IGNORED

Electronic Battery Monitor

Hi - I own a 1985 Venture with a computerized monitor - I just replaced the battery with a sealed version - nowhere to stick the sensor from the old battery - warning light is on on the dash - how do I "trick" the system to get rid of the light on the dash - tnx - Jim

Or you might find that there is already a resistor attached to the wire, and if you haven't cut it off with the probe, just put an end on the wire and run it to the fuse block. You will need a resistor, don't wire it without it.

• 4 years later...

The post by Freebird doesn't tell us whether we need a 1k ohm, 1/4 watt or a 1k ohm 1/2 watt resistor. Same with the 2.2k ohm resistor. They both come in 1/4 & 1/2 watt resistors but I bought all 4 & hooked them up one at a time by cutting the wire going to the CMS & wiring in the resistor. I first tried the 1k ohm - 1/4 watt, no luck. Then tried the 1k ohm - 1/2 watt resistor, no luck. Then I tried the 2.2k ohm - 1/4 watt & then the 2.2k ohm resistor - 1/2 watt & none turned off my warning light or the battery emblem in the CMU. I have not had a problem w/ this ever since I have owned the bike but my entire CMS quit working completely so I purchased a used one from ebay & everything worked perfect again for a day or so. Then my battery emblem came on & the red warning light came on so I checked the white w/ red stripe wire & nothing had happened to it. Guess there was a resistor somewhere in the wiring harness that went out allowing 12v to go to the CMU and no resistor will fix it???? I even ran a completely new wire to the electrical connector w/ a 2.2k ohm 1/4 watt resistor soldered in it & the warning light & battery emblem still comes on. Guess this used CMU got fried in that circuit???:confused07: Everything else still works and registers OK in the used CMS, fuel gauge, all the light checks, & all except the battery sensor section.

The post by Freebird doesn't tell us whether we need a 1k ohm, 1/4 watt or a 1k ohm 1/2 watt resistor. Same with the 2.2k ohm resistor. They both come in 1/4 & 1/2 watt resistors but I bought all 4 & hooked them up one at a time by cutting the wire going to the CMS & wiring in the resistor. I first tried the 1k ohm - 1/4 watt, no luck. Then tried the 1k ohm - 1/2 watt resistor, no luck. Then I tried the 2.2k ohm - 1/4 watt & then the 2.2k ohm resistor - 1/2 watt & none turned off my warning light or the battery emblem in the CMU.

What did he say??????

:rotf:

In this case 1/4W or 1/2W does not matter. Either will work equally well.

Was the warning light and icon off with the old battery?

If so then the CMU was working at that time.

Double check your connections, start with the 2.2 K ohm.

He said he tried everything he had and nothing worked.

• 2 weeks later...