IGNORED

Need help...To Trike or not to Trike? That is the question.

Aimhigh

Annie. WOW I love the some of those Pictures on the Ozzy! Site! :whistling:

especially the one in the rain suits! :rolleyes:

You will love the choice your making on triking GO FOR IT GIRL! :thumbsup2:

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Glad we could accomodate ya :178: we have lots more good weather over here and the "boobs & bums" viewing for you guys' is amazing :stickpoke::crackup::crackup::crackup:The waiting for the trike is killing me,:bawling: it will be two years since I rode a bike (since accident) by the time it is all ready to go :fiddle:and probably winter with my luck!!

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:can fly

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
All i have to say to you tx2 if you want a VW trike go for it but don't judge others for what they want ,some people don't have a choice ,like myself it was either go with the voyager or sell the bike ,i couldn't afford a full fledge trike so i went with the voyager and have no regrets,The people on this forum are asking about different makes of trikes and definetely don't need the negativety that you promote.

Jim

Jim, I gave my opinion on a piece of hardware. I wasnt judging anyone. And besides, the Voyager Kit is not actually a 'trike'. It's more of an offset quad.

If someone asked about...say, Sirius vs XM, or Ford vs Chevy, and I had opinions, and facts, you better believe I will voice those opinions and facts.... I'm here to provide and gather information. If I ask a question about something...I want any and all replies.

If you find the Voyager satisfactory, then OK. Ride it and have a good time. Peace.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I had a VW trike somewhat similar to the one TX2 showed in a earlier post back in the early 70's. I built that one up using a kit from out of California. It was a very comfortable riding machine, handled well thou a bit light in the front end, and got great gas milage. 1600 cc's with dual carbs on it. If I could find another at a reasonable price I'd get it.

Having the Venture trike now is a good machine as well and I do really enjoy riding it. In comparing the two I like many things on the Venture over the VW set up from the past yet I do feel the VW had the better ride. Having a wider / longer wheel base, plus independant suspension goes a long ways on improving what I have now with the Tri-Wing's solid axle. The folks here who have the independant suspension will have the smoother ride.

All anyone can do is to decide what they except in a bikes styling and handling, and what they're willing to spend and go from there.

Larry

Guest tx2sturgis
I had a VW trike somewhat similar to the one TX2 showed in a earlier post back in the early 70's. I built that one up using a kit from out of California. It was a very comfortable riding machine, handled well thou a bit light in the front end, and got great gas milage. 1600 cc's with dual carbs on it. If I could find another at a reasonable price I'd get it.....

Larry

Hey Larry, the RoadHawk trike that I drove, had the 2300 cc motor, 150hp, and an automatic. The downforce applied thru the extended front fairing kept the front end WELL PLANTED. That thing cornered like it was on rails! One nice thing about a trike is, adding a passenger does not compromise handling at all, or, not much.

A freind of mine here in Texas builds custom VW trikes for around $10,000 to $12,000 out the door. These are understandably, budget units. 1600 cc motor and standard transmisson, and very OLD school styling, and some of then are equipped with wheelie bars! There is a wait time of several months. If you want, I can provide a phone number.

I have the voyager kit on my bike and have had it on for 4 years and i have had no problems at all, if someone had an accident with it it was more than likely there own fault ,,and as for being ugly looking i have had dozens of compliments about it and i also haul an Aspen classic tent trailer and have no problems,seems like there is just one on here with all the negativety,:parrots:maybe he should try one.

Jim

My :2cents:

Amen!!!

I rode the Burgman for the better part of 2 years with the Voyager kit on it, before I got around to taking it off. Other than high-centering it a couple of times, before I was aware of that "opportunity" I have not had a minutes trouble with it. Yes you have to drive it. In that time I was lucky to not have to panic stop but once. When I locked both wheels, the bike slid arrow straight, with no hint of wanting to fish-tale. After that just for grins and giggles I tried it again on a side street, same results.

As for pulling a trailer, I do not know what the tongue weight limitations are, but the trailer weight is completely on the Voyager kit, not on the bike at all. The limitation I see there is stopping a heavy trailer. I don't know if you can put a trailer brake control on a bike.

The voyager kit seems to give you the best of both worlds. Unlike a "trike converted" bike, if you decide to trade bikes, the Voyager can go on the new bike, with very little effort. And the "old" bike is still a BIKE, thus more than likely more sell-able.:happy34:

Edited by wes0778
Add Pics

Hey Larry, the RoadHawk trike that I drove, had the 2300 cc motor, 150hp, and an automatic. The downforce applied thru the extended front fairing kept the front end WELL PLANTED. That thing cornered like it was on rails! One nice thing about a trike is, adding a passenger does not compromise handling at all, or, not much.

A freind of mine here in Texas builds custom VW trikes for around $10,000 to $12,000 out the door. These are understandably, budget units. 1600 cc motor and standard transmisson, and very OLD school styling, and some of then are equipped with wheelie bars! There is a wait time of several months. If you want, I can provide a phone number.

I had at least 60 lbs of lead poured into the forward frame on mine. And was still able to pull 1 foot wheelies in 3rd gear with basicly a stock engine. So I added a set of wheelie bars to tame it a bit. LOL Lots of fun on that machine. Insurance here in Michigan was killer thou. Times have changed in that regard so I'm told now. I can only imagine what a 2300 engine would feel like. WOW factor has to be right up there.:cool10:

Anyhow thanks for the info but will wait a bit. Been eyeing some of the custom trikes shown at http://www.trikedepot.com/. Some pretty amazing machines there.

