Does it only have two wires?

You can use a multimeter, and set it on "ohms". Touch the leads together first(without touching the metal leads with your hands), and make sure you get continuity(0 ohms).

That verifies the meter is working and that the leads are good.

Now, attach a lead to each wire. Meter should say OL or infinity, or something like that.

Now, push the button with the leads attached, and the meter should read the same as when you shorted the leads together before(0 ohms).

I don't have a schematic for your model to look at, but it should just be a simple two wires. That's how it is in the '83-'85 manual.

Edited by Monty

The starter button activates the starter solenoid and turns the lights OFF when pushed. There is way too much current for these tiny contacts in my opinion. They are exposed to weather and dirt. Use contact cleaner or brake cleaner to periodically clean them. They can be carefully disassembled and the contacts cleaned with fine sandpaper for a longer lasting fix. Dielectric grease helps too.

I took my lights out of this circuit and this switch only runs a DPDT relay coil for all the lights.