IGNORED

carrier for bike

Holly

Guest tx2sturgis

picture.php?albumid=315&pictureid=2410

Is it me or is there an elephant in the room?

That carrier, it seems to me, is going beyond safety, and common sense. Unless you plan on hauling only packing peanuts in that thing, your going to be overloading the rear of the bike. Not to mention, the stresses involved trying to shear off the receiver mounting bolts everytime you hit a bump or pothole. Next is the fact that it blocks the rear lighting. Even without all this, assuming you could load 30 to 50 pounds of stuff in there for a trip, I would be amazed if the bike's handling wasnt dangerously affected.

Im not saying you cant use a rack on the back, but just keep the weight and dimensions reasonable.

The assy weighs in at 20 lbs, can be made lighter, 30"wide, 15 deep, on a 24" slide, over 9" in receiver. About the same as a small toolbox that is being used.

I figure that the carrier would work better and be safer than pulling a trailer.

Guest tx2sturgis
The assy weighs in at 20 lbs, can be made lighter, 30"wide, 15 deep, on a 24" slide, over 9" in receiver. About the same as a small toolbox that is being used.

I figure that the carrier would work better and be safer than pulling a trailer.

I'm not going to sugarcoat this, my friend. It looks dangerous. I know you spent some time on it. But if you will go load about 30 pounds of supplies in there and take it for a short ride around the neighborhood, I bet you will come back saying...uh oh...

I could be wrong.

But if you go out there and get hurt, at least I said something. If I'm wrong, or simply hurt your feelings, I can live with that. I cant stay silent when I think someone is asking for trouble.

Good luck dude.

These are the lights we have on ours. Can't see them lit up too well in the daylight on the pics. We have a break light on the bottom in the middle. The chrome ones are running lights then we have the big blinkers which are phillips lockhart batrays if you'd like to get some of those. Harbor freight has an $8 red LED that we are using on the bike it's real bright. We'll be changing out the one on the rack with that soon.

Margaret

Think I will keep pulling my trailer.

Bob

I'm not going to sugarcoat this, my friend. It looks dangerous. I know you spent some time on it. But if you will go load about 30 pounds of supplies in there and take it for a short ride around the neighborhood, I bet you will come back saying...uh oh...

I could be wrong.

But if you go out there and get hurt, at least I said something. If I'm wrong, or simply hurt your feelings, I can live with that. I cant stay silent when I think someone is asking for trouble.

Good luck dude.

Mini posted pics of my rack on the 86 and I will tell you that I have hauled a Venture frame on it had 8 12 packs of Pepsi on it and even hauled my tools on the rack I figure we have around 15000 miles with the rack on the bike with little to no problems.The corners are getting a little thin from scraping when we are coming out of driveways but as far as dangerous I dont think so.This was my way to get around higher tolls and being able to carry stuff with me.I hate the toll charges for trailers. The biggest thing I will tell you is Lights and make sure you rtag is visible from 30 feet the LOEs will probably chime in on this. The local LEOs are a pain in the *)^ about the tag thing you can check your locals on that though. The rack looks good and you will enjoy the extra room it provides.

Jeff

Guest tx2sturgis
Mini posted pics of my rack on the 86 and I will tell you that I have hauled a Venture frame on it had 8 12 packs of Pepsi on it and even hauled my tools on the rack

WOW! Thats impressive!

I made a much smaller rack for my bike, just to hold a tent and maybe a small tarp. I took it for a ride and I could feel that weight back there. The rack only weighs about 2 pounds ( its aluminum) and the tent weighs about 12 pounds.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20353

attachment.php?attachmentid=16642&d=1206987966

attachment.php?attachmentid=16499&d=1206403409

As far as anything more than about 15 pounds... close to the normal tongue weight for a trailer... it's hard for me to imagine having THAT much weight back there, levering the frame in such an odd manner. Like I said, I could be wrong. The small trailer I recently bought only weighs 80 pounds empty, will haul quite a bit, and the tongue weight and effect on handling is minimal. Oh well. Thats what makes the world go 'round.

To each his own.

Edited by tx2sturgis