IGNORED

Help removing Delaminating Bub end caps

Hopefully somebody else will chime in here because I've never done it. I've seen several reports though from people who said they had to pull the mufflers off the bike and use a wooden dowel rod or something through the inlet end and a hammer to pound them off. Like I said, hopefully somebody else will chime in and help. By the way, I'm moving this thread to the second gen tech talk area where it will likely get seen better.

Excuse my ignorance, but where, on the cap, did you strick? The joint, the holes at the rivets, all over! I'm not concerned about damage to the cap either, just want to know the most efficient way to get her off! Coated the joint with WD40 to sit over night. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

I use a rubber mallet to work them off to repack the baffles. Just keep whacking them back and forth. I pull mine about once a year and they are pretty tough every time even though I use neverseize when putting them back.

I've removed mine twice due to the chrome flaking off. (Cheap, cheap, cheap!) Got the rivets out and then just cut the darn tips off using side cutters, a hammer and a chisel. Since they were useless anyways and I was replacing them with new ends I figured hey, what the heck? They're toast anyways. Hope this helps!

Bluez :cool17:

I had a set on a 1999 that I bought and they were so rusted that replacement was the only option. After that I was curious as to how to get to the insides to repack them just in case I got other ideas. As it turned out I drilled out the rivits and then I pounded out from the inlet side. I don't remember what I used exactly but I think it was a dowel of sorts. Once started they came out more easily baffle and all. Easy to repack at this point. As for the end caps it would be way easier to work on them once this assembly is removed. Thought about having them beaded and high temp powder coated black to match the midnight Venture. Would be cool but you still have the headers in chrome unless you did them also.

Like Perm44 said, the rubber mallet works great. Just work around back and forth and they come off. I did as another on this forum suggested and sanded mine down and painted with satin black paint. They look great and no more flaking.

It is amazing what can be accomplished after walking away from a problem! After a good nights sleep and good advice from everyone I was able to dislodge these end caps! I posted pictures so the next guy can see what he is getting into assuming he lacks experience as I did. I hate using force unless I know what I'm doing and in this case I did not. I was relying on everyone's good advice. Taking my time I used a nail claw and hammer to dislodge the end cap. Came off easily enough after about the 8th blow. The claw was small enough that it fit right into the joint and I was able not to mar up the end cap. Now I have the option of refinishing it.

So I am in the market for new end caps! Any suggestions? I need to blow the exhaust downward since my girlfriend is complaining of fumes. Pipes have been checked and there is no exhaust leak. Im thinking of these,

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/118/7691/ITEM/Bub-Slash-Cut-Billet-End-Cap.aspx

but would really like to get other opinions first!

Thanks everyone for the help!!

OK, well I'm finished! Got lucky and found some old end caps at the local Harley Davidson. The parts person spent 15 minutes in the back rummaging around and produced some Screaming Eagle cut end caps that where "ALMOST" the same size. Spent the afternoon modifying them to fit and I am very pleased!!

Thanks to Freebird, the parts person at the HD place, Gary N., PERM44, Bluesman, arnesbay, and Sylvester!

Replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. Left one came off pretty easy, not the right..... was another story. beat i and beat it and beat it.... finally success. Put the new warranty replacements and and will hope for the best.

Talked with the cutie @ the BUB booth in Daytona this past March and she said they have a new process. I hope it works better than the old one.

If the chrome comes off again, I'm going to have them powder coated black.