IGNORED

Battery/Charger Testing

FozzyUSN

My 83 just started flashing the battery emblem when I start it up. After several minutes of running, the battery emblem goes out and does not appear until I shut off the engine and restart it.

I'm suspecting first the battery, then the charging system second. How do I go about determining which is at fault?

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Quick test is to put a DC volt meter across the battery while the engine is running. If it reads 13.5 - 14 VDC you're charging system is probably OK.

Next I'd pull the battery and most Auto Parts places can "load" test it. You may have a bad cell and just need to replace the battery.

You also may want to double check the battery connections and make sure there is no corrosion. Simply cleaning them and reconnecting the battery may solve the problem.

If it's still a problem, then it could be the sensor/computer or you may need to more extensive volt testing on the stator output.

Dave

Checked fluid level and it was just fine. However when I removed the battery leads, I did find a little build up under the positive terminal. After cleaning and reassembly, it seems to work just fine now. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

John

• 8 years later...

This place is wayyyy to quiet,,, just for kicks I went to the very last post in the Watering Hole and thought I would say something here to bring it back to the top:witch_brew:... Now that I noticed what its all about I think I will go order a new battery for Tweeks, sounds like fun dont it? I like to buy her a new battery every year anyway cause I really dont like battery problems.. Gonna go search Ebay,, last one I bought cost me 20 bucks for one I had to go to the Auto Parts store to pick up Acid to fill it,, ended up costing me 26 bucks for a new battery.. Gotta treat that stickered covered ol girl right ya know!!

Oh,, just noticed this thread was started by an expired membership member named FozzyUSN.. Thinking that USN may stand for U.S. Navy? If so and if Fozzy is still following us here,,, wanted to say THANK YOU to Fozzy for his service in keeping us free!! THANK YOU Fozzy!!:thumbsup::uk2::uk2::uk2::uk2::uk2: