IGNORED

650 Vstar Classic oil filter

Mikealiasmike

OK here gos Look on the right hand side of the motor you will see a round cover with three bolts remove them next you will see some more bolts remove them also look up by the foot peg you will two more bolts remove them the cover should come off and you will see the oil filter. Now be very careful when installing the bolts people get into trouble here and strip threads in the block. I like to turn you on to a website that deacated to the Yamaha 650 V-Star. http://WWW.650ccnd.com

OK here gos Look on the right hand side of the motor you will see a round cover with three bolts remove them next you will see some more bolts remove them also look up by the foot peg you will two more bolts remove them the cover should come off and you will see the oil filter. Now be very careful when installing the bolts people get into trouble here and strip threads in the block. I like to turn you on to a website that deacated to the Yamaha 650 V-Star. http://WWW.650ccnd.com

Actually I went to a web site and saw just the 3 screws on the outside cover. Went outside and took it off and saw the other screws inside that and 2-3 on the rest of the cover but was afraid to open it in fear something might come undone. Going out to look. :fingers-crossed-emo God Bless. Mike

Just a little trivia and FYI the motor on the 650 V-Star was purchased by Mr. Yamaha some time back in the 1930's from Harley Davidson. It has under gone a lot of internal re-engineering but the out side is very close to what it looked like back then. The timing covers from a harley will bolt right on it.

Mike

You are right they are a pain! Right behind the right floor board...that also has to be loosened. Dust off some of that guard money and get her a oil filter relocater from barons..it will be the last time you take that pipe off for routine oil changes.

Got one for Marilyns bike..gonna put it on when we change her oil this spring. Pricey but....worth it for the time and risk of breaking bolts etc.

Mike

You are right they are a pain! Right behind the right floor board...that also has to be loosened. Dust off some of that guard money and get her a oil filter relocater from barons..it will be the last time you take that pipe off for routine oil changes.

Got one for Marilyns bike..gonna put it on when we change her oil this spring. Pricey but....worth it for the time and risk of breaking bolts etc.

Actually I did'nt have to take off or loosen the exhaust, floorboards or anything, actually Toride1 was right on the money on location and screws. Other then a few screws being longer and had to wiggle them out which was easy, It's done. For 230+ for a relocation kit I'll deal with the screws. The relocation kit is more for the 1100 Vstar which Slick would've been right on location also. It just had my nerves frazzeled trying to find the dam thing. Should've asked here first.

Note to : Toride1 Thanks a heap, I really appreciated the help I owe ya a drink of your choice. Thanks everyone for the responses, I learned something tonight. God Bless. Mike

Actually I did'nt have to take off or loosen the exhaust, floorboards or anything, actually Toride1 was right on the money on location and screws. Other then a few screws being longer and had to wiggle them out which was easy, It's done. For 230+ for a relocation kit I'll deal with the screws. The relocation kit is more for the 1100 Vstar which Slick would've been right on location also. It just had my nerves frazzeled trying to find the dam thing. Should've asked here first.

Note to : Toride1 Thanks a heap, I really appreciated the help I owe ya a drink of your choice. Thanks everyone for the responses, I learned something tonight. God Bless. Mike

Your welcome and I only do coffee. Now it may look like it leaking oil for the next two or three rides, but keep an eye on it, if needed try putting some grease on the rubber o-ring and give that a go.

Your welcome and I only do coffee. Now it may look like it leaking oil for the next two or three rides, but keep an eye on it, if needed try putting some grease on the rubber o-ring and give that a go.

I'll keep it in mind on watching 4 leaks. Hopefully there won't be any but if I find it to be a problem I might have to take Sarges advice on relocation kit... Hate dusting off my money though. I work so hard for it... :whistling: As for the trivia, I had no idea about the comparisions. Coming to the International rally in Ark? If so, I'll make a point to find a Dunkin donuts for ya. God Bless. mike

Sorry Mike, I guess I was thinking about the 1100. Hope I didn't waste any of your time

Ah heck no, you did'nt waste any at all. I truely appreciate the help we get here and from everything I had read I thought for sure you were right. But after looking I went back online and saw where someone had answered a question on another web site for a 650 and gave the answer for the 1100 also by mistake. Hope this makes sense. I really appreciated the responses and the quickness I got them. Hope to meet you someday as well as others. God Bless, Mike

Sorry Mike, I guess I was thinking about the 1100. Hope I didn't waste any of your time

Really the two motors are all most identical but for some reason you need to remove the front exhaust to get at the oil filter [bummer] this requires a new crush collar or exhaust gasket, so owning a Yamaha V-Star 1100, investing in a oil filter relocation is a smart investment

I have a 2002 V Star 650 Classic. I am the only wrencher to touch my bikes.

WORD OF CAUTION.

Way too easy to strip engine threads for the inside oil filter cover bolts. I haven't stripped mine (yet), but have seen some bikes that had to have heli coils installed due to overtightening.

I haven't done the oil filter relocation kit, but that is a very viable alternative. I've only seen the ones by Jardene installed. I think there is at least one other manufacturer.

Here's a note: I know the oil filter also fits my 1979 SR500 and the 1996 Virago 535 I had. I once had a 1982 Virago 750 and think it may have used that same filter too.

Hey Mike.

If you haven't seen this forum.

http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/archive/index.php/f-70.html

Here ya go. It's the url for the rear differential failures and Virago 535 gear swap. Look at the photos closely and you will see the pinion shaft splines stripped away from the 650 differential.

http://www.stargis.net/webslinger/Docs/XV535Reardriveswapfor650Vsta.pdf

OK Mike, not being an SA (yah right)... but how come you are just now doing an oil change on JoDee's ride????? :stirthepot: :rotfl: :duck:

Alright, now I'll shut up and get back on the roost....

Russ, JoDee don't ride her scooter very often at all. In fact, she just over the 5K mark end of last year. And since the first and second oil changes and maintenance were thrown in with the sale I never had to mess with it. So Mr. "I don't want to be a SA" I believe my point is made. Match and Set muahahaha. God Bless... yes Russ even you. Mike

Just join-up with that forum I showed you their a great bunch and there is a lot of people in your state that own these bikes and willing to help another owner out, they also do meet & greets where they rent out all the cabins at some camp ground for the whole weekend and these meet & greets are done by region with as many as 10 of them a year around the country. I have a 2005 Midnight Raven thats 650 custom that all blacked out.

Well to come to Russ' defense...I was wondering the same thing...only didnt have the..... to say anything...leave that alone Mike! Just as I left the other comment alone....but I do have to go for surgery to get my tongue fixed for biting it so hard! lol.

Well to come to Russ' defense...I was wondering the same thing...only didnt have the..... to say anything...leave that alone Mike! Just as I left the other comment alone....but I do have to go for surgery to get my tongue fixed for biting it so hard! lol.

Was it sooo hard not to verbally abusive to a fellow member and C/O? Why must you take so much pleasure from others lack of knowledge? Why must you be so sadistic and cruel? Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. :rotf::rotf::rotf: hope it hurt