IGNORED

WARNING about Progressive Insurance!!!!

V7Goose

Bit confused here.

It seems that one of the concers was that Progressive would not cover the living expenses (motel, food, etc).

Is this even covered in the policy?

If not, how can anyone expect to get reimbursed for something not covered by the policy?

Just curious.

I was wondering the same thing? I have progressive and looked over my policy, I have Roadside Assistance but it doesnt mention anything about hotels and food? It sounds as tho this adjuster didnt handle things very well. Last year in Asheville I had alittle smash, I cant say enough about the way progressive handled it, I was concerned about it being an out of state nitemare, but the adjuster I dealt with was great. Sorry Goose and his Brother didnt have the same experience. Craig

Hey Cerberus,

Motel and other expenses are not generally covered in the standard policy. Some companies do have an optional coverage called trip interruption that will provide lodging and meals if you are more than 100 miles from home. I always encourage people to include this coverage as it is only about $10.00 per year. In the case talked about here if I was the agent and one of my insured's was treated this way I would talk to the claims supervisor and lean on him or her to pay the lodging and meals to keep good will. This is the advantage of dealing with an agent as oppposed to calling an 800 number. If you are dealing direct with the company you are only one customer. As the agent I have many customers with the company so if my insured isn't being treated fairly I can tell the company that I will move all of my customers to another company if they aren't fair. For example I do over $500,000 in annual premium with progressive so they want to keep me happy. Call GEICO and ask for the person that gave you the quote. You probably can't talk to that person again but if you do, tell them you are having a problem with a claim and need their help. Here is what they will say, "I'm sorry but the claims department handles that, I only handle quoting and writing policies." That person is an employee of GEICO and if they say anything to the claims department they will be told to stick to quoting and leave the claims to them. I mentioned the magistrate court judge in an earlier post. I'll give you a good example of the advantage of dealing with an agent regarding the judge. He had his autos insured with me. His son totaled out his vehicle. The judge thought he had liability only on the vehicle so he sold the vehicle to a salvage yard. I told the judge that he had colllision on the vehicle so he needed to file a claim. I fliled the claim and the claims rep showed up to inspect the vehicle. The judge told the rep the vehicle was totaled so he sold it to a salvage yard. The claims rep went to the salvage yard to inspect the vehicle and the salvage had already disposed the vehicle. A few days later the judge called me because he had received a letter from the company denying to pay the claim. All policies state that the company has the right to inspect the damaged property and if they can't they can deny the claim. I called the company, Safeco Insurance Company, and got the vice president of claims on the phone. I explained the circumstances to her and told her I could personally vouch for the judge and that it was an honest mistake on his part and that the vehicle was totaled. The vice president said, " You are our agent and if you say that was the case we will send a check for payment today for $7,600.00. I can guarantee you if you were dealing with a one company agent or 800 gottago that would never happen. The company would tell the employee to tend to their business and let the claims department tend to theirs.

No matter what insuarnce company you are with the claims adjuster handling your case is a big factor. Example in my accident my bike was written of the adjuster told me the buy back on the bike would be $1,300.00 . I was leaving for 4 mths vacation so asked I if I could make my decision when i got back. In the mean time this person for reasons unknown to me was no longer with the company. The person who took over the handling of my claim informed me my settlement was $300 dollars higher then I was first told and the buy back would be only $200.00 go figure. She also went out of her way to help me straighten out a flawed rookies police report so I would not be held 50% at fault. BTW I am insured with Kingsway insurance.

We had a similar experience in Nevada a few years back with Progressive although our claim was with a pickup, made promises that they never kept and were very unresponsive.

Why we got Progressive for our bikes is beyond me but we are up in June and we too will be looking to make some changes in support.

I also like the idea of passing this link on to Progressive adjusters.

George (Sleeperhawk),

I have Allstate on my cars. Ironically when I called my agent to ask about covering my "new" bike, he told me to call Geico, as Allstate could not compete.

Not promoting the little green lizard, but just relaying my experience...

I sent the following email to the PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE COMPANY today 3-26-09, at 2:40 PM at the following email address: https://www.progressive.com/contact-us.aspx

My name is Earl Harrell and I have Progressive Ins. on my 1987 Yamaha

Venture Royale with your Company. I am an Avid rider and belong to a

riding group called VentureRider.Org with over 6000 members, most of which

have their Cycle Ins. with your company. During a resent post in a thread

about a claim that is being handled by your company, I have started to

develop doubts about the quality of the service your company provides.

Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33714

As I continue to follow this thread, If I do not see a positive outcome to

the Ins. claim I will be looking for a different Ins. provider in the near

future. I have assured the rider having the problem with his claim that

Progressive Ins. provides a quality Ins. product, (If I didn't believe

that I wouldn't have my Ins. with your company) and that Progressive will

take care of them. If this proves to be untrue, myself and I AM SURE many

of the other riders in our group of over 6000 will be changing our Cycle

Ins. to say GEICO or one of the other Biker friendly Ins. companies. No

reply to this email will further deepen my concerns about my choice of

Ins. Carrier.

Please don't let me down and thank you for your time,

Earl Harrell

Testimonial: yes

EmailCopy: yes

This is an excerpt of the email and I deleted my personal information about my policy number, drivers license number, etc. Please take a moment and send your own email, please feel free to copy mine. Let's show some collective support for a fellow VENTURERIDER.ORG Member, I'm SURE he would do the same for one of us! If I get a reply, I will post it on this thread.

Just my thoughts,

Earl

I have had Geico Insurance on my bikes since probably 1980 or somewhere in that area.

Through the years I might get a speeding ticket every 4 or 5 years.

Well I got one year ago February for 12 over in 55. I had been paying around $215.00 for two bikes with only liability. And I have the 500,000.00 limits and $100.00 deductible.

Got my new policy and now I'm high risk, $540.00 per year.

Switched insurance companies and now I pay $225.00 full coverage for both bikes with motel, towing and rental. Also turns out I didn't have any Medical insurance with Geico either.

I do have to agree with the person about how good an insurance company is. Seems like a lot of companies are the same, some days you are their best customer and the next time they don't want to talk to you.

I have several stories about insurance companies and some are good stories but that's for another time.

BOO

2 gentlemen finally picked it up. :happy65: (Very loose on that noun) 3:30 pm. Thursday 3/26/09 9 days after promising it would be out of here. Several times heard it would be out today or within an hour. YA Right!

I had to threaten, :stickpoke:steal, borrow, push, kick,:buttkick: the main progressive agent who wasn't even in town (in Dallas). Local guy never returned a call. Ya, I have Progressive on my cars too. Renew????

These pick up guys said they had to contact Tom get it it released, but Progressive and salvage co. (3rd party) never gave them my number. How stupid!! :puzzled:

Here's how I dealt with Progressive when one of their insured sideswiped my Chrysler.

I got the whole run around, and strangely enough, my adjuster had personal stuff to attend to like the one on vacation. I was assured that another would step in, which they did not. After about two weeks of this crap, i called the complaint line on the progressive website. I gave teh case number to the person on the phone, and when asked what I needed, I just said "I need the 800 number to the Kansas insurance commissioner, cause I am tired of you bastards jacking me around." The tone changed really quickly to "Now, just wait, let us try and help you... yadda yadda..." I finally got the number from her. It was a battle. Before I could even hang up the phone the adjuster was calling me on the other line. They gave me everything I asked for, and when GAP kicked in, I got a bout $1500 over the payoff of the loan.

I still called the insurance commission and talked to a rep there, they said they would "look into it"

I got a speeding ticket in Nov. in Ohio. We will see what State Farm does to me. If it skyrockets, I will be looking elsewhere. Especially in this economy, can't really afford much more than what I was paying. In my opinion, insurance companies shouldn't raise rates for any reason, period. You pay rates to cover things when it comes time for payable claims. They are an insurance co., they have to keep funds in reserves just for claims alone. It defeats the purpose of having insurance by raising rates IMO. Might as well pay out of pocket instead. Considering I hadn't had a speeding ticket prior to that in like 10 yrs, they should take that into consideration but doubt they will. If that is the route they want to pursue, then I will tell them I will find some other company.

