IGNORED

'07 RSV didn't start this morning... Any advice?

I need y'all's collective experience to hopefully save me some troubleshooting time. I know I have warranty left but I would rather KNOW what's wrong before I take it to a dealer, IF I take it in at all.

I backed the RSV out of the garage this morning to ride to work. Turned on the key and heard the fuel pump click a couple of times. Push the starter button, heard a click then no lights, no nothing. Since I put the pigtail for the BatteryMinder on a couple of weeks ago I figure that a terminal is loose. Took the seat off and checked but it's all tight. Turned the key off then back on and dash lights and everything else has power again. Push the starter button and nothing but a loud click that sounds like it's from under the right side cover. I did double check the battery and it's fully charged; in fact I keep it on the BatteryMinder now.

Is there a main circuit breaker behind the right side cover? Does this sound like something anyone here has experienced? If it is a circuit breaker then something is triggering it. Any thoughts before I start checking it out would be helpful.

I know sometimes when you test a battery you may get 12+ volts but you may have a bad cell and not have the cranking amps to do the job.

I would take the battery to your local parts store and have it tested? Most of the places here will not charge for this and then you can eliminate the battery from that point anyway?:2cents:

Bryan

Guest tx2sturgis

This sounds to me like either a dead cell or two in the battery OR a corrosion buildup on the battery terminals. Just for grins, loosen the battery terminal bolts, spray in some WD40 and then tighten them back up. ( I know you checked everything including the voltage...just humor me here!) Also, hook up a digital volt meter across the battery terminals and check the voltage drop when you hit the starter button. Let us know what you find!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Wouldn't start. Its probably the battery but.. You will also get a similar issue with the ignition switch. IF the fuel pump powers up its most likely your battery. I had an issue with the ignition and the lights radio and acces worked but the fuel pump did not run and the bike would not fire up. I guess the real question is....If you jump[ start it does it work??? That would be the first TS I used to determine the starting point. If it starts with a jump you are not getting enough juice due to battery conditions...corossion, connections or a bad battery.I have a weak battery and if I run my driving lights without ocassionally putting my 99 on the tender I only get one chance to start it before I get the clicking that tells me I am going to need to jump start the bike. Just not ready to buy a new battery yet.

Hope it works out for you

First thing I would check is the 15 Amp Ignition fuse. There are about 7 or 8 sysems downline from that fuse that might have popped it. ( TCI, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, barrow sensor, Ignition coils etc. )

Next of course, would be the Ignition Switch itself, which is a known issue on these bikes.

Listion for the fuel pump running--- then drain one carb, to bleed off fuel pressure if its built up, this will force the fuel pump to run, you should hear it clicking !!

Do all the lighting systems work ??? does the Audio system work, if not, check the 40 Amp main fuse.

However, most likley its your Ignition switch.

Thanks for all the responses!

It may be the battery and I'm going to check it out first.

I only had a couple of minutes before I had to jump on the Roadie and get to work so I didn't check much before I left. I downloaded the parts diagram and the service manual here at work and I've been going over them. I don't find a circuit breaker anywhere but from what I can see the starter relay is in the area where I heard that loud click.

I'll know more after I get home this evening.

Thanks for the offer Wes but I'll just bring one of the jump boxes from work. I may just forget it till this weekend... but I doubt I can. LoL

EDIT: The more I think about it the less I think battery, but I've been fooled before. When I turn on the key everything is super bright from the dash lights to the headlight. But when I bump the starter switch I hear the loud click and then it's all instantly dead... until I turn the key off and back on. Then it's all hot again.

Oh well, we will see!

Edited by BigBoyinMS

IF this is the first time you tried to start your bike since you put the pigtail on for the BatteryMinder a couple of weeks ago ........then I would have to revist those connections..

Sounds like the battery, but just wondering if you dont have a short in the BatteryMinder cable which may have shorted your battery out.

The cable itself "could be" bad..:confused24:

IF this is the first time you tried to start your bike since you put the pigtail on for the BatteryMinder a couple of weeks ago ........then I would have to revist those connections..

Sounds like the battery, but just wondering if you dont have a short in the BatteryMinder cable which may have shorted your battery out.

I've actually put about 500 miles on it since adding the pigtail. But that was my first thought too. Checked it first as far as looseness. And no corrosion at all on the terminals.

Sometimes one may think that the BatteryMinder is connected, but it may possibly not making a good contact on the post. How old is the battery?

I need y'all's collective experience to hopefully save me some troubleshooting time. I know I have warranty left but I would rather KNOW what's wrong before I take it to a dealer, IF I take it in at all.

I backed the RSV out of the garage this morning to ride to work. Turned on the key and heard the fuel pump click a couple of times. Push the starter button, heard a click then no lights, no nothing. Since I put the pigtail for the BatteryMinder on a couple of weeks ago I figure that a terminal is loose. Took the seat off and checked but it's all tight. Turned the key off then back on and dash lights and everything else has power again. Push the starter button and nothing but a loud click that sounds like it's from under the right side cover. I did double check the battery and it's fully charged; in fact I keep it on the BatteryMinder now.

Is there a main circuit breaker behind the right side cover? Does this sound like something anyone here has experienced? If it is a circuit breaker then something is triggering it. Any thoughts before I start checking it out would be helpful.

Trade it in for 1st gen :bikersmilie:

That is a major battery failure, not just a worn out battery. No way any battery should fail at all in two years, but your type of failure is obviously an internal problem. I'd jut go into a Yamahaha shop and tell them you want a warranty replacement - be assertive but nice, clearly indicating you know what is wrong and that it absolutely should be covered (as opposed to tentatively asking if they will cover it). May not work, but I think you have a better than even chance of getting it replaced. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Ok, 2 year old battery, started ok, then next day its dead ???

Sounds like it shorted out " internally "

However, I suggest you check the Main Fuse, and all other fuse's just to make sure nothing else shorted out, and is the cause of the battery failure.

Also, the Rectifier/Regulator Unit is conncted directly to Bat thru the 40Amp main fuse. I would put an Ohm meter to the + connection of Bat to ground to make sure there is not a dead short inside the Rectifier unit. Even if fuse is not blown.

Also, when you hook up the New Battery, Put DC Digital voltmeter to the Pos terminal and check to see that you are getting full charging voltage, of 14 V DC.

If charging voltage is LOW, I would suspect another problem that caused the battery to Drain down with the Key in the OFF position.

I had the same thing happen to my new '08. Turn on the key driving lights and every thing was bright. When I hit the starter it would click and go dead. Took the battery back to the dealer and it tested short. Put in the new battery they gave me and it started right up. I'll bet it is your battery. Good luck.

Got the Cycle-Tron 310 CCA AGM from Interstate today and I'm doing a 2 amp slow charge. I'll throw it in tomorrow and I should be good to go again.

FYI, Since working at auto dealers for so many years I knew batteries (usually) have a different warranty schedule than the rest of the vehicle. I called the local Yammi dealer and was told the original battery has the standard 6 month warranty.

The heavy equipment manufacturer we represent has a separate warranty for batteries as well, but the machine warranty will pay labor to change a bad battery even though the customer might have to pay for the battery. I wonder if Yamaha's is that way. If so just for grins, I think I'd have made them change it.

:big-grin-emoticon:

FYI, Since working at auto dealers for so many years I knew batteries (usually) have a different warranty schedule than the rest of the vehicle. I called the local Yammi dealer and was told the original battery has the standard 6 month warranty.

You are correct that most vehicles exclude the battery (and tires) from the normal warranty - but NOT on the Royal Star. You got a copy of that warranty when you bought the bike, or you can read it here: http://www.yocracing.com/warranty/Venture.pdf

Note in the Specific Exclusions: "2. Battery deterioration caused by improper maintenance and/or storage." Since the battery is specifically called out and ONLY excluded for that one thing, then the warranty MUST be honored for other failures.

Goose