just to inform you that there are 2- and and 4-Brush Starters and they interchange. I don't know what you're talking about with all that Parts Numbers and i never checked them either, but i know what will fit you Bike. Either Starter will fit.

NOOOOOOOOH, you shouldn't start to ship Things to the Netherlands, better to have them ship a Smoke or three to you.

Looks like he is still beyond help....... :stirthepot:

BTW, when are we going to see this years batch of pics, of the scoot high centered in the doorway.......... :rotf::rotf::rotf:

He can probably get the smoke easily enough, I still get a chuckle out of the crop, found in a former brewery.........

The Link was just to inform you that there are 2- and and 4-Brush Starters and they interchange. I don't know what you're talking about with all that Parts Numbers and i never checked them either, but i know what will fit you Bike. Either Starter will fit.

HEY LUTZ!!!!!

are you going to be able to make it to the "international meet" in Arkansas, next year?

sure would be nice to meet you.

just jt:backinmyday::backinmyday:

HEY LUTZ!!!!!

are you going to be able to make it to the "international meet" in Arkansas, next year?

sure would be nice to meet you.

just jt:backinmyday::backinmyday:

Hey JT, i'd love to visit the US and of Course meeting some Members here as well as showing up on a Meeting, but to be honest, i don't think that gonna happen the next Year. I'm running my own Company and i lost an important Employee(my right Hand and Arm, so to speak) last Month and there is nobody here to replace him. A new Guy will have to be teached and trained and i need to built up some Confidence in him and his Ability to run the Company while my Wife and me are gone over the Pond. I'm not that confident on this happening very soon. There are not much good Men on the Market right now.With the Downfall of the Economy, this will change, but this needs Time to work out.

Hey All,

Just to clear this up, Am I understanding that The 1996 to present VMAX and the 1993 VR have a 4 brush starter, and are interchangeable with ALL of the first gen. VR's?

Sorry to make this so simple but Electrical is like VOODOO to me!:doh:

Start Safe,

Earl

P.S. I too think it would be GREAT if Lutz could come to the U.S. for a visit, I'd love to buy him a few frosty beverages of his choice.:clap2:

Just my 2 cents!

Earl

Personally I don't know what the big deal is about the 2-brush and 4-brush staters. I look at it this way, the OEM '83 2-brush starters are lasting 25years plus, why would anyone need to stuff a 4-brush in there to begin with?? I ain't gonna live that long....... :backinmyday:

Hey All,

Just to clear this up, Am I understanding that The 1996 to present VMAX and the 1993 VR have a 4 brush starter, and are interchangeable with ALL of the first gen. VR's?

Sorry to make this so simple but Electrical is like VOODOO to me!:doh:

Start Safe,

Earl

P.S. I too think it would be GREAT if Lutz could come to the U.S. for a visit, I'd love to buy him a few frosty beverages of his choice.:clap2:

Just my 2 cents!

Earl

I'm not sure about the Year of the VR, but i can confirm the 4-Brush Starter in the Vmax since 1996 AND this Starter Motor fits ALL 1Gens.

Earl, you can't imagine how i would love to do that. How good that would be, sitting somewhere with a nice Glass of adult Beverage in the Hand and a Lot of BS'ing with the Guys and Gal's all Night. :happy34::happy34::happy34::happy34: :bluesbrother::bluesbrother::bluesbrother:

Personally I don't know what the big deal is about the 2-brush and 4-brush staters. I look at it this way, the OEM '83 2-brush starters are lasting 25years plus, why would anyone need to stuff a 4-brush in there to begin with?? I ain't gonna live that long....... :backinmyday:

There's no BIG Deal. Yamaha themself changed the Starter to a 4 Brush Setup because it's stronger and less Current on each Brush, hence less Wear on the Commutator. Maybe that's why the Parts Numbers are the same now, as Swifty elaborated. The second good News is, the stronger the Starter, the Less wear on the Starter Clutch.

There's no BIG Deal. Yamaha themself changed the Starter to a 4 Brush Setup because it's stronger and less Current on each Brush, hence less Wear on the Commutator. Maybe that's why the Parts Numbers are the same now, as Swifty elaborated. The second good News is, the stronger the Starter, the Less wear on the Starter Clutch.

I still ain't gonna live that long.... :backinmyday::whistling:

BTW, when are we going to see this years batch of pics, of the scoot high centered in the doorway.......... :rotf::rotf::rotf:

sheeshh...the memory of some idiots, eh??:duck:

I'm not sure about the Year of the VR, but i can confirm the 4-Brush Starter in the Vmax since 1996 AND this Starter Motor fits ALL 1Gens.

ok then, so be it.

So, since you 'know' it now, why don't you start some Efforts to reach that Age ??

Hey, I'm peddlin' and fast as I can.... In 25 years I'll be pushin' 93 and something tells me I won't be riding a VR any longer. I'll let someone younger, enjoy the rush!! :15_8_211[1]: And replace the starter.:whistling::rotf:

sheeshh...the memory of some idiots, eh??:duck:

Hey I remember both those story's, and you Just have too laugh when remembering them.

Don't forget the angle iron or a small screw or two in the ramp to keep it from slipping of the step.

Condor

Do all your bikes have 2 brush Starters and do you ever have the slow cranking at start-ups with a warm engine ?

Is this not the fix for this slow cranking, after the cables have been replaced ?

BRad

Hey I remember both those story's, and you Just have too laugh when remembering them.

Don't forget the angle iron or a small screw or two in the ramp to keep it from slipping of the step.

He better have you on hand, when it goes in this year.:stickpoke: Unless you want dinner interupted again...... It would be best, with the tight clearances involved. :2cents: