IGNORED

Nat'l Park Pass - Decal Question

utadventure

We have had a Nat'l Park Pass over the years but have always been in a car together when visiting any of the parks. As we are each planning on riding our own bike to the Roundup in Cody this September, I wondered how it would work. I talked to the Park Service and they said that the pass would cover us both even though we are each on a separate bike and suggested that we also get decals for the bikes so that we have something on the bike showing we are in the park legally.

I've never been a fan of putting decals on my vehicles, so the question is......is there a safe way to display the decal on the bike without have to worry about it being stolen or being able to remove it once it expires?

I'd love to hear your ideas and innovative ways you've addressed this issue.

Dave

Usually it is a decal,or piece of paper that is just scotch taped on..I put them on my inside of windshield and no problems. Now some parks such as Big Bend Natl park just give a slipo of paper and tell you to put it in your billfold in case you are stopped and need to show it. Hope this helps. Tom

On vacation to Utah last year a friend and I bought the Nat. park pass. You get a "credit card" with both your names on it and it is good for 2 bikes with passengers. It was $80 and more than payed for itself just going through Zion. I recommend getting the pass it is a great deal. Rod

Hey Dave,

While working for Lockheed-Martin I was required to have a security sticker and parking permit. I purchased a rectangular chrome plate found at any Harley shop that is used to mount your state's safety inspection sticker on. The original idea was to mount the Inspection Sticker on the plate instead of on the front fork tube. The chrome plate can be mounted (bolted) in various places on your motorcycle, the stickers are stuck to the plate and then when they need to be removed, a little WD-40 or Goo Off and some elbow grease and you are ready for next year's stickers!

Hope this helps,

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
Spelling...What else!

I really like to idea of the inspection sticker plate.

Does anyone out there have one of the decals? Can you post a picture of it?

The park services says it can go on your mirror. I would rather not have something that would interfere with my vision (and my mirrors are bigger than Jan's).

Dave

They offer a free LIFETIME pass called an Access Pass to anybody with disiabliltys.

I have a 20% disiability from the Vetrans Adminstration, and got mine that way.

EVERYONE in the car or bike gets in free too.......

More info HERE. It is ran by the USGS but works in LOTS of places!!!!!

Guest Oldsalt

KiteSquid. what did you show them to verify the 20%? I too have 20% from the VA. Was your VA ID card sufficient?

Oldsalt

KiteSquid. what did you show them to verify the 20%? I too have 20% from the VA. Was your VA ID card sufficient?

Oldsalt

WHAT VA ID card? I've had a 40% VA disability for close to 30 years and they never gave me any card. I do get an annual letter from them verifying my disability percent for use with state/local taxes, and that is what I used to get my free lifetime park pass. The pass is just a plastic credit card with no real info on it - you are supposed to use it with a picture ID.

Goose

Years ago on my Yamaha XS650SE I made a small plate for my Air Force decal using sheet metal. It bolted to the axle clamp, bent 90 degrees and placed the decal in front of the fork leg. I actually had a security guy argue that it was not legal because it could be unbolted and removed. The discussion ended when I explained to his supervisor that the fork could be unbolted and removed . . .

Oldsalt

I brought my VA disability letter to an entrance to a National Park that issued them (I called ahead to verify as not all ranger stations issue passes) and that is all it took.

I showed up on my RSV with five of my fellow disabled Veterans and they got their passes too........

Years ago on my Yamaha XS650SE I made a small plate for my Air Force decal using sheet metal. It bolted to the axle clamp, bent 90 degrees and placed the decal in front of the fork leg. I actually had a security guy argue that it was not legal because it could be unbolted and removed. The discussion ended when I explained to his supervisor that the fork could be unbolted and removed . . .

Here in Virginia there is an annual safety inspection so most of the bike dealers sell stainless steel tags that you bolt onto your bike and put the decal on it.

I got a second one, for my base sticker..... the gate guards here see them this way all the time.

I bought a luggage tag from Wal Mart for a couple bucks that has the strap and the clear plastic window.I put the sticker inside and hang it from the handlebars.Easily removed and I just lay it on the dash in the truck when I drive it and it looks like it is on the windshield.Works great.

WHAT VA ID card? I've had a 40% VA disability for close to 30 years and they never gave me any card. I do get an annual letter from them verifying my disability percent for use with state/local taxes, and that is what I used to get my free lifetime park pass. The pass is just a plastic credit card with no real info on it - you are supposed to use it with a picture ID.

Goose

I got one in Big Bend. I'm an amputee. I didn't give them a letter or even show them my amputated foot. They said "here ya go" and gave me a lifetime pass.

No sticker though. I haven't been able to find out much so far about obtaining a sticker. Not sure I need one????

Ponch

Ponch-

You don't have to have a decal (sticker). If you're in your car, you simply put the entrance receipt on your windshield and any ranger in the park can see that you have legally entered the park - NO TICKET.

On your bike, you have the possibility of the receipt being stolen, so, they make a decal you can obtain for the same purpose - so a ranger in the park, won't issue a ticket for not having proof a valid entry.

You should be able to get a decal at any station you can purchase the pass at. You need your pass, ID and your registration. All three documents need to show your name.

When I spoke to the USGS yesterday they said it is a decal approx. 2 1/4" square and the lady suggested we put it on one of the mirrors. She also said that it would wash off in a rain storm. I think I'm going to attach it to a plate near the license plate. A ranger would have to go look at the plate to issue a ticket, so why not have it right there for him/her to see.

Dave

Guest Oldsalt

Goose

My old card was white with a big Purple V on it for "Service Connected". They replaced it last year with a new one that has my picture on the front (along with a bar code and the Flag) and the usual mag strip on the back. They ask for this every time I go in.

oldsalt :97:

My old card was white with a big Purple V on it for "Service Connected". They replaced it last year with a new one that has my picture on the front (along with a bar code and the Flag) and the usual mag strip on the back. They ask for this every time I go in.

oldsalt :97:

I have never been in for medical care from the VA since I got out back in the 80s, so I guess that is why I don't have one of the current ID cards. Just never trusted them. Guess I'll have to plan on going by the VA hospital in Dallas and get one. Thanx!

Goose

On the National Park Service web site the passes are good for any US or State parks that are run by the following: National Park Service, US Dept of Agriculture, Forest Services, Fish and Wildlife service, Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation. Regular price $80.00. Seniors $10.00. Permanent Disabilities Free. They have a map that you can click on state by state to show whats included and where they are located. Even good for senic highways that charge to drive on them. And you can get the passes on line also.

Click HERE to got to the National Park Service Pass information page.

I have the Access Pass due to my 20% Veterans Administration (VA) Disability. I don't have a VA ID card as I don't use their facilaties so I used my Disability letter to get my pass. I just had to sign a form for the Park Ranger and was issued the pass in just a few minutes.

Here is what it looks like:

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/templates/images/graphics/AccessFRT.jpg

I use it for free access to Skyline Drive whenever I go up there...