IGNORED

Waaaaaay Off Topic!

GuthDaddy17

My Son in Law has a 6 cyl. '03 3rd Gen. "standard" shift Dodge Ram P.U. . It will only start when the clutch pedal hits the "sweet spot" :detective:is this a neutral safety switch or the equivelant of it on a standard? Is this a DIY job? How much should it cost. Also, no codes a being shown. Any help would be appreciated!ough for me...I am also asking this on my Dodge Site but thought someone here might have had this same type of issue on a "cage":bighug:

yep..a safety switch it is...

its for those little legged fellas around 5 yrs old who want to take dads new truck for an unknown spin..:whistling:

If I remember correctly, it is located just above the clutch peddel and as the arm of the clutch peddel goes down, the switch is spring loaded and closes when the arm is pushed downward past a certain location being close to the floor so th elittle legged bogger cant push it down and be able to turn the key at the same time..

However it also may be located on the driver side of the transmission, just above the oil pan. It has three wires, and points sideways and slightly rearward.

Edited by Eck

If it still works, he may just need to adjust it. The mounting may be bent a little or the position attachment may have shifted over time from wear. It should be readily (more or less) accessible. It is after all up under the dash.

Edited by autopilot
spelling

A Maxima I bought had to have the clutch pedal pushed hard to the floor to start when I bought it. Rather than adjust it, I put a simple jumper wire across the two wires that went to the switch. I put about 200,000 miles on it after that and it worked fine.

RandyA

It should actually be on the shaft of the clutch pedal under the dash. look at the linkage and find a box attached to it about 2 inches square with wires on it. They usually have 2 halves that clamshell apart around the shaft going out of the firewall. I don't know on the new dodge's just the older ones. It takes about 5-10 minutes to replace and they run $15-$40

[ATTACH]29745[/ATTACH]