Today I replaced my Metzlers with new Dunlop WWW tires with the help of Ponch. Recieved the tires yesterday so, today I took the day off to remove the tires and work around the house. I was able to get a local repair shop to swap the tires in 3 hours so forget the house LOL. I was able to get the front wheel on by myself and Ponch came over about 2pm and showed me how to grease the splines etc. Then he helped me install the rear, torque everything correctly and reinstall the brakes. Got it all done from beginning to end in about a total of 3 hrs. I thought that was not bad for a newbie who had never done this. I really want to thank Ponch for his help and encouragement. Guys like Ponch make this site a wonderful experience. Kbay offered to jump in on Saturday to help me but, now instead I am going to assist him. Now Saturday Kbay and I will attack hit bike and see if we can get his splines etc greased As soon as I get the bike washed up a little I will post a picture of her with the new WWW's. She looks good now!

:sign outstanding::wow:

Rule #1 is Pictures! New White walls and no pics ?

I hope you know that you will probably spend more than 3 hours cleaning them before you replace them. Can't have Dirty white walls.

Brad

That's why I can NEVER have white walls.. lol.. I'd be soooo scrubbing them so hard they wouldn't be white walls anymore lol

That's why I can NEVER have white walls.. lol.. I'd be soooo scrubbing them so hard they wouldn't be white walls anymore lol

WWW's are a pain! but, I still like them.

BTW, I've tried most of the techniques listed for cleaning the whites and so far the Mr. Clean sponges work pretty good. For stubborn stains, an SOS pad works pretty good followed w/ ol' Mr. Clean. I treated the walls with a coating for inflatable boat fabric. They do seem a little easier to clean now.

LOL I have white walls and know they can be a pain. A clean bike with Dirty white walls still looks dirty.

SOS seems to work the best for me.

Brad

WW tires are not for me. I can never keep up in cleaning my tires. The rear tire does get a lot of dust, so BW is perfect. Congrats to jburrell and I can't wait to see pics of the new tire on the scoot.

• 6 months later...

Guess I'll revive an older thread with a question that is somewhat related.

I pulled my tire and had a new one mounted today. When taking the old tire off I noticed the nut on the gear side was fairly loose....okay. I installed the new tire and remounted and noticed if I torqued the nut down it would actually stop the tire from spinning....this seems real strage to me. I had to back it off.

There are no parts missing or left off.:think:

Is this normal?

I pulled my tire and had a new one mounted today. When taking the old tire off I noticed the nut on the gear side was fairly loose....okay. I installed the new tire and remounted and noticed if I torqued the nut down it would actually stop the tire from spinning....this seems real strage to me. I had to back it off.

Is this normal?

No not normal. I used the factory spec of 111 foot pounds when I changed mine last month.

The wheel doesn't spin easily though. It has to move the drive shaft and gears in the hub, so there's a lot of stuff to turn.

This should probably be in its own new thread...

Is this normal?

Not normal...

Check assembly order; especially the washer.

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=515]Rear Wheel Removal - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Ross

111 foot pounds is huge!, but not so much that your wheel should stop when applied. any thing with wheels is lookin at around the same specs and a wheel should roll easy when off the ground. something is wrong...brake drag maybe. is there noise?

Good thought. My rear brake (shoes?) wasn't seated quite right after removing the rear wheel, and at first I thought I'd messed up the re-installation. But after a short ride and gently applying the brake a few times, it returned to normal.

Hmm, If I got anywhere near 100 foot pounds it would be locked like concrete....

It was simply near impossible to turn until I loosened the nut. No brake drag or any issues. I took it for a ride and it rode well.

Can't see it coming off with the system in place but it was the first time I have never been able to tighten the nut solidly. This does not make for a comfortable feeling.

I did print the articled Cougar wrote and all is back as listed. I will check once more after I get the front tire on.

Thanks for the responses.....it was the day after a big Christmas party that required a Hotel booking so maybe....just maybe

:bang head:

There is surely something wrong. Specs call for 110 ft.lbs. and I always torque mine to that. Never a problem. One other thing to check is the bushing that goes into the hub next to the wheel bearing. Make sure you don't have it in backwards but I don't think that will bind it up.

Is this normal?

how long have you had the bike? first time youve taken the wheel off...if the nut was loose maybe the last guy or mechanic to do so put something on wrong and just left it loose instead of trying to find out where he messed up in the process.do you have a manual with a blow up of the parts or someone with a similar bike to compare?

You're missing a Collar there. Inside Diameter is 20mm, outside is 28mm, Length is unkown.

I'd not ride without the fitting Collar, because you're ruining your Wheel Bearings right now.

You wouldn't happen to have the number of what I need to order would you? I had to have my sone do the picture as I tend to be a bit lame on the internet:sick: