IGNORED

Replacing a Stator

Written by Fred Vogt, submitted by HDHTR. Thanks.

To start remove the engine guard on the left side.

1.Remove the shifter and peg or floorboards.

2.Remove the oil

3.Remove mid-gear cover, (the case cover on the left to the rear) this will drain more oil and free the wiring to be removed.

4. Now remove the left front cover. NOTE: this cover is hard to remove because of the magnetic pull on the stator. Note: the position of the shifter shaft as you remove the cover.

5.Place the cover on a suitable work aria so we don’t scare the case.

6.Remove the retainer for the wiring. Remove the retaining ring [This is where you need the Impact Driver]

Reverse the above steps to install

Thanks to Fred Vogt. He has a picture for everything!!

Stator

In these instructions I may go into more detail then you need, but I don't know how experienced you are in repairing your bike so be patient. The removal and replacing of a stator coil is not a difficult task, all though you should be careful to use the proper tools . Before you start you should have: the new stator, gaskets for the flywheel and middle gear cover, new oil and filter, large tipped Phillips screw driver, 10mm,14mm,17mm wrenches and a 5mm allen.

Removal

To remove the bad stator; First remove left side lower fairing, the shift lever from the shaft that comes through the flywheel or stator cover and remove the "C" clip and washer from that shaft making note of it's orientation even marking the top with a marker because unless it is returned to the proper position the case will not fit properly, now remove the foot peg and shifter assembly. Next drain the oil from the engine then remove the six 5mm cap screws from the middle gear cover (the small cover at your left foot wile riding) taking note that the cap screw at the bottom has a copper washer that is used as an oil seal, carefully remove the cover (note: there are two guide pins that position this cover on the case and are normally a snug fit but can be removed with out prying ), you can now see two cables coming out of the lower rear part of the front left cover, follow these under middle gear until you get to a connector on each of the cables. Unplug the two connectors (one smaller then the other) and remove both cables from the retaining clip under middle gear. Remove the left case guard and the two phillips head screws from the flywheel cover and remove the round plate (note the oil slinger Position so you can return it in the right way). You are now ready to remove the eleven 5mm cap screws from the flywheel cover and remove it from the engine, As you start to pull the cover away from the engine it will start to come but then give you added resistance this is due to the magnet in the flywheel pulling on the steel in the stator, but a steady straight pull will remove it again with out prying. Inside of the cover there are two shafts and three gears used by the starter, if they fall out or come with the case put them back into position in the engine, also there are two guide pins that are used for positioning. Now that you have the flywheel cover in your hands find some rags to put the cover on as not to scratch it. Now for the hard part of the job the removal of the three phillips head screws in the center of the stator coil and the screw holding the retaining clip for the wires from the stator. These screws have Loctite on them and are tough to brake loose, so use a screw driver that fits tightly in the screws and have a friend hold the case. I have had to use vise grip pliers on the screw driver until I bought a phillips tip for my 3/8 drive. Replace the old stator with the new one and reassemble the engine by reversing the above instructions.

Fred J. Vogt 1037