IGNORED

New Seat or Butler seat mod

Bigfoot

Mods,

Please move if necessary but it relates to a long trip I'm planning. I've talked with member Rick Butler regarding a seat modification he does but am not completely convinced it is for me. I am preparing to take a 30 day ride starting around Aug 1. I've already posted some info on this here already. My 04 RSV has the stock seat which is not the most comfortable seat around obviously. I am a big man- 6'5 and 275 so there's a lot of weight on the seat which of course hurts the ole butt cheeks after a couple hours. I know Rick's modifications relieves pressure around the tailbone but I really believe most of my pain is around the cheek areas.

I'm trying to figure out what others have done here where the mods they made were worthwhile. I've heard nothing but good things with Rick's seat mods but I've also heard some good things regarding newer seats. Any thoughts or actual stories would be most appreciated.

Wayne,

I've had my seat modified by Rick Butler and I'm a big guy as well. I haven't had the chance to take it on a really long ride but I've noticed that I'm not moving around trying to find a comfortable position anymore.

One other option I've found is from an outfit here in Indiana. They take your seat and tear it down to the pan then build it up with two different kinds of foam based on your weight. Cost was around 150 bucks. I can get the website for you if your interested.

Long story short is the Butler mod is better than stock hands down. I don't know about the other place but thought I'd throw that out there.

Bob

Wayne, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. I got the seat mod done this winter and am going on a 4000 mile / 5 day trip at the end of April. If I am still walking in May, it will have been a success. I will be supplementing the seat mod with a sheep skin. This is to keep the monkeybutt at bay.

If it works like advertised, you could save a lot of gas money with the ButtButler.

Edit: Forgot to add - I am about your size 6'4", 260 or so.

RR

Edited by RedRider

We had the Butler mod done to our seats last September before we rode to Memphis for the St. Jude run. My 06 Black cherry has the Midnight seats on it. They weren't terrible before the mod but after we could and did ride all day with no discomfort at all. We put on 1310 miles that weekend and weren't sore at all. In fact on Sunday we rode from Nashville TN all the way back to Elkhart IN, almost 500 miles. Before we would have been sore for a couple days after riding like that for a weekend, with the mod neither of us had any problem at all. As Mariner Fan said it's comfortable right away, no moving around finding a good position. My wife and I were very impressed and feel that this is a very worthwhile mod and pretty cheap to boot. By the way I am 6 foot and at that time weighed about 285 lbs.

WOW, Kinda Strange... I JUST sent an Email to Rick,

(then logged onto here and this was the first post) :confused24: (twilight zone?)

Telling him

how great his mod is for us. We have no more pain..

I have lower back problems and my BUTT Cheeks are not

sore anymore! I would recommend this before going out

and buying a different seat

I also had the inseam narrowed as well. that is a real plus!

GREAT JOB RICK! :thumbsup2:

Jeff