gibvel

Well, I just read that those stupid ethanol producers are petitioning the EPA to up the amount of ethanol at all pumps to 15%

So, what do you think? I know the 10% makes for crappy mileage but it seems to be "okay" for the system. Do you think any problems will arise with our bikes if they mandate 15% ethanol?

i think e85 it the biggest get rich quick scam ever thrown at the american people by the big investors, and the american people are going to take it where the sun don't shine if they pull it off, (ultra high fuel cost). we will still be dependent on other countries for the corn it takes to produce it. lets drill for our own oil. i don't know how they got the american auto manufacturers to go along with it. this is a small part of why they are close to going under. to much money for research and development to get cars to burn the crap. there's an old law of physics that says you can't get something for nothing. there just ain't no free lunches. :sign29::2133:

i think e85 it the biggest get rich quick scam ever thrown at the american people by the big investors, and the american people are going to take it where the sun don't shine if they pull it off, (ultra high fuel cost). we will still be dependent on other countries for the corn it takes to produce it. lets drill for our own oil. i don't know how they got the american auto manufacturers to go along with it. this is a small part of why they are close to going under. to much money for research and development to get cars to burn the crap. there's an old law of physics that says you can't get something for nothing. there just ain't no free lunches. :sign29::2133:

While I tend to agree, I just want to know if 15% ethanol is going to have a deleterious effect on the bikes/cars I have now.

While I tend to agree, I just want to know if 15% ethanol is going to have a deleterious effect on the bikes/cars I have now.

ethanol is highly corrosive much like water. the new cars designed for high alcohol content use more plastic to take the place of the aluminum. i would'nt use it if the vehical is not designed for it.

Hey Bill, How do you really feel? :rotf: I'm from corn farming family and I'm all for it,:cool10: though I do know there are differences in combustion and am concerned how it will effect existing vehicles.

More then a Gallon of Fuel, has to be burned, to produce 1 gallon of the Stuff !!!!

Then you have to burn more then 1 gallon of the stuff in your car, to equal a gallon of gas.

So pray tell me, how is this saveing the enviorenment ????

I guess, I am now supposed to believe that 2 And 2 Equals 3 -- ??????

Hey Bill, How do you really feel? :rotf: I'm from corn farming family and I'm all for it,:cool10: though I do know there are differences in combustion and am concerned how it will effect existing vehicles.
you won't be for it when you end up paying $4.00 a gallon and get alot less gas mileage. believe me it is a get rich quick scheme and big business will buy up all the farms and the farmers will get it where the sun don't shine also. they are just starting with 15% it will increase to 100% .your gas mileage will drop by a minimum of 33%. it cost alot more to produce than gasoline. what are we going to do with all that leftover mash. the process of making the ethanol will pollute. have you ever stood next to a race car at indy . the exaust fumes will burn your eyes and take your breath away. this is another scheme where greed is taking charge with no thought for the future outcome. the american people need to wake up. nuff said. this has been a thorn in my side from day one. hope this is considered more scientific than political. :2133:

Okay, didn't want this to get into a political debate or any kind of debate, really. Just wanted to know, if they succeed in this will this stuff hurt my 99 RSV and my 01 YZF600R? And where is the line where it will start eating/corroding stuff in the bikes?

In an effort to look at this question more on the technical side as opposed to the political side I believe that a few of our fellow brothers are already having problems with the E10 in regards to the needle valves in the carbs. Hear is a recent thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=32873

I think from a technical standpoint I may, in the future be offering a set of needle valves for our 1300 motors in delrin or some other "super Plastic" to combat the corrosion problem inherent to the E10/E15. If you don't think that aluminum and water don't mix, look at the bottom of your uncoated aluminum storm door after a few years!!! :confused24:

Just my thoughts,

Earl

Seems to vary by where you're at in the country...the guys back east say the Ethenol is tearing up their bikes and cars, but here in the upper midwest we're almost completely at minimum 10% Ethenol, and myself personally I've not had any problems with any of my bikes or cars. In fact, I ran E20 (20% Ethenol) exclusively in my last CTS with no problems at all and no difference in gas mileage over E10.

So like anything else, you're going to get a wide variation of opinions. IMO, E10 is okay, E20 might be a stretch for the bikes (however for out of town trips, I always fill the first tank with E20 from my local RENEW station and no problems).

If it means anything, Yamaha says OK up to 10%. Implication is that more than 10% may be an issue and I'll bet they'll use it to get out of fuel-related and engine-related warranty claims. I hope that those who are in the position to influence policies learn to do a little math and examine the REAL costs of high ethanol blends!!

Ross

Okay, didn't want this to get into a political debate or any kind of debate, really. Just wanted to know, if they succeed in this will this stuff hurt my 99 RSV and my 01 YZF600R? And where is the line where it will start eating/corroding stuff in the bikes?
i don't think you started a politcal issue at all. you asked an honest question. ethanol is one of aluminums worst enemies. i have built some hot two cycle engines when i was a teen, and ran ethanol and castor oil in them. a jelly would form in the carb if you let them sit for any length of time and the aluminum would pit bad. the new cars designed for e85 have new materials throughout the fuel system, to prevent corrosion. your bike does'nt. when they first started putting 10% in gas way back when, it was found that this was a safe limit. the only advantage to ethanol in the 10% range that i can see for the consumer, is it will help slow down the fuel burn rate and act as an anti knock additive to a certain degree. i would'nt put over 10% percent in anything i own. there comes a time when you have to investigate things on your own because folks are out there trying to steal every thing you own to fill their pockets. like i said if you know anything about physics there are no free lunches. if there was an answer to this alternate energy source the really brilliant minds would have figured it out. actually they have figured it out but it is way to expensive for the average person. bill :2133:

I've run the 10% in my truck, the electraglide FI when I had it, and the RSV. I don't notice any lower milage at all in the bikes.

I started purposely looking for E10 a couple years ago. I figured that was 10% less we needed from the foreigners, 10% to our farmers.

I see my RSV owners manual says the limit is 10% though.

I toured the ethanol plant just up the road a couple years ago. Most of the corn used is then resold as feed, called distillers grain, after they're done with it.

I've heard we have a glut of the ethanol now because we built plants to meet a 10% of fuel demand of a couple years ago, and people aren't buying as much fuel now a days.

Just my .02, Scooter Bob :Venture:

Here at the Lake of the Ozarks the local marine mechanics have been saying that people that stop on the way to the lake and fill up their boats to avoid the high prices on the lake have been having fuel system issues. It is related to the storage time and the alcohol absorbing water. It seems that somebody that didn't run their fuel out pretty regular will probably have more issues than somebody that rides regular.

Ok this gas has some bad properties if not used readily. Right now I say any cheap fuel left sitting for any extended amount of time becomes weak. Its all crap since it turned unleaded. Give me back Sunoco 260 anytime. Now that was pump gas.:thumbsup2::D