IGNORED

Trike Chain Drive????

I have been taking inventory of a collection of parts I have stacked up over the years, and think I have most of the makings to build my own trike.

My problem is that the engine I want to use has a chain drive, and I'm at a loss as to how to attach a chain drive to a car rearend. Then Wallllllaaaa!!! Rottdoglover states in another thread that he has done just that.

How???:doh:

All ideas and instructions entertained.

When I built a 750 Honda trike I took a small car rearend (pinto) apart and rebuilt it to my needs. I cut out the center casting so I had 2 tubes with splined axles and brakes. Took the ring gear off the carrier and put rear sproket in it's place. To hold the carrier centered, I used 2 pillow block bearings (greasable)that were just big enough to get axle splines through. Had to machine axles down to bearing size just about 2" from where splines ended. The axle assembly was attached to a swing arm so I did not need to use a center connection between the 2 axles as they were welded to frame. Also drilled the outer bearings for grease fitting. They used the rearend grease for lube before. Rode it many troublefree miles. Sorry I don't have pictures but that was a few (quite a few) years back. An easier way is to find a 90 degree gear box and sprocket the input shaft then yoke/driveshaft the output shaft.

:178:

Thanks Rottdoglover for the reply.

I'm thinking that the modification to the rear end is beyond my capabilities but will have to study your reply a little deeper.

The 90 degree gearbox is something I have thought of, but have no idea where to find such a thing that I could be confident would hold up under road conditions. I actually have looked at a couple, but they were designed/used under low speed conditions.

This may all end up being a pipe dream anyway, because you see.....I'm basically lazy and have a short attention span. Not a good combination for a trike build.:doh:

If anyone out there has a trike they would like to sell for..say...$2.83 let me know and I will see if I can come up with that much.:080402gudl_prv::whistling:

I am looking 4 lady that wants to be the backseat 1/2 of the couple riding a great trike to new experiences to new places. She must be at least 45 years of age and not more than 60 years of age. She must be adventurous, Knows how and when to be classy, and also needs how and when to be trashy.

She also needs to have the answer of what do you want to do today? and where do you want to go today?

I love someone that has a joke to tell about herself and one about me. Must be avaiable for fun filled weekends, or an occasional week here and there, spur of the moment is absolutely best.

If you think you can hang! Look me up! Your photo gets mine.

I've noticed that most of us here have riding partners if we want them. I have not noticed anyone offering to share.

Now I have absolutely no problems with you looking, but there is a place for everything.

Maybe you should be posting this on Craigs List.:happy34:

I've noticed that most of us here have riding partners if we want them. I have not noticed anyone offering to share.

Now I have absolutely no problems with you looking, but there is a place for everything.

Maybe you should be posting this on Craigs List.:happy34:

:sign yeah that::sign06:Kinda looks like one of those ads they are trying to ban on CL.