IGNORED

Need help...To Trike or not to Trike? That is the question.

Aimhigh

There has been a lot of talk about trikes and trike conversions. I am seriously considering going the trike route...only thing is that I don't know if it will be better to convert my 07 RSV (and, if so, using what system?) or to sell my bike and just purchase a trike (again, which manufacturer?) Sure would appreciate any help you all have.

:confused24: :think: :o

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis

Wow. The reasons for triking are so varied, its gonna be hard to answer you. You should tell us what kind of riding you do, what are your reasons for triking, do you trailer, ride 2 up or solo, touring needs, and of course, your budget and expectations...etc.

Cougar may well have some feedback for you on his experiences, but most riders who convert the RSV are happy with the results. A bit lighter in the wallet, perhaps, but happy nonetheless.

Wow. The reasons for triking are so varied, its gonna be hard to answer you. You should tell us what kind of riding you do, what are your reasons for triking, do you trailer, ride 2 up or solo, touring needs, and of course, your budget and expectations...etc.

Cougar may well have some feedback for you on his experiences, but most riders who convert the RSV are happy with the results. A bit lighter in the wallet, perhaps, but happy nonetheless.

Thanks for the reply. We usually ride two up and I am considering pulling a trailer...don't do so right now...but I think a trike would make longer trips easier... and, thusly, more likely. Two-up we take day trips...solo I have ridden to Illinois and back (enjoyed it, too). Regarding budget...I looked at, and would seriously consider, the Hannigan conversion...priced it at approx $14k, but would still consider it...gritting my teeth, of course! Expectations are that the ride would still feel like a motorcycle ride...this is a MUST! At 63yrs and being a smaller person (5'7", 170lbs) the RSV is just too top-heavy, to be comfortable, especially when the navigator is aboard.

I just had my 2006 RSTD triked using the Hannigan kit and couldn't be happier. My reason was for health, bad shoulders, but I love the way it handles and rides. There are numerous kits out there so you will have to decide which one fits you best. I can only comment on the Hannigan conversion and I can tell you that it is first class. It will cost you a little more than some of the other kits though. I went with Hannigan because of the supension, the quality of the components and the looks. All of the supension and drive components except for the differential are from the Honda CRX sports car. The differential is from a ford thunderbird. It has braided stainless steel brake lines and michielen tires. The fiberglass is very thick and blends well with the lines of the Venture/RSTD. I have people tell me that it looks like it was factory built by Yamaha. Which ever way you go I think you will be happy to be on three wheels. I find I am much more relaxed now and can ride all day with no fatigue. Good luck with your decision.

I just had my 2006 RSTD triked using the Hannigan kit and couldn't be happier. My reason was for health, bad shoulders, but I love the way it handles and rides. There are numerous kits out there so you will have to decide which one fits you best. I can only comment on the Hannigan conversion and I can tell you that it is first class. It will cost you a little more than some of the other kits though. I went with Hannigan because of the supension, the quality of the components and the looks. All of the supension and drive components except for the differential are from the Honda CRX sports car. The differential is from a ford thunderbird. It has braided stainless steel brake lines and michielen tires. The fiberglass is very thick and blends well with the lines of the Venture/RSTD. I have people tell me that it looks like it was factory built by Yamaha. Which ever way you go I think you will be happy to be on three wheels. I find I am much more relaxed now and can ride all day with no fatigue. Good luck with your decision.

So far, if I were to do the conversion, it would be the Hannigan...I am very glad to hear that the ride is still enjoyable. Thanks for the input.

:thumbsup2:

Jim T

Guest tx2sturgis

Yep...you are the target demographic for trikes. I say GO for it, you'll have a blast, assuming it doesnt put you in a financial crunch.

At least two of the 'issues' with the Royal Stars will be solved by triking it. Rear drive hub issues and top heavy slow speed handling issues. And assuming you arent in a wheelchair, you wont even need to worry about a reverse gear on a trike. The can be pushed SO easily, since you dont have to balance them. If you can push a loaded shopping cart thru a grocery store, you can push a trike.

