Hello all,

Anybody knows how to uncouple the CB antenna base from the attached wire? I tried unscrewing the metal connector at the end of the wire... no go, I tried pulling on it... no go.

I don't want to break anything and I didn't find a way to remove it, anyone has done it???

I am actually chasing a CB transmit problem :sick:and want to make sure the antenna has a solid connection but as I said I can't get at it.

Help and Thanks

Hermann

Sorry, they are actually crimped into place. Your can't get it out short of cutting it off. You may be able to try and uncrimp the metal piece just above the wire and pull the wire out. However this will necessitate putting a connector on the wire and...........well, it will necessitate getting a new mount for the CB antenna which can be quite pricey.

Well, I guess that part looks like it's only about $47 to $57 depending one where you get it. Personally I'd just take that cord loose on the CB side and use and ohm meter to check continuity of the lead and the antenna mount and see if you have a break or a short. Frankly I'd have a hard time believing it was that connection unless you were rough with it.

Hi gibvel

Do you know if there is a way to verify that the antenna connection is good?

What do you do with this connection when you have to remove the CB unit to get it repair?

Sorry, they are actually crimped into place. Your can't get it out short of cutting it off. You may be able to try and uncrimp the metal piece just above the wire and pull the wire out. However this will necessitate putting a connector on the wire and...........well, it will necessitate getting a new mount for the CB antenna which can be quite pricey.

Have you not been into the CB case under the trunk yet? There is a connection that pulls apart, between the antenna wire and the CB, in the plastic case that holds the CB.

What kind of trouble are you having with the CB? Did you recently replace the antenna or any part of the antenna, per chance?

Remove Antenna connecter at the opposite end.

Read Resistance from Antenna element to the center conductor at opposite end, Should be Zero Ohms, ( dead short )

Now read the mount base point thru the outer shield of cable to the Connecter at opposite end, should be Zero ohms, ( dead short )

Now read at opposit end, Center conductor to the outer shield, should be Open, NO connectioin, ( Or Infiniate )

---- Question: Is you AM FM Radio Reception Normal ??? IF So, then your antenna is most likley OK.

---- Question: You say the CB Reception is OK, Can you hear stations talking 10 to 20 miles away, and maby some Skip Reception from other States ?? If So, then your antenna is most likley OK> ((( OR, can you only hear another station within a couple of blocks? take some time with this check )))

From the looks of the photo, you posted, I doubt there is a problem there, at that point, UNLESS the OHM meter readings Confirm that there is one,

If ohm meter readings Indicate, a Bad Cable, it could also be at the other end. OR the Cable may have been damaged at some point between the antenna and the CB receiver.

I am assumeing that on the 2nd Gen the ONE antenna feeds both CB and the AM/FM,

----- Correct me on this if I am wrong.

HOwever if AM is OK, then your problem is most likley the Audio from the Microphone is not getting to the CB transmitter,

OR, the Transmitter is actually bad, But this would be very Rare !!!!

Then check the cableing from the Intercom system, cables to the CB Unit. Start by locateing all the Plugs, remove and install them several times.

( Pull up the service manual on this web site if you do not have the service manual. Schematics near the last chapter show plugs )

Is your Audio good thru your Intercomm system to the passenger position ????? If no audio to the passenger on intercom, then obviously there would not be any to the CB either.

Do you have another CB unit in a Car, or a hand held unit ??? If so, have sombody listion on other unit, KEY the Mic, and you should see a Signal Strength Indication On the Other CB unit installation . This would indicate your Tran, and Antenna are OK, but No Audio from MIC is getting to the CB Transmitter,

( Head set cableing , mic element, dirty plug connections between bike electronic units to the CB Transmitter itself )

Do a few more tests, and post, we need a few more CLUES, on this one.

Answers to your questions in BLUE:

Have you not been into the CB case under the trunk yet?

No not yet

There is a connection that pulls apart, between the antenna wire and the CB, in the plastic case that holds the CB.

OK

What kind of trouble are you having with the CB?

I can hear perfectly what other are transmitting but the can hardly hear me, the audio portion of the signal is very weak.

Did you recently replace the antenna or any part of the antenna, per chance?

No, just looking at all possibilities, part of my debugging process.

I can hear perfectly, I don't have a swr meter but the antenna has never been touch, and I am not sure the swr adjustment will make a big difference,... correct me if I am wrong.

Would have to think if you can hear, but not transmit the problem is not in the antenna, as long as the SWR has been set!:confused24::confused24::confused24:

Norm

Hi George,

My replies in BLUE

Remove Antenna connecter at the opposite end.

Read Resistance from Antenna element to the center conductor at opposite end, Should be Zero Ohms, ( dead short )

Now read the mount base point thru the outer shield of cable to the Connecter at opposite end, should be Zero ohms, ( dead short )

Now read at opposit end, Center conductor to the outer shield, should be Open, NO connectioin, ( Or Infiniate )

---- Question: Is you AM FM Radio Reception Normal ??? IF So, then your antenna is most likley OK.

I have a second generation RSV so there is 2 antennas, one for the CB and one for the radio.

I just did some reception test and I can perfectly hear what others are saying, even if they are far away. (up to a point)

---- Question: You say the CB Reception is OK, Can you hear stations talking 10 to 20 miles away, and maby some Skip Reception from other States ?? If So, then your antenna is most likley OK> ((( OR, can you only hear another station within a couple of blocks? take some time with this check )))

As far as I can tell the antenna seems to be fine, I just finished some tests and the CB reception is what I should be expecting.

From the looks of the photo, you posted, I doubt there is a problem there, at that point, UNLESS the OHM meter readings Confirm that there is one,

If ohm meter readings Indicate, a Bad Cable, it could also be at the other end. OR the Cable may have been damaged at some point between the antenna and the CB receiver.

I am assumeing that on the 2nd Gen the ONE antenna feeds both CB and the AM/FM,

----- Correct me on this if I am wrong.

HOwever if AM is OK, then your problem is most likley the Audio from the Microphone is not getting to the CB transmitter,

The audio is getting out there but the signal is very very weak, people are saying that they can hardly hear what I am saying and that my signal is noisy.

OR, the Transmitter is actually bad, But this would be very Rare !!!!

Then check the cableing from the Intercom system, cables to the CB Unit. Start by locateing all the Plugs, remove and install them several times.

( Pull up the service manual on this web site if you do not have the service manual. Schematics near the last chapter show plugs )

I have the service manual and have done this, maby I missed a cable somewhere but that would surprise me.

Is your Audio good thru your Intercomm system to the passenger position ????? If no audio to the passenger on intercom, then obviously there would not be any to the CB either.

The audio between the passenger and the driver is fine, I even tried the intercom with both helmets on an other bike and both helmets are working great.

Do you have another CB unit in a Car, or a hand held unit ??? If so, have sombody listion on other unit, KEY the Mic, and you should see a Signal Strength Indication On the Other CB unit installation .

I just done this, the signal strengh on the other CB isfine but audio very very weak.

This would indicate your Tran, and Antenna are OK, but No Audio from MIC is getting to the CB Transmitter,

What you are describing is similar to my problem but not quite, some audio is going through because people can hear me but they are saying that my audio is like a wisper.

( Head set cableing , mic element, dirty plug connections between bike electronic units to the CB Transmitter itself )

Do a few more tests, and post, we need a few more CLUES, on this one.

I have open the fairing and reconnect the CB cord (yellow), the Ext lead (white) the headset lead(Red) and put some dielectric grease in those connectors.

I also did the same for all connections under the passenger's seat.

Not sure what to do next!!!

Reply in blue

but did you happen to try using someione elses headset/microphone/ The problem could be in your helmet headset and not in the cb itself.

This question is very valid but at this point I don't know anyone with similar setup. I will keep this in mind and do a test as soon as possible.

Both headsets are genuine Yamaha CB/stereo head set PN:STR-4XY89-30-KT and both are exhebiting the same problem either connected to front or to back.(driver-passenger)

This is just a thought, but I always try the simplest things first.

Good luck.