hmmm i have the Venture toolkit with my 85 G1 with the wrenches screwdrivers, and sparkplug wrench, but no bandaids:think: and no dipstick:think:. Ive never heard of a dipstick actually. There is no real specific spot to put the leather pouch that I am aware of, mine just rides in the left side bag.

Brian

I am guessing a previous owner kept yours, and Ive never seen a dipstick in mine.

Edited by friesman

Actually Monty, I'm sure you'll get more feedback on this since theres so many 1st gen owners on here. They like to remind us how much faster they are and we remind them to keep tightening bolts cause the next thing to fall off might be a fender etc... Hope you get your answer. God Bless. Mike

my 86 VR has a strap in the right saddle bag that is for holding the tool kit.

the factory kits come up on e-bay from time to time, but the SAME guy has been buying almost all of them, and they go for more than $100!

The VR kit has a neat zippered bag with sockets and pockets that is a quality vinyl and padded unlike the cheap kits on most bikes. Tools are still pretty cheap though better than most.

I refused to pay $100 for the kit so someone on this list was kind enough to sell me a kit from their RSV and I just added to it. Put it in the same spot. If your strap is missing from the saddlebag, you can use about any strap material, the slots should still be there.

The manual refers to a dipstick that is in the tool kit for measuring the final drive oil, but doesn't say anything else about the toolkit.

If those of you who are still riding the first gens will look in a mirror...you will find your dipstick. :rotfl:

JUST KIDDING...I just thought of that and couldn't let it pass by. :)

Man, I can't believe Don would say something like that. I seem to remember a couple of 1st gen owners having to push start our illustrious leaders bike at a Vogel rally a couple of years ago.

Now regarding the toolkit, my '88 model doesn't have any straps to hold it in the saddle bags, but it is a fairly good kit. Like someone said, you could buy a pretty good set of tools for what it will cost on ebay. Maybe someone has a list of tool supplied with a 1st gen. As far as the dipstick it concerned, I think most check the oil level with their little finger.

Some of us are financially challenged, and can't afford a 2nd gen like some of you.

(hmmm, maybe I SHOULD pay the membership fee and just join the other site, if I'll just get made fun of here).

The strap is in the saddlebag, but not the kit. I already carry way more tools than the kit would have anyway. Was just wondering where it was. Sorry to bother.

Some of us are financially challenged, and can't afford a 2nd gen like some of you.

(hmmm, maybe I SHOULD pay the membership fee and just join the other site, if I'll just get made fun of here).

The strap is in the saddlebag, but not the kit. I already carry way more tools than the kit would have anyway. Was just wondering where it was. Sorry to bother.

I should warn you if you can't stand a little ridicule your in the wrong place, all in good jest of course. It seems most of the previous owners of these bikes took the tool kit when sold the bike, like the 2nd gen I have and I got threw a dealer I got the owners manual but not the tool kit.

You know, there is a lot of fun teasing that goes on here. I've owned 3 first gens and they are great bikes. I listen to teasing all the time here about how slow our second gens are. I take it in the joking manner in which it is offered. I'm not rich either. If I had to buy another bike right now, I would probably do without.

If you are that thin skinned then by all means pay your membership fee and join the other site. No offense was meant but if you get offended that easily, you have probably joined the wrong group. Let me know if you want your membership/profile here deleted. I try to run a nice site and am here to enjoy the company, not respond to this type of thing.

I am not easily offended, and I dish it out too. I just have noticed there seems to be sort of a "click" thing with new gen vs old gen, after reading back a bit in the forums.

The thing is, I was asking for help, and seemed to be just getting bs answers. I joke too, but when someone needs help, I try to help them the best I can.

hi monty

i bought a used 2 gen 3 1/2 years ago, couldn't affored a new rsv or another bike. fell in love with this one and did good to get this one financed. never looked at a 1'st gen didn't know they exised till after i got my 2'nd gen. there are a lot of good people on this site. we have fun and have made fun at each other. but isen't that what family & friends do is poke fun at each other. the ventureriders are a big family all willing to help where they can. hope you stay around.

best reguards

don c.

Hi, this is the best site to be on for us Venture riders, so stick with it, I'm quite sure you can dish out the stick as good as the rest.

Like most of the guys have said, you'll find it hard to get hold of an original 1st gen tool kit, you can, however, buy some of tools NEW, like the final drive measuring stick, take a look in the parts catalogue, which you can also download from this great site.:080402gudl_prv:

If you buy a 1stGen and it comes with a mint-ish tool kit, it's a mericle. If it has a tool kit, and the bag is sorta chewed up, consider yourself blessed. If the tools are laying in a pile at the bottom of a saddle bag or trunk.... but are all there.... you're fortunate. If you didn't get a tool kit you're just like most of us. And if anyone gives you a choice of either going on a dipstick or snipe hunt....pick the snipe.... :whistling: