IGNORED

Front Brake Caliper Seal Kit Part Number

Finally managed to change all three sets of brake pads out for EBC FA123HH's, can not believe the difference over the stock Sumitomo pads.

One thing I noticed was some slight contamination of the left front pads due to brake fluid leakage, not sure if I managed to drip some fluid out of the bleeder the last time I flushed the brakes or if the piston seals actually leak.

Anyway, I was looking at the parts diagram for my '89 VR (http://tinyurl.com/4kefl2) and noticed two part numbers for the caliper seal kit: Ref# 6: 1KT-W0047-00-00 and Ref# 15: 1NL-W0047-00-0, price is within a few $$$.

I don't have any idea what the difference between these two kits is, maybe somebody has ran into this problem before?

Thanks in advance,

Klaus

The difference is between the left and right calipers. One is a 7M (cm diameter I believe) piston and the other is an 8M piston, same as the rear. Sorry, I can't remember which is which, but after rebuilding 3 complete sets of calipers this winter, I haqve to agree, BIG BUX! You need 2 sets per caliper as the kit only does 1/2 of the caliper, 2 pistons. The number is stamped on the center of the piston, either 7M or 8M, and is quite apparent by the size difference.

Use compressed air to get the pistons out before disassembling. Also, put a thin piece of metal or wood between the halves before putting air to the calipers to prevent just one of the pistons from popping out before the others have had a chance to come out. I used a couple of paint stir sticke, then just 1 and finally none to get the pistons as far out as possible. You will want to clean and polish each piston to minimumize the possibility of a leak as well as insure smooth operation. I used a 6 in bench buffer or grinder with a buffing wheel attached. Also, you will find would have to get maybe $50 for the pair plus shipping. The seals were inspected with a 5X eye loupe and selected from all the old seals after being cleaned up. Dylanders were honed and pistons polished, but were found with slight scratches on the pistons but work fine with air anyways...

Klaus

The O rings look the same but they are different sizes..If you install the smaller of the two in the place where the larger one is suppose to go then it won't seat into the groove properly and will wind up getting cut when you put in the piston....

I found this out the hard way and had to order more O rings...I'd recommend emailing or calling Rick at

www.buckeyeperformance.com He's a fellow Venture rider that sells parts for our bikes...Nice guy and he'll answer all your questions....Good prices also..

If I remember correctly the right front and the rear have the 8cm pistons and the left front has the 7cm pistons. You will need to order two O"Ring kits for each caliper. I would also suggest a light hone of the piston bores with oil and polishing of the pistons for smooth action. When you reassemble the pistons with the new O"Rings use a light coat of brake fluid as a lube, wipe off excess after assembly. Remember there is nothing inside of the caliper that retracts the brake pads from the rotor so if you don't do a good job cleaning the pistons and bores the pads will drag and you will overheat the rotor.

Earl

Let me clarify something....After you get the pistons out (I used air pressure to do it) you will then remove the old O rings..There is an inner and outer O ring in each chamber..The inner and outer O rings are a different size...That's where I messed up, I thought they'd be the same size but they're not and I wound up damaging the O rings..after I thought I was done the calipers leaked..... I discovered that I had put the smaller O ring where the larger one should have gone....Its an easy mistake to make if you don't know they are different sizes...Now you know

Just for some technical info, the inner seal, the wider one, is the actual seal. The outer one, the thinner one, is actually a wiper to wipe off any brake fluid that may have gotten past he seal on the excursion out, and to wipe off any exterior contamination on the way back in...

Bob

You're absolutely right..What I was trying to convey to Klaus is the inner and outer are different sizes even though they look the same...

To show you how dumb I am, when I got my caliper rebuilding kit with all the O rings I was wondering why there were different part numbers on the packages...DUH....(one for inner, one for outer)

Live and learn I guess

Thanks for all the comments, I was not aware that there is was a size difference between the left and right front calipers.

I will order two seal kits for the left front caliper and see how bad the pistons are, not sure why just the left front is leaking.

On a different note, a few people have converted to the R1/R6 style calipers. Are the piston sizes on these calipers different too, left to right? I would assume they are the same size due to not being linked as they are in the 1st Gen. Any ill effects after the update? Also, do the R1/R6 calipers use the same brake pad?

Thanks again,

Klaus

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

FIRST things FIRST: Thanks to you all for your responses!

This is a NEW THREAD.

I purchased the kit(s) from Brake Crafters.

btw I emailed my ? to them through their web site this eve. and have rec'd an answer within the hour! That's GREAT customer service!