IGNORED

D.I.Y. 4 Cylinder Carburetor Synchronizer

a1bummer

Just in case anybody is looking for a D.I.Y. 4 cylinder carburetor synchronizer, I made one the other day and it worked great. I filled it with some trans fluid and it was VERY sensitive and worked great. I put some pics of it in my gallery. The pics might be enough to tell ya how I did it. But if you have any questions, I can give ya all the details.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Al,

When I try to open the second file, there is a Word error telling me the file is corrupted.

Thanks, nice idea about the syncs. No polute with mercury at least.

Regards,

Works ok for me but I saved it first and then opened it.

Great job Bill.. thanks!

• 1 year later...

Your homemade carburetor synchro tubes.

I wish I had your patience and talent. I lift my hat to you and you have my admiration.

Maybe it is because of my age (64).

I was about to try to synchronise manually (by hand and sound like ols mecanic man use to do on cars) but after reading your comment, I told myself that I better find a dealer that has the proper machine, to do the job on my bike.

I live in Quebec, Canada.

PS : I am french and (I think) bilingual but at times I might be a little bit out of what I am trying to explain.

Hope you did understand me.

Have a very nice summer and good riding.:fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks for the compliments. I get accused of being anal a lot! But hey, It works for me. And then I get to say, "Of course I don't look busy, I did it right the first time". I still can't help but wonder how close this gets me to a pro. tool.

I'll bet that this can be more accurate than a mercury setup simply because the working fluid weighs less so it will move farther for a given change in pressure.

Did you make the change to bigger tubes at the bottom for faster response time?

Did it help?

I would think that smaller diameter measuring tubes would also give quicker response time.

• 1 month later...

I built a 4 tube water filled set-up attached to a 5 foot board.

MUST make 4 inline restrictors using the red straw from a WD-40 can epoxied into 4 straight "union" connectors. This calms down the impulses alot! (they go close to the carbs on mine, but someone put them in the 4 way TEE at the bottom. . . )

Use larger tubing. Smaller tubing holds air bubbles longer. Either works accurately.

30 inches of mercury = 33 feet of water, so the columns are 11 times more accurate !

A 1/4 PSI difference on a dial gauge is the width of the needle.

" " ". . . . . . .on mercury sticks is a half inch.

" " " . . . . . .on a water Manometer is seven inches.

" " ". . .in a 2 bottle system sucks one bottle dry, unless it's 8 inches tall.

And the final complaint " it can suck water into the motor", if you're careful, you thumb the starter and see which way the water moves, and begin tweaking the carbs before even running the motor. Hope this helps !!

I found this design online. It will be expanded for 4 carbs with "T"s, but, it works on my Venture, Ninja, and KZ1000 like it is. Check/adjust two cylinders at a time then recheck.

The accumulators (small tanks made from PVC) dampen the vacuum pulses as well as the motor oil used in the clear tubing. Valves at the top of the accumulators allow syncing of the tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings...

Very Cool, Very Clever!

Beats the heck out of my single tube, 1 board and gear oil contraption for looks and usability - Mine looks the same as the above!!

but then, I can only turn 1 screw at a time...

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings...

Very Cool, Very Clever!

Beats the heck out of my single tube, 1 board and gear oil contraption for looks and usability - Mine looks the same as the above!!

but then, I can only turn 1 screw at a time...

I want to expand on this . . . The 1st Gen VR carb synch says to adjust 1-to-2, 3-to-4, and finally 2-to-4. This adjustment sequence does not need a 4-carb tool!

I want to expand on this . . . The 1st Gen VR carb synch says to adjust 1-to-2, 3-to-4, and finally 2-to-4. This adjustment sequence does not need a 4-carb tool!

You can get the Balance close with a single Setup, but i won't be any near as perfect as we want it. It's Kind of " on the Road Fix" until i can get into a real Balance Job".

• 1 month later...

In theory that's all true, but in practice, I have found that each carb effects the others in some way, and you can't see that when balancing two.

I made a spirit level type sync with four lines teed together out of tubing and tees from Lowes sprinkler section. I don't have any dampeners, and use ATF as the fluid, and it works very well. I think the lighter fluid doesn't matter, since this tool balances the carbs against each other instead of against atmospheric pressure like Mercury sticks and the Morgan carb synch or the gauge type synchs.

I'll bet the big air pockets above the fluid damp it so you didn't need restricters...

The sensitivity of a manometer is inversely related to the density of the fluid. Trans fluid will be quite a bit more sensitive than mercury. Down side to more sensitivity is the need for a taller column, although your design neatly bypasses that problem by having less fluid than will fill one column. Be interesting to see if this set up can be used for carbs that are way out of sync.

Nice job!