Larry

HI ALL,

Had my RSV triked in 08 at Dan's in Indiana with hannigan kit and extended front

this was a great move for me in as I( had brain surgery followed up by a stroke and in 2008 I was given a clean bill of health at John's Hopkins hospital, the only thing was I had slight weakness in left side, in ordeer to ride I went to a trike and love it, the only thing that I don't like is the gas mileage I get new it would be less O well I can still ride.

Do what you have to if you want to ride

Bushwacker

Robbie from Pa:301:

To Trike or not to Trike? That is the question. 'Tis nobler to stay upright on three, or be humiliated and find yourself prone under two. Me thinks 'tis better to be free on three. "Willie Shake a spear' 2009

Thanks for the giggle, Rottdoglover :Laugh: have to "meet" this Willie Shake a Spear--he's my kinda dude:rotf::rotf::rotf:

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:can fly

Bushwacker,

Power to ya!!!!! Great to see you still riding after all you have been through :thumbsup2: And like Cougar said, don't worry about the mileage JUST RIDE and enjoy :happy65:

never ride faster than your guardian angel :2133:can fly

Yea gas milage sucks but hey you're still riding and that's what counts. In my case I went from 38-42 mpg on an average to 28-32 mpg. The lower number is when pulling a trailer in the mountains.

Anyhow I stop after about 100-120 miles, refresh the tank and me too.

Larry

Hi All,

You are right I still enjoy riding even tho gas mileage is down I am running about the same as the rest of you,I was thinking of adding a fuel cell in the trunk of about three gallons, using this when traveling. Just thinking rite now thanks for come back. And yes I'am fortunate to be able to continue riding. Leaving around the 13th of June heading down to Murray ky to see Hannigan plant leaving with to other couples. Will be making planes soon. Later!!

Bushwacker

Robbie from Pa

Guest tx2sturgis
Hi All,

I was thinking of adding a fuel cell in the trunk of about three gallons, using this when traveling. Just thinking rite now thanks for come back.

You might look at these motorcycle tanks....I'd hate to see you lose some luggage capacity, when you could mount one of these on your trike somewhere:

http://www.tourtank.com/images/35DLXsm.jpg

http://www.tourtank.com/

Brian,

Been looking at that same tank, still not sure if we are going to go that way, we do alot of 5 hundred mile days with others and hate to keep gasing up when others dont need fuel same time as I do. They dont seem to mind or at least they say they dont. the tank you showed is same one I am looking at it will fit in trunk yes I will lose some space but when traveling I pull trailer, when not traveling I would disconnect tank with quick disconnect at tank.

Robbie

• 2 months later...
I just had my 2006 RSTD triked using the Hannigan kit and couldn't be happier. My reason was for health, bad shoulders, but I love the way it handles and rides. There are numerous kits out there so you will have to decide which one fits you best. I can only comment on the Hannigan conversion and I can tell you that it is first class. It will cost you a little more than some of the other kits though. I went with Hannigan because of the supension, the quality of the components and the looks. All of the supension and drive components except for the differential are from the Honda CRX sports car. The differential is from a ford thunderbird. It has braided stainless steel brake lines and michielen tires. The fiberglass is very thick and blends well with the lines of the Venture/RSTD. I have people tell me that it looks like it was factory built by Yamaha. Which ever way you go I think you will be happy to be on three wheels. I find I am much more relaxed now and can ride all day with no fatigue. Good luck with your decision.

I am considering Hannigan for my 07 venture, I was wondering how your dealer is concerning the warranty. will they still handle the parts except for the drive? just wondering what other folks experience has been. I also am short and at low speeds have to think way to much about what I am doing.

First of all you will HAVE to have this done at a Hannigan Authorized Dealer

OR

At Hannigan them selfs. The kit is warranted for 3 years. I think you can

extend that as well. what I am getting at here is that is some shops that

are not involved with trike conversions will not touch the bike. one of the

reason's is most of them do not have the 5 foot wide lift as they do for the

trike. I have ask a dealer that was close to me if they would ever work on

it. they said no. so , do your research and ask lots of Questions. The Dealer

that installed my Kit is a Honda/Yamaha Dealer that will work on 2 wheels

OR 3 wheels.

Let us know how things progress for you.

For myself I am loving every min. of this change! and will never

go back. I do play around still with other bikes with two wheels though.

I myself looked at all this kits available and decided to go with Hannigans.

I just love how there built so solid and ride so wonderful. ask Questions

to the other riders here like Carbon_One he has a different kit and really

enjoys it.

Jeff

I have been looking at Hannigan for several years, dealer said they would honor warranty on engine and electronics that are Yamaha. I have a question about insurance. How hard is it to insure and what are the rates compared to a motorcycle.

Insurance company's are starting to get on-board, as they are

finding out that when triked that they do not fall over as easy and

when that happens with two wheels the damage can be 2 grand

sometimes. matter of fact my insurance went down by 6 dollars

a month. also my company told me all is covered for the

conversion except the $1500.00 for the install fee. otherwise

all is good and covered. the Hannigan also has it's own ven

number as well.

Keep asking Questions!

I am home today if you need to call!

Jeff