IGNORED

Garmin 550 Zumo

Roadhand

I need some of your help.

I have a Garmin 550 and I wanted to load some of my music onto an SD card.

When I connect it to my laptop and explore, all I see is two files

One is the Garmin (looks like GPX files)

The other says MP3. when I explore the MP3 it has a few songs BUT not from the SD card.

How do you make the thing read the SD card?

This is really a furstrating thingand I know you can help

Sendme a PM or call me @ 512-699-2131

Thanks in advance for your help as I am sure some of you have had the same issue??

The MP3 file you saw is actually on the Zumo 550. If you have a SD card in the Zumo then you should see it as another Drive. Like your CD/DVD drive would be D: the Zumo SD card would be E:, F:, G: a letter like that. You can make a MP3 folder or just load the songs to the SD card, the Zumo should read it either way and put them in the right order.

OK, I may be on my way (no pun intended)

Do I understand you correctly as I could rename the MP3 folder on the Zumo to whatever I want?

I may have fouund the extra drive as you stated and I am copying some music as I type.

I guess it was never reading the extra SD card I had it it before??

If I placed pictures in the SD card I guess it would read them as well?

Sorry to sound so stupid but this thing has me in circles.

Maybe best if I walk away and come back to it.

I did try to read directions but it seems I hit a roadblock with this task.

I do appreciate your information

Roadhand ,

First off , I would "NOT" rename the MP3 folder on the Zumo !

If I am reading you correctly and assuming , there is no reason for you to have your Zumo connected to the computer via the transfer cable for this task . You do not have to rename any files at all . Under the Zumo is the SD card slot , take the SD card out , plug into SD slot into computer . Go to your music folder where you have your MP3's located on your computer . Right click on the song and click "send" to the drive on which the SD card is located . Another way to do so , is to open 2 windows . One , bring the drive the SD card is located , the second is the folder where the MP3's are . To find what drive you placed your SD card into , insert SD card , click on "My computer" on desktop" . You will see your SD card on a new drive letter appear . It may say brand name of the SD card or Removeable disk . This is your path to the SD card . You can click on it to open that folder . I normaly make them about the same size , side by side . Then drag the song over from the music window onto the SD card window . This will copy the songs onto the SD card . Once you completed all the song transfers , your done . Close all windows .

Now re-inset SD card into ZUMO and enjoy .

The MP3 floder in the Zumo is internal memory . If memory serves me correctly , there are several boring songs already preloaded . You can connect Zumo to computer , navigate to that folder and delete or add several more songs if you wish , but I rather delete and give the Zumo more free space on it's hard drive for other info. data .

Hope this helps you out .

BEER30

Your explorer will see the SD card just move the music to it.

(like SaltyDawg says)

You can name a folder on that SD if you would like.

You also do not need to load anymore then 1000 songs

on the 550, as it will not see anymore then that.

Do not be worried if it takes 3 -5 Min's to load all of

the music when you turn your Zumo on.

Also check out the Zumo forum,

Lots of help there regarding this matter.

Good luck and enjoy your 550 , I know I do.

Jeff

I also read on a Zumo forum that the unit will initialize the song list quicker if you create multiple folders and not dump all the songs into one. I created a number of folders and just named them M1, M2, M3, etc. Put maybe 100 or so songs in a folder? Maybe somebody else can elaborate on this. It works fine for me and seems to initialize quicker when I turn the unit on. The 1000 song limit is my only complaint with the unit. It took me a while to decide which songs I wanted to have with me all the time. I think I ended up with 997 songs on the SD card. Of course it would be easy enough to carry an extra SD card with another 1000 songs but I finally decided I was being silly...1000 songs is plenty.

While we're on the Zumo, has anyone been able to put the member list on their Zumo 550? I know Tom had a thread about this a while back, but I don't remember a solution being posted. But heck, I'm old, I probably just don't remember. :confused24:

Ponch

Put your SD card in an external card reader. You can get one at walmart if you don't have one. If it won't read the card at all reformat it and select the Fat32 file system. Then convert any songs to MP3 and put them on the card. You should be good to go then

I think my problem is the iTunes format. It is MA4 when maybe the Zumo will only read MP3

??

I just copied to the SD card but the Zumo does not reconize the SD card

??

Yes, that is a problem. That's why I don't buy music from Itunes. I buy mine from Amazon in standard MP3 format.

DT

• 2 weeks later...

I have been think about getting a GPS to be used on my bike, and in our vehicles. The only time that I would need it on the bike is during my usual 2 week trip in the summer. The rest on the time it would probably be used in a vehicle. I don't require the bluetooth, but would use one capable with MP3. Cost is not an issue, but I don't want to pay for a product that offers thing I will never use. I would appreciate any advice. Thank in advance,

Ron, Watrous,Sask.:think:

Doesn't sound like you need much.. I myself have the Zumo 550

but I use ever bit of it's features. it also weather proof and

shock proof for the bike. if you want to down size a bit

Just get a $199.00 Tom-Tom. that sounds like it might work

for you.. I have a OLD OLD StreetPilot 2610 You can have

for the shipping cost.

Jeff

I have been think about getting a GPS to be used on my bike, and in our vehicles. The only time that I would need it on the bike is during my usual 2 week trip in the summer. The rest on the time it would probably be used in a vehicle. I don't require the bluetooth, but would use one capable with MP3. Cost is not an issue, but I don't want to pay for a product that offers thing I will never use. I would appreciate any advice. Thank in advance,

Ron, Watrous,Sask.:think:

I have a garmin nuvi 750 but there are lots in the nuvi line, its a widescreen works great, has the mp3 and fm pickup and you can get one under $200. Ram mounts under left mirror stem its a nice set-up at a reasonable cost.:080402gudl_prv: Craig

Thank you for ordering from Garmin International. You are a valued customer and we appreciate your business.

At this time, I regret to inform you that an item you ordered is on back order. We apologize for any inconvenience.

You can expect to receive your order within the week of 4/10/09. Your order reference number is xxxxxxxx.

If you need further assistance please contact employee.purchaseorders@garmin.com.

Thanks and have a great day.

Thank you,

Garmin International

Employee Purchases

Direct: 913-440-8900

Fax: 913-440-8866

I'm really torn on this. If you shop around, you can get the 550's for around the $650.00 range - the 660 will stay at retail for a while, I bet. I love the screen on the 660 - and the lane assist, etc. I have a J & M unit on my RSTD - and an XM radio - so I am thinking if I went with the 550 - I could lose the XM Roady - and have everything in one as they say. With the 660, I would still need to have the Roady which is OK. I just wonder how I would hook everything up - I don't have bluetooth so I don't know how I would hear that obnoxious voice (you missed your turn, dummy - :rotf:).

I am tecknology challenged - and know if I got the 550 - many wise people here could assist. What to do - hmm............................