IGNORED

Stator Rotor Bolt........Come on out!

Ok.....here I am again. In the middle of attempting to install Buckeyes upgrade stator. In pretty good shape so far. All the bolts came out fine from the cases and the only bolts that gave me grief were the retaining clip bolts on the wiring harness for the stator and the pick up coil on the inside of the case. Got that done. God Bless Dremel!

The old stator tested fine and all the leads test equal volts but the top of the stator is black and melted. Good time for the change.

While I'm in there I want to take a look at the starter engage clutch and install the stator cooling kit. I was surprised it didn't have one but I had one on the self. So with that said here is where I'm at.

THE BOLT!

The 19mm rotor bolt is one tough cookie. Been at it for a 1/2 hour working on it with a 1/2 drive impact wrench. Added a little heat, not much, with a propane torch and still no movement.

I'm open for suggestion here. How hot can I go or should I?

I really want to get to the starter clutch and get the cooling kit installed but I got to get past this danged bolt.

Thanks

Mike

Hey. I'm back. Well I took a break and ran to the office for a bit and picked up an extra bottle of propane just in case. Came home and parked my butt on my stool and gave her another shot of the impact gun. When I hit the trigger the bolt spun out like it had been finger tight and rolled across the floor. Guess the heat and cool process broke her loose. Hard to quit laughing about that one!

The rotor was not so willing but it did come off after a small battle. I'm winning so far.

And George......you were a bit ahead of the game on the starter clutch bolts but I got it covered! I have a NOS rotor and a NOS starter clutch and I have already staked the bolts. I'm good to go. All I have left is to bench test the pick up coils and see if they are at spec and if they even look cross eyed at me the the extra set is going in.

So back to the garage.......things to do.

Oh and Wes, that thought did cross my mind also but couldn't see anything in the manual so I stuck with the standard train of thought. The only engine I ever ran across with a left hand thread on the crank was an old, old Wisconsin 4 stroker that a student brought to me one time. Haven't run across another one since. They are out there.

Thanks guys!

Mike

As long as you were in there, did you Install a New Higher Output Stator ????

As long as all the covers are OFF, did you Install a " New " Clutch Slave Cylinder ???

One more item, as long as the side panels are off. Reach up to the

" Barrowmetric pressure Sensor " and pull off the Electrical plug, make sure NO water or moisture in the Rubber Cover, over the 3 electrical pins. ( Yes this can keep the ignition system from working correctly ) One guy had this problem.

Hey George.

That was the whole point of my project in the first place. LOL! Installed a Buckeye upgrade stator, and a NOS set of pickups, a NOS starter engage clutch, and yes I staked the bolts real good, and even threw is a NOS 72 tooth gear for safe measure. I have been collecting NOS stuff for spares for two years in case I ever had a failure and figured as long as I had it open, get it done and not worry about it. Not going to wrestle that rotor again if I can help it. What a PITA!

In the last two months every switch on the bike has been removed, cleaned and recontioned if possible then bench tested by the book.

All the masters have been rebuilt in within the last two years and the Buckeye SS lines are almost ready to hook up.

I had been having some odd trouble with the bike and it looked like the CDI was the culprit so I bought one off an '88 after much conversation with the seller and it checked out good by the book on the bench test. Opened it up and took a look and redid any connection that look questionable. Checked it again and still tests good. So all I have left is another quick clean up of the carbs and waiting for my coils to come home from a friends shop. I left him 8 coils to test and match up the four best ones.

Oh yeah, still have to install the new wheel bearings and seals, but waiting to see how the work I did on the motor comes out.

So I think I have most of my potential weak spots covered. I hope.

19mm bolt..I think you mean the flywheel bolt@crankshaft. You have to hold the flywheel w/ a large open endend wrench to remove it. Mine came out easy when I replaced my starter clutch gear. The clutch w/3 staked bolts I do not recommend removing unless it's cracked. The rollers, springs and gear as shown in the Yamaha web site are the items that wear. If you are using a breaker bar or long torque wrench. Flywheel bolt does come out.

Edited by jasonm.