IGNORED

What's the best way to remove old clearcoat?

uncledj

I have an 87 Venture Standard that needs the aluminum engine covers polished, but I have to get the old, flaking, yellowed clearcoat off first. Once I get it off, I'll shine it up as best I can, then re-cover it with clearcoat. (spray can)

Any suggestions?:confused07:

I purchased an old Royal which was caught in a garage fire years ago. The heat kinda baked the clear-coat on the front end of the bike and gave it sort of a brass look.

To remove the old clear-coat I used a combination of three things. 3M Scotchbrite Pads, Carb or brake cleaner and some Flitz metal polish. Oh yea ..., lots of elbow grease, rags, a long winter and patience

Be aware that carb & brake cleaner is pretty caustic stuff. It's hard on skin and will mess-up a lot of things you wished that it didn't get on.

I did all the work by hand without removing the parts from the bike,and it was a pretty tedious process. I'm sure that if the parts were removed, someone who had the proper equipment could do it much quicker and easier.

Attached are a few pictures of what I had to work with.

Good luck!

Pete.

I believe that President Clinton had an Aircraft Stripper on Air-force One, but President Bush decided that she wasn't appropriate. I know that my wife wouldn't approve. So, you might want to just listen to the radio while you work on it to be safe.:D

Pete.

Aircraft Stripper at auto part stores melts it right off be careful with getting it on your s hands. The store clear coat wont last they use a higher level coating. I powedered coated my covers black.

Edited by CrazyHorse