When its complete, you will fall in love with the 'bike' all over again. I have ridden many brands of trikes, and from experience, I can say that they are a blast to ride, and once on the open road, they feel much like what you are used to. Its when you get into traffic and stops and starts, that you will find a trike is a wonderful vehicle to be riding. Trikes easily pull a trailer, as long as you dont go overboard on your trailer weight. They DO require more 'elbow grease' when turning, but you will get used to this. A trike can be turned lock to lock(parking lot speeds), without fear of tipping over. All trikes have what is called 'headshake'...this is normal and generally only occurs at one particular speed, usually when decelerating. You get used to this too, its not scary, but its there. And a skilled trike rider can easily outcorner the average 2 wheel rider, especially at 'around town' speeds.

Good luck on your journey.

This is a pretty big can of worms...

If you go ahead and trike the bike you have you will likely have put much more into it than you could possibly get back, so there's the likelihood of a significant economic loss, somewhere down the line. That loss would be especially hard to swallow if you found that you did not like the ride of a trike, after all!

Personally, if I were still physically able, and wanted to continue to ride on two wheels, but I wanted the long-distance and two-up advantages of a trike, I would seriously consider the MTC Voyager conversion kit: http://www.mtcvoyager.com/

I've seen this unit on a couple of different bikes and it's quite impressive. It's way less expensive, and does not compromise, in any way, your bike or its' value. It also allows you to ride on two wheels whenever you want in a matter of minutes. Plus, the kit, should you not like the "trike" ride would still be sellable, minimizing your potential for economic loss.

I hope that whatever you decide to do works out well for you...

TERRY

I am also considering a trike kit, due to health reasons.

But, since they don't lean like a bike does, wouldn't an old CJ7 with the top and doors off give me the same feeling? Also, MUCH cheaper.

Honestly, I am NOT trying to be a smart A$$!

I just wonder if I would like the trike since it doesn't lean.

craigr

regarding the voyager kit, i'm a bit skiddish of them. I also am looking at a trike by some means in the near future. I have a real new RSV and a not so new body if you know what i mean.

I had a friend who had a pretty bad accident after getting a voyager kit. She was a new rider, and that could have been part of it... i just dont know. I just know that if i ever get on a trike with my loved one, it won't be something I put together myself. It will be a conversion by a company that does it day in and day out.

Sorry for the incomplete, yet long story... It still bugs me.

Guest tx2sturgis

The Voyager kit has its place. But its never meant to be a substitute for a trike.

If you have a situation that keeps you from riding on 2 wheels temporarily, such as an injury, or maybe snow and ice in your area during winter, then the Voyager kit is an option. But the handling is bad, taking corners is weird, and you can 'high center' your drive wheel in certain situations. Plus, they arent good at pulling trailers, they add no luggage capacity, and well, to me, they are just plain ugly, not to mention the comments you will get about having 'training wheels' on your scoot.

To me, the Voyager is NOT a substitute for a trike. Period.

If you're thinking trike, I suggest try riding one as much as possible and over as many different type roads as you can. I find a high crowned country road is not ideal for triking on. And a good option (almost neccesity) is EZ steer. Without it is like a driving a manual steered car VS power steering.

Guest tx2sturgis

This opens a whole can of worms, so to speak. If I was starting from scratch, and looking to BUY a new trike, I much prefer the frame up trikes, not a conversion. But, If I already owned a bike that was capable of being made into a nice trike, I'd have no issues with having a quality trike conversion done.

That Cheetah trike looks fast, and sporty, but also, kindve garage made. One of the problems with tiller steered trikes, which is what that one is, is the strange steering geometry when turning at low speeds and while backing...plus the mirrors, if mounted on the bars, become useless during most turns.

None of these 'toys' are cheap, but if you want to look at a premium trike, take a look at these:

http://www.lvtrikes.com/

When I saw these Las Vegas Trikes at Sturgis a few years ago,I nearly croaked at the prices. The top of the line Widowmaker goes for between $75,000 and $100,000, depending on options, or did a few years ago.

