IGNORED

1st gen radio information

I'm a Electronic Engineer, and have a set of 1st gen radio/intercom parts to "tinker with" on their way to me.

In preparation to figure out how these things work and how to fully troubleshoot/ repair them does anyone have any detailed information about the setup? connector pinouts wiring diagrams? etc?? I am hoping to come up with a document to help others keep their radios working and to troubleshoot them. I also have a secret plan to upgrade my 1st gen with a stock radio. I need the space in the fairing for my Ham radio transcever, so the car stereo and it's mount will need to go.

Also as a note, if anyone has any dead radio parts they are willing to sell cheap, I am certian I will need more "victims" to be disected on the bench. I might be able to find a common failure point if I go through enough of them.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim, I might?? have the guts from a radio out of Tom Patterson's old parts bike. It 'soaked' in a plastic tub full of rain water for about a year. I planed on tearing it down to salvage the face plate and buttons. It's not high on my to-do list, but if you want it when I get around to rendering it down you can have what's left.

Ok, colleague.

I did that job on the CB radio on my 1984 two years ago. I modified the wiring system to match a 1986 that got as a parts. Now it works pretty good.

Yes, I have pinouts and all details that I figured it out on that time. I'll look for it and have it available.

Funny was after that I bought an RS 97 and put a J&M CB on the handlebar, so I almost didn't use it a lot.

We're someway close in Michigan, so if you need anything let me know at calperin@calperin.com

Regards,

:rudolf:

Thanks guys! the more info the better! and I can use all the dead radio parts and wiring I can get my hands on.

If anyone has any of the parts that are dead, like the handlebar controls, I'd love to tear those apart as well and investigate failure points and detailed wiring.

Recieved my radio parts.

The main connector for power and speakers, I can spot the speakers, and I assume red is the 12V switched. Yellow should be 12V constant for memory. What is the orange and Blue for? Ground is through the mounting right?

I need to start with powering up the unit.

Also I though I saw here somewhere that someone replaced the Cassette with a ipod input, anyone know of the thread that talks about it?

If I can get it powered up I can start with mapping wires. The connectors they used for the radio are horrible. I can see many problems caused simply because of bad connections on those massive blue things.

Yes and no. The CB+intercom will still work, but the aftermarket will only be out the dash speakers and not the headsets. I think I can figure out how to separate the parts and make it work for modifications like that. I need to get one operational and start poking around.

Yes and no. The CB+intercom will still work, but the aftermarket will only be out the dash speakers and not the headsets. I think I can figure out how to separate the parts and make it work for modifications like that. I need to get one operational and start poking around.

I'm glad men like you exist.

My question is can one get rid of the regular radio with an aftermarket and still somehow hook up the CB?

I know this is a little off the original topic but bear with me.

I'm not utadventure but rather his son. I have been working on a box that will do this. After searching the internet and not finding one for sale I got together with a neighbor and we made some plans. I have tested it and now just have to solder it together.

What this box does is it has 2 inputs with 1 output. The first input is a 3.5mm audio jack standard for mp3 players and such. The other input and the output are 5pin din plugs standard for the J&M radio headsets. The input from the 3.5mm constantly plays through the headset output and is interupted only when sound comes from the 5pin din input.

I use this on my bike cause i have an aftermarket CB radio and want to listen to my ipod while still able to hear the cb radio while riding in a group. This box lets me do this.

Now because I make this box I can change the inputs/output to what you want for your radio and such. IE when I was testing this i just used 2 ipods (one playing constantly the other played and paused at need)

as my bike is a standard ,and had no cb i installed the J&M cb and my upgraded stereo hooks up to the headset also. with music in my helmet and cuts out when the cb breaks in.

Edited by MikeM8560

UPDATE:

big plug with big (16-14 gauge) wires coming out of the amp.

Yellow - Handlebar mute line

Orange - Handlebar Tune button

Blue - Unswitched 12V power (live all the time for memory)

Red - Switched 12V power to turn on the radio and gear when ignition is on.

Black+blackYellow right speaker lead

Black+black-white left speaker lead

I have it powered up on the bench, now to start mapping out wires in the big connectors and the others.

Clay sent me his dead radio parts so I have something to start working on. I still am looking for anything I can get my hands on, more parts test and dissect the better.

I started mapping out some wires and have quite a few of them figured out already. The CB radio input (mystery 3rd connector next to the FM radio pug and headset plugs. and verified the findings with other sites and information you guys have pointed out to me. I really like verified information :)

On to the bog connectors, also anyone have a list of observed failures? does the FM radio quit and the intercom stay working? Intercom quit but you can listen to FM from the speakers? etc... The one amp I have loses audio when it heats up.

also does anyone have a dead CB unit? there is 1 wire I can not verify what it is used for and I think it's for the CB to signal to the Amplifier to mute the music, but I am not sure. I need to look at the circuitry of a CB to find out for sure. a completely dead one is fine.

...there is 1 wire I can not verify what it is used for and I think it's for the CB to signal to the Amplifier to mute the music, but I am not sure.

Tim,

I just checked this out Friday. Looking at the DIN connector on the CB-

The pin just counter clockwise from the keyway goes +5.75V when either the PTT is pushed or the CB receives a broadcast (signal strength exceeds the squelch setting). I have verified that the +5.75 signal from this pin mutes the music.

Actually, what I believe actually happens is that that signal switches the input on the amp to the CB.

Here's another link to removing the cassette and having an auxiliary input, including a switch to select radio or input. This looks good for an IPOD or MP3.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7067

The problem I have with my 89 is that the volume control is way too sensitive. One click it's at normal garage volume, 2 clicks is loud, and 3 clicks is as full loud. I'm wondering if there isn't a level pot in the audio amplifier. I just bought the bike over the winter and haven't tried the intercom yet. I plan on going over to a friend's house and try my control unit in his bike and see if it works the same. If you figure out which leads are the inputs to the amplifier I'd sure like to know.

I could use an old handle bar control unit. Mine is missing a button and I could take that out of the old one and fix mine.

Thanks,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I have been having troubles with the slightly working gear I had to chase down wires in the big connectors, so I had to wait to win an auction on fleabay to get a new amplifier.

My amp had a known problem, after you turn it on for a while the audio fades out and you cant hear the radio or anything else. This problem is due to the main amp stage being damaged. I isolated the part and am trying to find a replacement that will work in there. I am discovering that the parts inside these things are getting really rare. The amplifier main IC has been discontinued for over 12 years so I need to find a source for old stock that may still have them.

I am also trying to get the Midland helmet headsets working with the stock radio/intercom. I believe it will be simple, and at $30.00 each they are far FAR cheaper than even the cheapest $80.00 ones you can find online. The problem is that there will have to be an "adapter box" as most new headsets are electret microphone and the stock system is designed to use dynamic microphones. I did find a source for the switches in the radio control head. I was sucessful in resurecting a water damaged one to full operation.

I hope to get more information together when the new parts arrive.

Good work, I'm watching closely. I'm gonna do some radio/intercom stuff over this coming winter. Right now I run the mp3 thru a cass adapter. It works...not great. Tape skips/clicks and left speaker is lower in volume. I need bike to bike and music and intercom. In a perfect world they would all work together, but I think I will have to have the CB?....seperate. Well if I have a aux in, I can plug it in there. Good luck.

It seems to me that any aftermarket radio with output for an amplifier connection could be connected in via the source for the cassette deck, much like the MP3 hook ups detailed before.

I haven't used the cassette deck, but I imagine the CB and intercom work same way with that as they do the radio.

Tim, I've got at lease one extra working CB. Let me know if you need to borrow it.