IGNORED

ape hangers

2007midnight

well i might not be in the same age group for having a venture (i'm 29) but i like the touring set up. i would like to get some mini apes so the hand grips are more level with my shoulders.

GO FOR IT !!!!!!

Since they are one inch and a common size any suppler would have them. Try Dennis Kirk (they are 10 miles up the road from me).J&P Cycle.

Bubber

I've had ape hangers on my other bikes, but not the Venture. I actually found the riding position with the apes to be very comfortable on a long ride. If I had the money now, I would be looking into changing out the bars. Please keep us upto date on your quest.

I am not the typical age for a full dressed touring bike either (26). I have thought about putting apes on my 2ng gen as well. I have a few friends that have mini on their HD touring bikes and they look good and ride great. I am concerned that they wont clear the fairing on our ventures though and that you wont be able to find the right length cables and hoses. The height I would like to get would be right above the speakers on the fairing so that your hands are closer to shoulder height.

If you do this keep us all informed and make sure there are pictures as well, please.

Robert

'TheKid'

Darren, when I was in So. Cal last year for their STAR BQ, Baron's was there. I have a Tour Deluxe - and he was talking to me about ape hangers for our bikes (Tour Deluxe). I don't think he was intending the "exagerrated" hangers often seen on bikes - but something like others here are talking about. I have spoken with people who have done "reasonable" ape height type hangers - and they say that that riding position is very comfortable. Baron was speaking from an ergonomic viewpoint - and that a reasonable height "ape hanger" would be better on the rider - specially on a long ride.

Having said that, he wanted to work with me in developing something - at least for my bike(model) - but living in Nor. Cal - I didn't have time or the means to get my bike down to him for couple of weeks to develop a prototype - bar model. Also, I would think cables could be made up - but I think what the stumbling block is for our bikes - Venture or Tour Deluxe - is the speedometer. For myself, I wish I could just put an inch or so riser on - but am told that that is problematic due again to the speedometer case, etc.

Good luck - it should be interesting to see what you might come up with.

I've seen apes on some harley dressers, but not often. However, I can see why. It can be more comfortable at times. Best friend did it on his Valkyrie (not the exagerated apes, but mini apes) and it was fairly comfortable.

I've considered getting a set of these: http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/777/index.html. Just wanting to get a little more pullback so that I am not so upright.

On a side note...thanks to the others in the post (TheKid & 2007midnight), I don't feel so bad about being 30...hehehe.:happy34::D

.....I've considered getting a set of these: http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/777/index.html. Just wanting to get a little more pullback so that I am not so upright.....

I have a set of these on my 2007 Venture and they helped 'some' with the riding position, but I am thinking about making the $500 plunge and getting the Flanders handlebars. With the risers, I feel like I am still leaning forward some. I'm 5'13" and my arms still aren't long enough!

The money is more the issue than anything else. I was surprised to see it sooo high.

craigr

• 11 years later...

Most any dresser Apes will work anything under 14 you shouldn't have to change any cables... IV had apes on most my other bikes and fixing do some on my 05 venture.. The dresser Apes has a bend to bring closer and away from the fairing. Me my self with most factory bars I end up bent over witch kills my back and hands turn num at times.. By raising your bars you sit up straighter and hands don't turn num as much

• Like 1

I know this is an ancient thread, but for anyone interested in taller (or shorter) bars, Motion Pro has the ability to create custom cables in any length, with any ends you may need. They built the custom cables for the 20" ape hangers on my CB750 bobber several years ago, and they were even higher quality than the stock cables with smooth teflon liners.

https://www.motionpro.com/custom