IGNORED

The *OFFICIAL* Gas Mileage Poll

Average MIXED MPG over a minimum of 5 tankfuls  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Average MIXED MPG over a minimum of 5 tankfuls

Seems there are lots of threads about fuel consumption. I thought it might be good for new(er) folks (like me) to have one definitive thread about what can be expected for MIXED mileage. Now obviously everyone should know that "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV) but if we got a consensus here it'd be cool.

So I set up this poll for users to vote ONCE for the mileage number that is closest to their AVERAGE MIXED MPG. Not your best, not the least, no varying conditions like mountains, towing, two-up, fuel type used etc. Just normal average mileage say over the last 5 tanks. :sign outstanding:

This would make a great sticky, too. *hint hint* :D

Seems there are lots of threads about fuel consumption. I thought it might be good for new(er) folks (like me) to have one definitive thread about what can be expected for MIXED mileage. Now obviously everyone should know that "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV) but if we got a consensus here it'd be cool.

So I set up this poll for users to vote ONCE for the mileage number that is closest to their AVERAGE MIXED MPG. Not your best, not the least, no varying conditions like mountains, towing, two-up, fuel type used etc. Just normal average mileage say over the last 5 tanks. :sign outstanding:

40 mpg here.:mustache:but thats not what came up on the poll, it showed 38???

as long as I am not over 70mph. 70 seems to be the magic number. Get over that, as we did on our trip, 3395 miles door to door, 2 up and the trailer, I got in the upper 20's or low 30's. The only thing that varied between some gas stops was the terrain. Western South Dakota hills, upper 20's. Eastern South Dakota and Eastern Montana and N. Dakota, flatter, lower 30's. Still cheaper, and loads more fun than in any cage. Of course there were times when that AC in the cages looked awfully good. I'll see if I can get some of the 250 plus pictures that were taken of our trip. Some of the most interesting, near Darby, MT was watching them fight a forest fire.

Erns

They all seem to get about the same, just seems to make a difference on how you ride and how fast you ride. I mean if you are riding in a group and you have to stop for gas before anyone else with the same bike you have a problem.

Guest BluesLover

Over the life of my '06 (35,000 kms), I have averaged 37.48 miles/US Gallon. Most of it is would have been 2-up and with trunk and trunk rack packed to full.

Cheers,

No Skid, he wants to know what your mileage is WITH the engine RUNNING !!! All those downhill coasts and pushes don't count. I can get 47mpg.....IN MY DREAMS !!!!!:rotf:

I mostly always get above 45 mpg unless I'm runnning in excess of 70 mph. Whether I'm running through the hills of West Virginia or on two lane country roads it doesn't matter.....

:biker:

It doesn't matter how fast I drive, 2 up or single, freeways or backroads, I always average about 38mpg. Thats incredibly good compared to my old Nomad that averaged about 30mpg, and that would fluctuate from 28-32. I'm a pretty BIG Guy and my wife is a big girl, but just the other night, went for a 4 hour night ride in the mountains, we got 38mpg. The tank before that was all freeway 80-95mph and got 38mpg.

I'm happy!

• 4 weeks later...

Not that I care about gas mileage on a Bike and not sure why anyone would????:confused24:My cars burn in one day what my bike burns in a weekend. I was getting around 40mpg or (320km to 4.5 gal. of gas)all along but the last two tanks the gas light has been coming on sooner but I still get close to 40 mpg.

Gas light used to come on around 280km but has come on at 265 last two tanks. I have been riding harder and faster so?????? I don't care if it drops to 10mpg as I will still ride.:cool10:

• 2 years later...
Old thread. :) TTT

Old thread but a fun one.. ;)

I honestly can't tell you the 'mileage' on my bike because the odo is in MILES while I fuel it up in LITRES..

Then is it Mile Per Gallons Imperial or US Gallons? Which is which eh?

Silly Canuckleheads, we have to do things so differently huh?

On 'average'.. high end highway speeds, I get 170 miles for 16 litres of fuel.. (3.5 Imp Gallons or 4.2 US Gallons)..

In the US I get 38 MPG

In Canada I get 45 MPG

But I still average 160 Miles or 258 Kms per tank JUST before reserve or the light comes on.. but I typically always pull over to fuel up around that point..

A shorter windscreen gives me better mileage.. ;)

Just fun to compare..

Very interesting to see the variations in mileage that everyone gets. I've always been very happy that my good ol' '99 is getting such great overall mpg's under all general conditions - - 45+. Great milage and great tire wear on a well running RSV that still hauls ass whenever I want it to. No complaints here at all.

:cool10: