IGNORED

tall vs short windscreens

Overly concerned at my fuel usage on the highway recently, I installed a short and wide Road Chrome windscreen to replace the Clearview Tall & wide and did comparative testing to see if it really did make a difference or not to go short or tall as far as fuel mileage goes.

And here are my results, observed but unscientific.. (speeds noted are actual, not what the speedo reads, 10% difference)

The biggest difference observed is at speed and depending on headwinds. It would appear to me that the biggest significant difference is when traveling at 110 km/h (actual speed) and above.

At lower speeds, back rural roads and so on, I couldn't see much difference.. But once on the highway, as long as the speeds were in the 100 km/h area, with little headwinds, it would be the same.. the shorter windscreen seems to get a wee bit better mileage..

However, traveling at our 110 km/h posted speed limits on the highway is where the big difference comes in. And if traveling at a slightly higher speed then it's a huge difference. When you add on a 20 to 30 km/h head wind component to this equation, I found that the shorter windscreen made a huge difference.. And it's that 110 km/h speed 'zone' that makes the difference..

Mind you, the tall wide windscreen makes for a more comfortable ride, sitting behind that plexi barn door, but the wind it deflects is also wind that drags down the bike as well.

I'm heading out on Wednesday for Maine and possibly New Hampshire for a few days and will be able to tell more on how it works out.. but thus far, seems like the shorter windscreen is the way to go.. When I got caught in a down pour today, I could see over the top of the windscreen without getting soaked.. bonus. The tall and wide would protect me from the rain a little better but depending on conditions would make it scary trying to see through it instead of over it..

It's all about trading off comfort and safety until you have a good balance..

Yeah I like the tall one also. Most of the guys I ride with like the shorter one in the rain but I prefer the tall wide one all the time.

I doubt that the windscreen makes much difference to mileage, one way or the other you have to plow through the air.

It will be interesting to see the results when you get back from your trip.

I try not to ride in the rain.

BOO

I think my 4" shorter shield is a Show Chrome.

Although, I got more big truck/traffic buffeting from it, I really liked the protection from the original. But, I'm 5'9" and flat out could not see over it in the rain.

This new shield is a little wider and works great in the rain. I also don't get quite as much buffeting from traffic.

Like the Show Chrome 4" shorter and wider is great for anticipated rain or "LOCAL RIDING (back roads and around town)" as long as speeds are below 60mph...

Any duration of speed or distance over 60 mph then the STOCK or XXL Clearview is good for me at 5' 8" and passenger.

Short Windshield + 60 mph + Distance + Time = Blurred vision from head buffeting and a headache soon to follow.

That is my story and experience so far on RSV - 08 and I'm 5' 8" and 5' 1" passenger.

Hope this info helps somebody. :):happy34:

Edited by frogmaster

I can see over my XXL Clearview if I sit up straight. Just thought I'd say that since I believe it's important to see over the windshield if it is raining hard. Then again, I'd probably park the bike if it's raining really hard and there was a Dairy Queen nearby. :happy34:

Hey Boo, I've been riding hard and fast these past few days and in various weather conditions with the shorter wide shield and yeah, funny enough I'm finding better mileage with the smaller shield..

Don't get me wrong, I do like the comfort of the taller shield for sure, but when looking at 'everything' it's a toss up between the two.. Whereas I'm doing a lot of highway riding, then the shorter shield does get me farther down the road on a tank of gas and around here, though readily populated, the gas stops aren't always just where you want them.. Nothing like hitting reserve with 100 miles on the odo.. in the middle of nowhere.. I'm hitting better than 170 miles distance without reserve or fuel light coming on, whereas before I'd be seeing something at the 150 range.. weird.. Not sure if having the K&N filters and Screaming Eagle pipes make that huge of a difference on mileage, I do love the sound of the pipes on this bike.. but sometimes, range is what you need over sound..

Still working out the bugs.. Love this bike, it's a fun ride!!

Thanks all for your comments and observations.

Yeah I like the tall one also. Most of the guys I ride with like the shorter one in the rain but I prefer the tall wide one all the time.

I doubt that the windscreen makes much difference to mileage, one way or the other you have to plow through the air.

It will be interesting to see the results when you get back from your trip.

I try not to ride in the rain.

BOO

So far, when it rains, the rain has clouded my windshield so badly that I can't see thru it, so I'm either craning my neck or looking off the side of it. The top is maybe 1/2inch above my eye level on my RSTD.

I'm heading for the local Yama dealer to buy some Spectra which has been recommended as a cleaner which makes the rain bead and run off. If that doesn't improve things, then I'm going to be taking about 3inches off my windshield soon.

From my point of view (is that a pun??)...

I can't stand tall windows. Had one on both the Goldwing and the Venture when I bought 'em...and chopped 'em both way down.

To my experience, it handles WAY better as you're not plowing so much wind, and when you pick up a cross wind it doesn't blow you around so bad.

