IGNORED

Moly-60 has Lithium

BigBoyinMS

Just info for those that want to know...

In previous post some have mentioned Lithium grease instead of Moly for the driveline lube. I was browsing around the Honda Interactive Network this morning and pulled up the MSDS for the Moly-60. Here is a pic of the actual ingredients list...

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww202/BigBoyinMS/MOLY60MSDS.jpg

It has Lithium in it and there is almost 1/2 as much Lithium as Moly. And a little bit of 2 secret ingredients.

And the reason the percentages don't add up is they only count the actual working ingredients, not the grease that's the carrier for them . (It's 15-20% of Moly by weight but about 60% of the 4 main ingredients)

Edit: FYI, the company that provides Moly-60 to Honda is ThreeBond.

Edited by BigBoyinMS

Can you provide the URL for the complete MSDS????

IIRC the MSDS I saw for Moly60 listed MOLYBDENUM DI SULFIDE at 60-62% by weight and LITHIUM 12 HYDROXYSTEARATE at 3-6% by weight.

Also IIRC Moly60 is manufactured by Husky Specialty Lubricants and marketed as SLIPKOTE SM-60 MOLY PASTE

IIRC ThreeBond manufactures adhesives.

Edited by KiteSquid

Sorry it took so long to reply... 'job' gets in the way. :D

Here ya go... Moly60_MSDS.pdf

Yeah, I thought the same about ThreeBond but you see the MSDS. :confused24:

The only way I could get close to 60% moly was by throwing out the "petroleum". Now it's confusing. It looks like it's less Moly than we were led to believe because of the way they figure the percentage?

See the next link... does that company (Dow Chemical) just not list the "petroleum" or carrier grease and that is why their percentage looks correct?

Molykote77_MSDS

That is Molykote77 assembly lube. The MSDS shows it to be greater than 60% Moly and 3-7% Lithium... by weight, plus a polymer at 15-40% and less than 1% quartz. I was thinking of using this until I read in the Honda description that it lubes AND polishes. That must be where the quartz comes in.

So, what do you think? I'm just more confused. :bang head:

Anyway, my main point to begin was that there is also Lithium in Moly60.

Edit: I just saw an MSDS for Dow Molykote MI-60 grease. It list Moly at 3-7% by weight! What's the deal with the Moly60 products! LoL

Edited by BigBoyinMS

What I think you have there is ThreeBond Moly 60 not Pro Honda Honda Moly60 paste

if you are looking for the BEST grease on the market for the splines then you need krytox gpl 214 (This was what was recomended to me for splines from DuPont, the manufacturer)

BUT it is not oil soluble.....so don't use it to mix with the rear end gear lube.

I called Honda Cars corporate offices and they told me to go to my local dealership for the MSDS. I don't drive by one normally.... can you possibly go by one and ask for a MSDS?????

• 1 month later...

Was reading a thread on the HondaST forum and a number of riders there use Loctite Moly Paste 65 lubricant. Available in 8oz cans for $23.45US.

https://allfasteners.3dcartstores.com/Lubricants_c_57.html

DescriptionVery low friction.

Lubricates press fits, protects during break-in and under high static loads up to 750¦F (400¦C).

Allows maximum clamping from available torque.

NAPA used to sell Moly EP Lube in a can like regular bearing grease. I used to use this to lube new camshafts in my engine builds....never had a cam fail due to wiping a lobe. This was grease though, what's recommended for our use is Moly Paste, not grease.