Couple years ago wife and I were considering switching everything from State Farm to Allstate. I never cancelled State Farm. After getting the 1st round of paperwork from the agent he had marked several things that I didn't authorize. Honestly can't remember what those items are right now but I could probably still find it if I cared to look. It seemed it was stuff like I had such and such item on the house (like a barn or something), when I didn't. I typically don't throw things away (heck I still have paystubs from like '94 from places I don't work for anymore). Anyway, I had him redo it. This time the paperwork was formatted completely different. Couldn't understand that, as the paperwork came out of the same printer. Went over the documentation again and found different inconsistencies. It was saving me around $300-$400 annually (from what I remember, it could have been more like $200 as far as I know at this point), but I dumped Allstate w/in a week. In the process I spoke to a C.S. Rep supervisor about it who asked for whatever State Farm documenation showing I still had coverage. The supervisor said he would personally call me. I questioned him about it and he said he would do it. At least he actually did it on the day he said he would. I did pay the agent for the insurance and when talking to the supervisor he said I would get a refund. He never mentioned how much, but I was expecting a full refund. After thinking about it, I technically used or had Allstate coverage for a short period. I calculated how much it cost for the time frame that I "used" the coverage for and what I got back was about the difference between the 2, so I didn't pursue it further. Anyway from that one experience, I am staying away from Allstate.

For the most part everyone seems to be happy with their insurance coverage until you have to file a claim.

I was trying to do a last minute turn in May of 2006. I was looking for the entrance ramp on the right, but it was to the left. Just barely caught a hole that took me down. I was and am insured with Progressive. That was a week before I was to report for deployment. Progressive handled everything, responded to all my needs and when I got back from Iraq my baby was all pretty and new-like.

Sorry to hear about those who have had problems, but I can tell you that Geico, State Farm, and USAA have all gotten on my bad side. Kinda makes me think it is probably the workers we deal with, rather than the companies that make the difference in how we view things.

Guest cyote61

Folks, I'll keep this short and sweet about my problem with Progressive. Other than the agent showing up to look at the bike the day after the accident, everything else I was told was pretty much BS>

I was told sit tight and someone would call me the next day and get everything resolved. Did not happen, no calls at all and no return calls for 5 days. Messages left everyday and no one returned any of them. I was told to sit tight. Was lied to more than once about someone was on the way to pick up bike. I was treated with total lack of respect for a customer that was stranded 2000 miles from home and injured. I over nighted paper work for bike and claim, it was singed for but they seemed to not know where it was at. More people went on vacation and they got blamed. "Called passing the buck". I sat for five days in El Paso waiting to hear from them. That costs money! Several days after the accident I stopped in McAllen TX to pick up my claim check on the motorcycle and was treated like crap in my estimation. Standing there with three broken ribs and more problems, they shoved paper through a teller type window and did not even ask me to sit down. I have asked for a small portion of the costs to "sit tight" in El Paso while they ignored me and have been told NOPE ain't in the policy!!!!! My response was, and neither was it in the policy that you could not return my calls for five days and leave me stranded until I ran one of you down!!!!!!!!!!! Their comment to that was, sorry but that's the way it is. Now your probably thinking I asked for a bunch of money? Nope, $300.00 is all I asked them to consider, which is a very small protion of the actural costs.

My next items on the list are to notify three more forums I belong too which including this one comes to about 25000 members total. But first the Georgia Insurance commissioner will be contacted too. :Laugh:

What foolish people these are. What little I asked for in reimbursement for only a portion of costs they'll loose more on in just a couple of policy cancellations. Buy the time they answer the commissioners office its going to get expensive for them. I have two vehicles insured with them and no claims, so there goes the first two.

Guest cyote61
Yep, but to win it has to be not true!

That is correct. Thank you for adding that. You folks can either believe the story or not. Your choice.

All conversations with this insurance company and its reps, whether in person or on the phone were witnessed by others. Phone conversations were on a speaker phone with others present.

I, along with others thought it important to share this experience with other motorcycle brothers. It is supposed to be the "American way" to voice your opinion and personal experience when you feel someone you've done business with has not treated you properly. :301:

Guest BigJohnD
Guys & Gals,

I had an excellent Progressive Claim last summer. Hmmmmm?

+1 here...no issues, no worries, no rate increase...easy as pie.

Guest tx2sturgis

My one and only claim with Dairyland Insurance, 11 years ago, was handled well. Of course, at the time, I had a lawyer representing me in an accident, and our principal claim was against the other party's insurance company. We filed a claim with Dairyland for the uninsured/underinsured portion of my policy and received it immediately.

I cant say whether the company responded so fast because they were dealing with my attorney, but it was remarkable how fast they issued a check, after a simple phone call from my lawyer, in stark comparison to the complete run-around we were given by the other insurance company, even though that companys client, the gal that hit me, was deemed at fault.