IGNORED

Detachable RSTD Tour Pak Completed

Today is 4-25-10 and i am editing my original post to let RSTD riders know i have 3 brackets left. they are $225.00 and you pay shipping.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finished up the tour pak yesterday and the wife and i logged some miles on it so that i could get her feed back. we've also made two Walmart runs and we filled up the tour pak on both trips. i am happy to say that she said she feels more secure than with a stock back rest, she also said that she has more room between us, her one downside comment was that she thought the contour of the back rest cushions weren't as comfy as the stock back rest - so i'll take the cushions to my friend the upholsterer and have him do his magic. i originally said i was going to offer this unit with locking mechanisms but honestly the amount of hours that we put into it to make it work caused us to think of a simpler and less expensive solution. we're going to replace the locks with knurled stainless steel thumbscrews. this will allow us to have the holes placed by our water jet cutting guy and they will all be uniform. we are thinking on offering the bracket several ways...1) primered 2) powder coated (black) 3) chrome plated, however plating it presents one problem - when you drill it for your tour pak it will chip the chrome ...or you can take it primered and drill your own holes and have it plated. i'll post up the price(s) during the week as soon as i get the numbers from powder coater and plating guy. take a look at the pic and i hope to get a video up on you tube as soon as i can.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q8a71y.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/ipd46a.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/el60rs.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/24uyiie.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/207t45t.jpg

Edited by naturbar
bracket update

Hey Buz,

Great job. Once you finalize your numbers I'm sure we can do some business.

Here is an alternate thought about securing the bracket against unauthorized removal. How about a small hole through the head of the left thumb screw or in the bracket itself, and a crimped aircraft wire loop that can be looped through the helmut lock on that side of the bike? Won't stop someone with bolt cutters but will stop an opportunist in a rest stop parking lot, and act as a safety restraint should the thumb screws come loose.

With regards to the chrome plating issue, I will be buying the same pack that you are using. Could the plate be pre-drilled for mounting that particular pack before it goes to the plater?:icon_smile_question

Jemorrisonjr,

i'll post up the price soon ( i hope). read the post below and we can handle yours the same way if that is acceptable.

06RSTDRider,

thank you for an excellent idea. my buddy & i had discussed using a rubber coat chain that would go through one of the holes on both sides of bracket and then going thru the wheel, but yours serves as dual purpose. if you are going to use the same tour pak, then i suggest you let me buy it, that way i can drill the four holes in it and ship everything to you at the same time. keep in mind that the pak is ABS and really light weight and it comes painted (albeit not top quality but decent), we scuffed mine and primed and clear & base coated it. the pak also has this yellow button on top and we removed it and my buddy did his best to fill the holes (can't use bondo on ABS), he used the material for repairing modern day rubber bumpers. it did not come out perfect but i'm not a perfectionist (and you would have to look hard to notice it). any way if you want to handle it that way let me know and i can get the bracket chromed after drilling the holes. stay tuned for pricing and thanks to both of you guys for your interest

I found another tour pack on Ebay last night that looks very similar to yours, but without the yellow dot. They have several pictures of them on the site including one that shows it is large enought to hold two helmets. It comes standard with the double cushion seat back and lock. They also offer a couple of differest top rack options. The base price for a paint ready primed pack is $89.00 but you can also order a high gloss black one for $105.00. The large top rack adds another $45.00. It looks an awful lot like yours. Maybe there is more than one dealer selling these and the people you bought from put their own yellow emblem on theirs.

I will find the site on Ebay tonight and send you a link. I already sent you the fellows email address in my PM.

Another thought I had on the chrome issue is you could just pre-drill four to six holes in every base plate in a set pattern in the most likely spots that would be required to mount most packs. Call it a universal mounting system and your covered.Then the buyer can mark and drill their pack to match your existing hole pattern.

With regards to you pre-mounting the pack, I have the Mustang pillion seat on my bike so it would probably be preferable for me to mount the pack to your bracket at my location, just in case the larger seat interferes with the bracket and pack assembly in some way.

I found another tour pack on Ebay last night that looks very similar to yours, but without the yellow dot. They have several pictures of them on the site including one that shows it is large enought to hold two helmets. It comes standard with the double cushion seat back and lock. They also offer a couple of differest top rack options. The base price for a paint ready primed pack is $89.00 but you can also order a high gloss black one for $105.00. The large top rack adds another $45.00. It looks an awful lot like yours. Maybe there is more than one dealer selling these and the people you bought from put their own yellow emblem on theirs.

I will find the site on Ebay tonight and send you a link. I already sent you the fellows email address in my PM.

Another thought I had on the chrome issue is you could just pre-drill four to six holes in every base plate in a set pattern in the most likely spots that would be required to mount most packs. Call it a universal mounting system and your covered.Then the buyer can mark and drill their pack to match your existing hole pattern.

With regards to you pre-mounting the pack, I have the Mustang pillion seat on my bike so it would probably be preferable for me to mount the pack to your bracket at my location, just in case the larger seat interferes with the bracket and pack assembly in some way.

Wayne,

i'll be looking forward to seeing that link. You are correct about the rear seat mounting issue. and pre-drilling the top of my bracket is an excellent idea - to sell as 'universal'. Thanks for the PM and all your advice and help, it is greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...
Where did u get this at?? it looks good and eazy to put on Im in SC and wood lik to find one lik that along with a farring w/raido...anyone knowes more than me hollor...

the one jim morrison has for sale is a great buy...you should jump on it ! as far as the fairing goes there are several choices, i went with the hoppe fairing w/ stereo (four speakers) great sounding tunes. you will get some extra wind buffeting from under the bat wing due to loosing your lower deflectors. i have made an initial proto-type so i can reuse the ones off my stock windshield but until i recover from my shoulder surgery and nerve damage to my hand, that project is on hold. good luck on your quest to make your bike your own!

Buz

http://i34.tinypic.com/o518n9.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/143qp2w.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/1hcpk0.jpg

• 1 month later...

I used 2" polished aluminum angle to mount deflectors just slightly above and behind fairing. I think you can see how it looks in my pictures profile. Looks good and very functional. Only problem, if I crank it up to 95 to 100 Mph (once in a blue moon), I get front end wobble since I put fairing on. 85 to 90 no problem.

• 3 months later...

Naturbar is possibly going to have some more made, I have put myself on the list. Let him know if you are interested in getting one.

We have to appreciate the fact that most of the guys that have spent time and came up with these add-ons are sharing and that they do not typically make a living off of having them manufactured. So a lot of the time it is money out of pocket till they get these items sold.

So pre ordering is great for these guys.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Joel Mark

I have a 2008 RSTD and have purchased the seats for a venture and mounted them. My Question is will this bracket work with the pillow top seats?? And I would also like to use the Venture Hand grips, Will these work with your brackets??