IGNORED

removed cassette, added gauges......done

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thread has me thinking again about adding a water temp gauge. Has anyone thought of using a mounting cup similar to this, http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indA.asp?PN=240-017 and mounting a 2 1/16" gauge in it mounted to the handle bar with a RAM type mount? The RAM mount would allow it to be angled out away from the dash. I use a RAM mount for my GPS and it is very secure. Just thinking out loud.

DT

I may kick myself :buttkick: for asking this but where did you see a toad with socks? And why do you think it's sexy?:think:

The very same thoughts crossed my mind as well! I decided not to ask because I know folks here already think I'm crazier than a outhouse mouse...........

Boomer.....who is awaiting Federal Grant money for research on outhouse meeses.

hotrod

i ordered the gauges from autozone as they are electrical and don't stock those....they keep the mechanical ones in stock.....they're also $80 as compared to the mechanical which are around $40.............knowing what i know now, i woulda just used mechanical

about the exposed mp3 jack.........you're right....and i've just thought of a solution.....and if it works, i'll publish another pic.......

believe me, i've already thought of improvements, and doing some things differently

the best ideal change would be for someone to mill a faceplate out of a block of aluminum, round the edges and corners, polish and then seal it with a clear......by using aluminum, you could make the faceplate even thinner than mine, a lot thinner, which would really give the gauges a recessed , stock look.....Tony, who i got my spacer from, could probably do this easily.

i looked at the koso gauges..and they are neat.....and though i didn't see prices, i assumed that they are expensive and i would have to modify the supplied faceplate that came with the other gauges and then hope that the modification worked....i only had one shot.........and the idea was to do this as inexpensive as possible......

hi john

what about using a small square of velcro to cover the mp3 connector. do you think the velcro would be water proof enought? just a cheap idea. could use a small hole punch to open a hole to plug in a mp3 cord. and a little shot of wd-40 in the hole. then put the other peice of velcro to cover the whole thing up? just thinking outl oud

don c.

that would work......but they make these little, decorative, snap, button caps that fit over screw/bolt heads......i'm gonna try that....i may not have enough room, and i may have to get my dremel out flatten that slightly raised edge of the face plate.............and i'll have to glue it on.....this is the stuff you learn after the fact.........if i woulda made the hole a little higher, it would be a non issue

if you wanted you could just use an old rca plug and just plug that in.......

i don't think they will..........the width of the opening just allowed the three 11/2" i used........you would have to widen the the opening.....also, when you remove the cassette, you will see that it was mounted to a white box that also has and houses the idiot lights on either side of the cassette.........so, in widening the slot, you'd screw up the placement for these lights......the height is no problem

the only solution i thought of would be to place the gauges in a triangle arrangement...that would solve the width problem.....but then you gotta make your own faceplate....and you might start running into a height problem....

midrsv

there is a writeup in the tech. section here by "goose" who installed mechanical gauges on his bike.....if you look at that , you will see that a mechanical oil pressure gauge requires you to run a small line from the pressure point to the gauge. this line has oil in it....the mechanical water temp gauge requires a metal, flexible sensing tube to be run from the temp sensor to the gauge....all of this would have to be routed to the fairing

i thought i'd be smart and use electrical gauges that would just require an 18 gauge wire to be run from the sensors to the gauges, and avoid ,what i thought , would be rigging problems.

well, guess what....the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge is huge...it would not fit down in the space where you have to tap in to an oil pressure point....and there is no other place to tap into oil pressure ( it's down by your right foot, close to the exhaust pipe)..I even purchased another sender that was smaller, got it to fit, and the gauge didn't work because the sender and gauge have to have the same ohm rating ( money wasted)...soooo...i had to get adapters at advance auto, and a hydraulic hose ( 5/16")

and run that up to my fairing. rig a grounding wire to the sender, and tie wrap that in the fairing......the whole idea was to avoid having an oil source that could leak in the fairing. and now, instead of having a little 1/8" nylon tube, i've got a huge 5/16" rubber hose that i had to route up there.....

the electric water temp. was actually better than running the flexible, mechanical tube, but not that much better

the electrical gauges cost about $80....the mechanical are around $40

you can get white/black face gauges in mechanical...electrical only came in black face....from my searching