Hey Mark,

If you could run a 150 on the rear it would allow you to carry more weight but the 150 is a bit to wide for the first gen Venture. If you get down and look where the tire passes next to the tube the drive shaft is in you will see that it is real close there.

I have the Dunlop E2's (discontinued) on my bike now but have a set of the new Dunlop E3's ready to install when the E2's give up the ghost. Some riders run the Avon's and I have tried them as well but found them to be a bit "squirrelly" for my taste. A lot of members really like them so I wouldn't rule them out. A few members run the Metzler's but it seems that there have been a lot of blow outs with them, but some members still swear by them. A few run the Kenda, the price is right but have not heard much about the wear or longevity.

Tires seem to be a real personal preference thing around here.:080402gudl_prv:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
CRAYON BROKE!

A few members run the Metzler's but it seems that there have been a lot of blow outs with them, but some members still swear by them. A few run the Kenda, the price is right but have not heard much about the wear or longevity.

I loved my Metzelers. Yesterday I found three tread blocks on the rear lifting relative to their neighbors. I've ordered Kendas to replace the Metzelers.

My reasoning for the Kendas is that we have a short season here, and we don't do a lot of long trips so tires always die of old age before they wear out. Also, one piece of crap in the road and any tire is junk. I figure I'll just treat them like filters - regular replacement.

Part of your tire choice is what you want the bike to do and how you want it to feel.

When I put the Avons on the bike, I went about 2 miles, leaned into the first turn and thought to myself, "WOW!" I always loved the way the Venture Royale rode like a sport bike once moving. The Avons put it even closer to the sport bike feel.

My new bike, 2007 RSTD, came with a bad back tire. I asked for the Avon Venom X as a replacement under warranty. It took a while to get shipped to the shop but I am very pleased with the feel of the AVX on the RSTD as well.

If you're looking for a more stable or neutral feel, other tires would be a better choice. I'm sure any tire someone recommends on here will work well for you.

Guest seuadr
When I put the Avons on the bike, I went about 2 miles, leaned into the first turn and thought to myself, "WOW!" I always loved the way the Venture Royale rode like a sport bike once moving. The Avons put it even closer to the sport bike feel.

no kidding. i'd had dunlops on my 82 GS1100 before i just replaced them with avon roadriders.. i starte a thread at thegsresources.com because i thought there was something wrong with my bike, you'd push it to lean into a corner and it's just go with no resistance.. not used to that at all. first time i pushed hard to make a quick left turn, i thought the bike was going to fall over ( which of course it didn't ) i've since learned this is called " handling " ;) apperantly when you initiate a lean with a roadrider, it actually leans :p it's crazy! :banana:

First, I need new tires... What is your recommendation for brand?

Second, Is it possible to go to 150 on the back? Is there anything to be gained by that change?

Thanks,

Mark Koontz

'83 Venture

Wichita, KS:680:

I just put a 155/80/r15 BFG Radial T/A on my 05 RSTD

• 5 years later...

the previous owner had a set of Dunlop "cheapies" on it when I got it. probably equivalent of "spitfires". I have those on another bike and don't like the way they handle rain grooves. they wiggle, but on smooth pavement work ok. they do wear very well though, and I got over 10,000 front and rear from them. I replaced them with a set of Dunlop elite 3's, and am very satisfied with the handling. I had the elite 3's on an old Goldwing and they always performed and wore very well. I realize this is an old thread, but someone may still be wondering. btw, mine is an 86 vr. jmho

Been running Elite III front & rear on my '85 for a couple of years and like them.

The only issue is that I override the edges! My '92 had a new set of Elite II on the front & rear. I don't like the front. It feels loose and it hunts at slow speeds. Always feels like it is low on pressure (it's not).

Been running Elite III front & rear on my '85 for a couple of years and like them.

The only issue is that I override the edges! My '92 had a new set of Elite II on the front & rear. I don't like the front. It feels loose and it hunts at slow speeds. Always feels like it is low on pressure (it's not).

Can't say much about E3's on a 1stGen, but I do have them on my '99 and '07. They do feel like they're low, but they ain't. I ran Avon Venoms on my '83 with Progressives, fork brace, and was amazed at the improved performance over the E2's. It was like riding on rails. The only problem was the side wall checking. It took 3 front tires before I got one that stayed together. Ergo I went to E3's when the time came on the 2ndGens....