IGNORED

Aftermarket Seat - Corbin vs. Russell Day-Long

RedRider

Last Friday was the second happiest day in my boating life - I sold the boat (got what I was asking too)!!

Now is the time to do some upgrades. One of the things I am looking at is a better seat. A member has a nice Corbin he has upgraded to the Russell (due to a hip problem the Corbin apparently wasn't as comfortable anymore) and he is offering it up for sale.

Before making this change, I would like some input as to the relative comfort for these saddles. I ride long distances (Iron Butt runs and ralleys) and the stock (non-pillow-top) seat is limiting. I use an AirHawk and/or sheepskin and it helps, but not enough for really long rides. Had my seat redone by Rick Butler and that also helped, but again, not enough. Ran 4000 miles in 5 1/2 days earlier this spring and the last day or so was pretty brutal. Tailbone pain is the worst.

I am looking to do a 5000 mile / 5 day run this year and I know the current seating arrangement won't hold up.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

RR

Hello

i have a corbin seat back rest and passanger back rest i love the seat some say it is to hard i have taken a week long trip and no problems my wife said it is too hard for her but not a problem

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

I just put a used corbin on and have about 300 miles under my butt with it. I really like it so far but that doesnt say how it will do in an iron butt. It is a hard seat. Our kitchen chairs are wood and I find those the most comfortable to sit on over the padded ones.

I have no tail bone problem with the corbin and I did with the stock seat....even the overstuffed one.

Opinions are like belly buttons...everyone has one, so take mine as you should.

I was very worried about getting the corbin and finding it too hard to work with after spending a ton of money. I found mine here and paid a very fair price (it came with the back rest).

If its a dud then I should be able to get my cash back by reselling it.

So far it isnt going anywhere!

I have had multiple Russell Seats with backrests. I can't say enough good things about them. My first one was on a 1500 Goldwing. I could get on it in the morning and at the end of the day, it was like I just got on. This was about the 5th seat I had tried before the Russell.

I have since had one on my wife's FJR, and one on each of my wife's v-strom and my v-strom. I will probably get one for my next bike also.

They also offer a money back guarantee, so you can't go wrong. They are great people to work with. The worst problem is sometimes having to wait to get it. They are all custom made and they need specs and pictures of you sitting on the bike before they build it. Their timing has gotten better in recent years. I don't know what it is like currently. My last one was the year before last.

I had a corbin on my ST1300, but although much better than stock, the "hard as a rock" nature wasn't for me.

Tom

I have had no experience with Russel seats but I have a Corbin. My original seat was comfortable but not for long rides so I got another one off ebay and had it redone by Rick Butler. Much better but it still did not get me to where I wanted to be. I had noticed that most people who own Ventures loved their Corbin seats so I put out a thread and asked for comments. I only got one negative comment and that was from a guy who had never owned a Corbin on a Venture. He just didn't like Corbin's. I bought my Corbin off ebay and I love it. It is hard but I don't get sore as soon as I did with the other seats and it is easier to move around in. It also sits lower than the original seats. I ride 1 up all the time so I am talking strictly from a drivers point of view.:sign woo hoo:

I have a Corbin. Great looking seat. I have had it apart several times trying to make it comfortable. I'm not impressed with it at all. Somebody had a Russel Day Long on here a while back and I wish I had bought it. I rode the original seat 860 miles one day and I think the Corbin feels about the same at about 400 miles. TThe Corbin has a backrest and my original doesn't.

Last Friday was the second happiest day in my boating life - I sold the boat (got what I was asking too)!!

Now is the time to do some upgrades. One of the things I am looking at is a better seat. A member has a nice Corbin he has upgraded to the Russell (due to a hip problem the Corbin apparently wasn't as comfortable anymore) and he is offering it up for sale.

Before making this change, I would like some input as to the relative comfort for these saddles. I ride long distances (Iron Butt runs and ralleys) and the stock (non-pillow-top) seat is limiting. I use an AirHawk and/or sheepskin and it helps, but not enough for really long rides. Had my seat redone by Rick Butler and that also helped, but again, not enough. Ran 4000 miles in 5 1/2 days earlier this spring and the last day or so was pretty brutal. Tailbone pain is the worst.

I am looking to do a 5000 mile / 5 day run this year and I know the current seating arrangement won't hold up.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

RR

Just from my observation of comments about the seats over a few years I would say if you in general prefer soft seats, I would try out a pillow top to start with and see how if works for you. Works great for me. If it doesn't work out go to a Russell, or a Rick Mayer seat.

If you prefer firmer seats go with a Corbin, but don't order one from a warehouse store where it may have been sitting a long time and could have dried out. It won't be firm then, it will just be hard.

I rode the Corbin on my RSV for 3 years. It's hard and more of a saddle than a seat. I've done several cross country trips, on stock and Corbin. All of them were painful after 75 miles. I recently changed to a RDL after my wife started riding with me and the Corbin was just to hard for her. The RDL is a huge improvement. I can ride from one tank to the next without stopping to let the blood flow back into the rear. The RDL is the best long distance seat I've ridden by far. If you ride or plan to ride long distance, you will be pleased with RDL. It looks different, but it's beautiful to your .....um:whistling: rear end!!!:hurts:

I have a Corbin and it works well for my 260 pounds. Generally the Corbin works well for riders over 200 pounds. I think the stock seat foam will compress after a bit until you are riding on the seat pan. The Corbin uses memory foam and does not seem to bottom out.

i put an ultimate seat on my rstd and it was the best move for me. sat or rode all the more well known seats, corbin, mustang etc. i had never heard anything bad about the ultimate seat so i tried one for my wife and i and we love it . no tailbone pain at all. good luck with your search. ride safe and be cool, thumper1

• 5 years later...

cough cough cough:backinmyday:, check the dates in the corner of the threads pal!!

clean up this dust before you put your kickstand up!

the corbin does not have much foam to loose as far as I can tell?? welcome to the farm trial member!:cool10:

I saw an older corbin seat for my 1st Gen Venture at a yard sale yesterday. It looks pretty old from reading the tag and corbin sticker on the bottom, but the leather is really nice. Does the foam degrade much over time?

:322:

Check with Corbin if they will rebuild it. If so, buy it for a song, have them redo it, and you will have a Corbin for very little money. Win-Win.

And yeah, this is kind of an old thread. But I am still around.

RR

So now that 7 years has passed, what seat did you go with and how have you liked it?

I bought the Corbin, used it for one long weekend (1000+ miles) and sold it. I apparently do not have a Corbin butt.

Purchased the Russell Day Long. Just completed a 6 day, 5500+ miles run and my butt feels fine. There is no substitute for the RDL if you are going to put on some serious miles.

RR

I got my RSTD with a Russell seat and have never been more pleased. I had a VTX with a Mustang seat that would start to bite you after the 2nd fuel stop on long rides. I do not like that brand at all. The guys I ride with (a Goldwing, and 2 Kawasaki's) don't like me to lead since I don't stop as often as they would like for their stock and Mustang seats. Get the Russel.

I have a 2005 RSTD. Bought it used with a Mustang seat. Was fine for a couple of hours. Put the stock seat on and really not much difference, just pain in a different spot after a couple hours. Sold the Mustang and bought a Corbin. A little better for me after a 2 hour ride but multi days were a real pain. Wife did not like it at all. Sent the stock seat to Russell and have never looked back. Longest day was about 14 hours. Longest trip was 5300 miles in 7 days. 6 years in that seat and not a single day of discomfort in the saddle. The Russel Day Long has my vote, but everyone is different.

sent using tapatalk

Edited by P-roy