...and because you're not plowing so much wind, YES, you will get better gas mileage.

and also, you can see better in the rain, as you're not looking through a rainy windshield AND a rainy helmet visor at the same time...(remember, I live on the Oregon Coastline....you wanna talk to ME about RAIN???!!!!) hahaha

seriously, I cut them down so that the wind just hits the very top of yer helmet, and you can see comfortably just over the top of the windshield. If it does start to rain, you just skrunch down a bit to hide from the direct rain blasts, and you can still see where you're going.

and if someone is getting headaches from the wind and they're riding a motorcycle...frankly, I find that scarey!

From my point of view (is that a pun??)...

I can't stand tall windows. Had one on both the Goldwing and the Venture when I bought 'em...and chopped 'em both way down.

To my experience, it handles WAY better as you're not plowing so much wind, and when you pick up a cross wind it doesn't blow you around so bad.

...and because you're not plowing so much wind, YES, you will get better gas mileage.

and also, you can see better in the rain, as you're not looking through a rainy windshield AND a rainy helmet visor at the same time...(remember, I live on the Oregon Coastline....you wanna talk to ME about RAIN???!!!!) hahaha

seriously, I cut them down so that the wind just hits the very top of yer helmet, and you can see comfortably just over the top of the windshield. If it does start to rain, you just skrunch down a bit to hide from the direct rain blasts, and you can still see where you're going.

and if someone is getting headaches from the wind and they're riding a motorcycle...frankly, I find that scarey!

This is all true and undisputable, until your wife of thirty eight years is complaining of the neck stress on a 2nd gen because you installed the short wide Show Chrome windshield.

:crying:

"This is all true and undisputable, until your wife of thirty eight years is complaining of the neck stress on a 2nd gen because you installed the short wide Show Chrome windshield."

AMEN to that!!!

IF MOMMA AIN'T HAPPY THEN NOBODY'S GONNA BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!

ps. I vote for the Tall Wide Clearview to avoid the buffeting. I don't worry that much about EXACT MPG on a bike. I am getting 38.5 with the Tall/Wide. I burn so much gas just riding around a few mpg ain't gonna matter. Rody 400 miles this weekend and ended up back at home with nothing to show for it but a smile.

:sign woo hoo::sign woo hoo::beersign:

THATS ALL I GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT!!!!!!!

IF MOMMA AIN'T HAPPY THEN NOBODY'S GONNA BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!

QUOTE]

I guess my wife's got WAY too many years on the back of a hardtail without a window. She LOVES how this thing rides!!..(insert quotation from above ^^^^)

I switched out my tall clearview for a Show Chrome shortie/wide screen, and I love it. It is nearly 4" shorter, and 4" wider, and makes a world of difference to me. I am 6', and now see just over the top of the screen, rain or shine, which I love. When everyone else is getting pelted in the face by bugs recently, I was bug free. The air flow is perfect, and the handling is great too. I just filled up today after a trip to Athens GA and some local riding, and went 197 miles on 4.2 gallons of 89 octane. 47 mpg on my '99 Venture is da bomb! :banana:

roadhand

not trying to hijack this thread....you will find the blue ridge a great road as well as the trace....the trace is more level and easy gentle curves ...don't pass up the "tail of the dragon" since your gonna be in the area.......any questions ...just ask....

ps. I vote for the Tall Wide Clearview to avoid the buffeting. I don't worry that much about EXACT MPG on a bike. I am getting 38.5 with the Tall/Wide. I burn so much gas just riding around a few mpg ain't gonna matter. Rody 400 miles this weekend and ended up back at home with nothing to show for it but a smile.!!!!

I hear ya but when your mileage goes from 100 miles per tank to 170 per tank due to a windscreen in high winds, it's a matter of concern..

I've been riding the low wide for a week now and the mileage difference is definitely improved by a marked percentage..

I'm heading down to New Hampshire tomorrow via Maine, and will be able to report back how that road trip went with the shorter windscreen..

I do believe that the higher and wider screen makes a difference but I don't think I've ever got as low as 100 miles on a tank. I did get down to about 130 miles per tank going to Colorado a couple of years ago but that was fighting one heck of a head wind, riding two up and pulling a very loaded trailer. That is about the worse it has been. After that, I discovered that I had a bad coil and the carb boots weren't seated well on top of the carbs so I don't think it would even be that bad again. I do love the tall and wide screens though.

i just finished 1900 mile trip with an xl clearview windshield on my 07....i was two up no trailer ,so we were fully loaded.....i got 41 - 43 mpg.....( 39 with ethanol )....and my carbs haven't been synched......freebird, you're right ...those headwinds/crosswinds out west can be relentless ...and i've seen an almost 10 mpg drop in mileage in those conditions

I do believe that the higher and wider screen makes a difference but I don't think I've ever got as low as 100 miles on a tank. I did get down to about 130 miles per tank going to Colorado a couple of years ago but that was fighting one heck of a head wind, riding two up and pulling a very loaded trailer. That is about the worse it has been. After that, I discovered that I had a bad coil and the carb boots weren't seated well on top of the carbs so I don't think it would even be that bad again. I do love the tall and wide screens though.

What can I tell ya.. hilly terrain, heavy head winds, full tank of gas and on reserve in 100 miles..

however, thanks for the tips, I'll have a look at the carb boots and see if something is amiss there.. (ding! the light above the head trick)