IGNORED

removed cassette, added gauges......done

kitesquid

i'd have to take the fairing off...then undo the clarion amp, to get to the mounting straps......the bike is back in the shed, and we just had a good storm up here...might be able to get it out this weekend.................in the meantime.............

here is a pic of the space before i had to cut it......see the two holes , one on each side of the dark plastic , about half way down from the top of the space...........those two holes each had a screw that went into the front of the cassette player......imagine three half circles , spaced evenly apart with the bottom of these half circles just under these screw holes....with about a half inch space along the top edge of this plastic between the middle and end cutouts.........if i wanted to, i can put the cassette back in, and you wouldn't know i made these half circles....you just couldn't put the screws back into the cassette.....you don't really need them as you can also see that the cassette uses two bolts on each side as seen on the white mounting box inside the fairing.....i didn't have to cut anything else in this space......

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see where you said you would have went with mechanical gauges had you known what you know now. I understand your concern about the oil leaking in the fairing if you had used a mechanical oil gauge. Do you think the capilary tube that a mechanical temp gauge uses could withstand the constant long term bending it would have to withstand from steering the bike?

I see where you said you would have went with mechanical gauges had you known what you know now. I understand your concern about the oil leaking in the fairing if you had used a mechanical oil gauge. Do you think the capilary tube that a mechanical temp gauge uses could withstand the constant long term bending it would have to withstand from steering the bike?

There is very little bending involved - it is more of a big loop around the front of the steering head that gently flexes instead of bending in one spot. Mine have been on for 60,000 miles with zero problems.

The nylon tube with compression fittings used for the oil pressure is totally safe. Nylon is very tough, and a properly tightened compression collar will last forever. I DID have one start leaking a bit down at the engine when I neglected to properly tighten the compression nut when I was all done. The leak started about three months after I mounted the gauge, and I fixed it in 30 seconds by simply tightening the nut as I should have in the first place! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

there is very little bending at all.......the nylon line is no problem...........i routed everything up through the neck, so the only angles that the lines are subjected to are the steering angles......you have to make a 180 degree turn to the gauges...but that stays stationary.........i was already commited.........and , my pressure hose is almost invisible, was even able to run it through the neck fairing........so im happy

years ago i had an oil pressure gauge start leaking from the instrument panel in the airplane i was flying......made one heck of a mess...........i just never forgot it.......so, that was my reasoning........

Guest Lightnen
been working on this for a couple of weeks..........i added gauges where the cassette was...still kept the mp3 jack...........just did a test run....wadda ya think.......

I am wondering how your gauge panel is held in place for I can't see any screws or rivets on the front. I picked up a mechanical set of gauges on the weeked for about 20. with a chrome face plate. The only thing is mine here are black faced as well, but for 20 bucks I'm not going to complain..

i'm not home right now or i'd post a pic........will be home thurs. .....will get you a pic....in the meantime...............my gauge faceplate came with two right angle brackets that were to be attached at the upper left and right corners........two black ,small bolts ,with nuts, secured these brackets to the faceplate.........i didn't use the brackets....but i did use these bolts and nuts.....the nuts fit into a slot on the inside corners of the faceplate......so.........i took what i call metal strapping ( comes in a roll )..shaped the end of the metal strap to fit in this slot....and then used the two mini bolts and secured these ends of the straps to the faceplate........if you look, you might be able to see these two bolts in the picture.............the other end of the straps were secured to the white mounting box that the cassette was also mounted to, using some machine bolts ,washers and star washers..........i made extra holes to fit these bolts.......

the half circles i machined into the lower half of the opening ( see a previous post ).actually support the bottom of the gauges, and keep the lower part of the face plate secured.....i don't know if this will be enough in the long term due to vibration....but so far seems to ......

see pic. in post #18

Folks ....

I'd definitely would mount a Tach as first Gauge !

Both Volt and Amp Meter might be a good Idea for other Gauges.

You could look up Koso or Acewell Instruments. They both have multiple Function Gauges in their Programs, with two of those you can easliy produce Information Overload. Those are digital Units but i had/have them for Years and i'm very satisfied.

http://www.koso.com.tw/

http://www.acewell-meter.com/

If you had a First Gen you would already have a Tach, Volt and Temp Gauge.:rotf:

That's a nice looking set. And only $30. Wow. That's low enough to inspire me. Where did you pick them up for that? (Web price is $40.)

Hey Pegscraper, your as bad as I am reading posts...:rasberry:

Don said:

so I picked up a set of 1 1/2" Sunpro gauges today at Advance Auto Parts. Maybe I'll get around to installing them over the weekend, we'll see. These were $29.99.

Oh gee whiz, that's absolutely terrible. I must have seen it and after looking at the website it didn't register. Nice to know I'm in good company. Or... maybe Don can edit posts without that fact showing up, just to make some of us look silly. He wouldn't do such a thing, would he?

If you had a First Gen you would already have a Tach, Volt and Temp Gauge.:rotf:

Oh i'm sorry to say, but i always wanted to have the faster One's, i already have a '93 1Gen, a Vmax and a 2Gen ...

VMAX !!!!!

:happy-emoticon: :happy-emoticon: :happy-emoticon: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I've read every post in this thread but don't see anything regarding where and how, on the engine, you connect the 3 gauges. I recall stumbling across something one day but be danged ifn I can find it.

Can someone point me?

Thanks