But even If I had the money, I just dont care for tiller steered trikes. Too much like a boat/wagon arrangement of control.

One of my favorite Trikes, and one that I very nearly purchased a few years back is the RoadHawk line of trikes. Heres a good example:

http://images.traderonline.com//img/5/dealer/1507207/94303011_1thumb_550x410.jpg

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2002-TRIKE-SHOP-VCYCLE-ROADHAWK-94303011

These trikes are available with an upgraded motor, and they dont use tiller steering. They have pivoting handlebars like a normal bike does, that dont swing from side to side, but rotate left and right. Yes, these use a remanufactured VW style flat 4 motor, and are air cooled, and simple to work on. The motor and all the noise and heat are behind you. I was in heaven riding this thing!

They sit low, handle EXTREMELY well, and have a very comfortable riding position, just like sitting in your favorite easy chair. They have full instrumentation, a large gas tank, fairing mounted mirrors, full stereo, leg fairings, lots of luggage capacity, and can easily carry a spare front wheel and tire in the rear rack. They can pull a decent sized little trailer, and they are fast, when you get the upgraded 150hp motor, get decent fuel mileage, and are available with an automatic. They cost from $20,000 to about $35,000 fully optioned, when new. These trikes are suitable for long distance touring, or just cruising around town.

I NEVER rode anything that handled better or was more comfortable to ride.

The main reason I didnt buy it? As extremely long as they are, it would take up nearly my whole damn garage!!!

And I'm NOT parkin my other bikes outside. Nuff said.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Listen Fella's,

The only trike conversion available to me here in Oz is the Voyager--and some of your comments are making me a little squeamish. :stirthepot: I NEED to keep riding (or go insane):rasberry: Over here all the trikes made are low slung things with VW motors in them. Unfortunately for me, and my bung leg, I can't get on and off. Check out this site: www.oztrikes.com.au The owner and designer is actually a guy in a wheelchair!! I like the idea of not having to change "big blue" from original too, and that the kit bolts on and off and is re-useable on other bikes (keeps value of bike and kit):icon_smile_question As I have leading link suspension and I will need to put it over the pit for full inspection at licensing centre (due to modification) I hope that makes me nice and comfortable to keep riding:thumbsup2:

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:can fly

Call me today on my cell after 1 pm if you want or before 6 pm tonight

and I will Tell you how wonderful the change was for me! 319-330-9194. (Iowa)

If you get a recording. I will call you back soon! sometimes I am in

a meeting and I can not answer my phone! I did LOTS of research just

like you are starting to do, now it is my time to pay it forward! just ask

gunny on how many emails he got from me:D I looked at ever kit and

asked a lot of Questions! then decided to go with hannigan!

The other kits are very nice as well.

looking forward to hearing from you! :happy65:

Jeff

I have the voyager kit on my bike and have had it on for 4 years and i have had no problems at all, if someone had an accident with it it was more than likely there own fault ,,and as for being ugly looking i have had dozens of compliments about it and i also haul an Aspen classic tent trailer and have no problems,seems like there is just one on here with all the negativety,:parrots:maybe he should try one.

Jim

Guest tx2sturgis
I have the voyager kit on my bike and have had it on for 4 years and i have had no problems at all, if someone had an accident with it it was more than likely there own fault ,,and as for being ugly looking i have had dozens of compliments about it and i also haul an Aspen classic tent trailer and have no problems,seems like there is just one on here with all the negativety,:parrots:maybe he should try one.

Jim

I have tried one...didnt care for it.

Hey if it works for you then that's all that counts. I just dont beleive they make a good substitute for a well built trike. Thats all.

All i have to say to you tx2 if you want a VW trike go for it but don't judge others for what they want ,some people don't have a choice ,like myself it was either go with the voyager or sell the bike ,i couldn't afford a full fledge trike so i went with the voyager and have no regrets,The people on this forum are asking about different makes of trikes and definetely don't need the negativety that you promote.

Jim