IGNORED

Time to replace the OE antenna.

OK, so upon uncovering my bike at work today for the ride home, I raised the antenna up and tightened the collar nut..............or at least tried to. It's stripped out now. Can't figure out why, it's only 24 years old. Anyhow, I've heard (but have never tried) that a CB radio antenna in place of the OE AM/FM antenna works far better as an AM/FM antenna that the OE stick does. So, I'm going to set myself to install a CB antenna. BUT! I'd like to have the option of either being able to fold it down like I currently do or at least have some kind of a quick disconnect so I can lay it across the bike when I cover it up. Anyone know if such a mount exists?

OK, so upon uncovering my bike at work today for the ride home, I raised the antenna up and tightened the collar nut..............or at least tried to. It's stripped out now. Can't figure out why, it's only 24 years old. Anyhow, I've heard (but have never tried) that a CB radio antenna in place of the OE AM/FM antenna works far better as an AM/FM antenna that the OE stick does. So, I'm going to set myself to install a CB antenna. BUT! I'd like to have the option of either being able to fold it down like I currently do or at least have some kind of a quick disconnect so I can lay it across the bike when I cover it up. Anyone know if such a mount exists?

I know the guys are replacing the antennas with a fold down version but not sure where it is bought. In my opinion a CB antenna would be no better for am/fm than the antenna that came on the bike. The guys seem to think if you separate the two antennas then you will have a better antenna for the CB and a better antenna for the am/fm. I don't think so though.

Someone will jump in here and give you the information you need.

Good Luck,

BOO

If you are just looking for a radio antenna I used a hidden one from this company.

http://www.ecshylites.com/page/page/761353.htm

Windy where I am at and the mount for the antenna kept ripping holes in my half cover. I used their TTC2 model and it worked out great. Snaked the antenna just under the rear of the dash. Zipped tied the ends to the frame for the fairing and had just enough lenght to reach the plugin on the radio, I had to poke it through a few places to get the shortest path to the radio. I also had to drill an access hole through the plastic. I work for the military in the middle of a desert and had shoddy reception on my way to work with the oem pole. Now I get reception in quite a few more places and almost no static.Very happy with the new antenna. Hope this helps.

Thanks Smitty, but I'm looking for an antenna that's as least as long as the original and a mount that will allow me to fold it down. I've never had a bike with a radio and having a very visible antenna is sort of a status symbol for me. It reminds me that I'm not riding a 175cc bike any more.:happy34:

I don't use a fold down radio antenna. I use the rubber flexible ones for a car. I replaced the antenna and 24 year old cable with the new one for $9.96 from Autozone, now I slap the cover on the bike without having to lower or adjust anything. It actually pulls in radio stations better than the tall stock one I had on there.

Go to http://www.bludolphintravel.com/gmg/marshallmod.htm and see this mod. I ordered the parts for the 1st Gen am/fm/cb. They do not tell you that you will also need the sleeve for the PL259 connector. I tried twice to solder the PL259 connector and failed both times. This is tricky if you are not used to soldering. I removed my entire cable and took it to a local radio shop. They dublicated my old cable with a new PL259 connector. I also bought a 90 degree adaptor to plug into the base of the antenna. This permits the cable to go straight into the 90 degree adaptor without making a "loop" into the bottom of the antenna giving more access for the saddleback cover to be placed on and off. I also added heat shrink on the 90 degree adaptor and the PL259 connector. Be careful to duplicate the same wire if you have a new cable made. The radio shop said this was important.

I did the mod too. When I bought my bike, somebody had already fitted two really short, like 14", fiberglass (Firestik-type, not that brand though) antennas. I knew nothing about antennas, but the CB had very little range. One got broken, which led me down a path of learning about antennas because I couldn't find such a short one to simply replace what I had. In the end, I installed a single Wilson Flex 3' fiberglass antenna. It is significantly slimmer than Firestik brand antennas, and I like that. It's also available in 4'.

I went this route for several reasons. CB antenna performance is very finicky. Actually, I think any transmitting antenna is like this. Tiny short ones just don't generally work that well (and if not tuned right can actually damage the CB), and it was recommended to me that a 3' fiberglass type is about the shortest you want to go. AM/FM reception performance is not nearly so finicky, and I'm not sure that my radio reception changed one bit. (Honestly, I haven't used the CB since - nobody to talk to - so I can't compare its performance.)

I cover my bike at work. The old 14" antennas were just as high as the trunk rack and fit under the cover. The 3' does not! There seems to be only one fold-down mount on the market, as referenced in the Marshallmod writeup. It's a little loosey-goosey which bothered me at first, but I stuck with it and it works fine. There are quick-disconnects available at truck stops and online, but then you have to set the antenna somewhere. At any rate, one antenna means only one to fold down.

Up front, I installed a Firestik "splitter" (not the right name, but you get the idea), which allows the antenna to work with CB and radio. My cabling was already "standard" since aftermarket antennas were installed by a PO, so I didn't have to deal with that. Mine has a 90 degree adapter connected to the antenna mount, then the cable connects to that.

After installation, you NEED to tune the antenna for the CB to work right. This requires an SWR meter, and I have a friend with one. First tune the antenna connected right to the CB, then connect and tune the "splitter".

Jeremy

• 3 years later...

smitty161...thanks for the lead on the antenna...i ride a royal star also..2001...was the install a plug and play application or did you have to splice the cable? did the cable that came with the antenna hook to the black box under the trunk or did you connect it somewhere else? was it a 'chore' removing the faring?

• 3 weeks later...