IGNORED

O.K. - more 1st gen. carb stuff

Guest ReinyRooster

Guest ReinyRooster

O.K., I've heard back from CarbKit Capital regarding the 1st gen. slider kits, here is their response:

"For stock at the moment we have:

20-6026 - Approx 18

20-6032 - Approx 30

It does not change the price. The best I can do is $60.00 each.

Please gather some figures and then get back to me so that I can see how many people would actually be purchasing for the price quoted."

So, we need to know if there are enough people looking for the slider kits to make it worth their while to give us this price. The 1983-1985 models require part # 20-6032, and the 1986-1993 models require part # 20-6026.

Please respond here and advise home many individual units ( one diaphragm with slider ) you would want for that price, and if so, which part # you need.

Guest Ken8143

OK - I will reveal my ignorance here. Just how important is it to replace the sliders when replacing the diaphragms?

Guest ReinyRooster

Wish I knew! I believe the theory is that it's easier to just replace the whole unit if you're there anyway, rather then monkeying around with the diaphragm......but don't quote me on that.

Since I started the thread about using the Ebay Carb. Diaphragms, I have fielded more than a few questions about the Merits of the replacement of the rubber diaphragm portion of the Diaphragm/Slider assembly versus replacing the entire Diaphragm/Slider assembly. I am by no means a Carburetor "Guru" but I would like to share what I have noticed after replacing ten or so sets of Diaphragm/Slider assemblies on four different types of motorcycles.

Of the ten sets I have replaced, there were two occasions where the entire Diaphragm/Slider assembly, on a single Carb. had to be replaced and in both cases, it was due to the fact that the outside diameter of the slider had been damaged by what looked to me to be something that had passed thru the Air Filter and lodged between the Slider and the Carb. Bore. In both cases, the foreign material that had lodged between the slider and the Carb. bore had put scratches in the outside diameter of the slider. The result was that even with a new Diaphragm rubber the slider would not "Float" properly inside the Carb. Body Bore, and allow that one Carb. to work properly. After having this happen twice, I started to examine the sliders very carefully, and if they were scored or scratched, I would order an entire Diaphragm/Slider assembly for that ONE Carb. ONLY. So out of the 40+ Carb. Diaphragms I have replaced to this point in time I actually only have replaced 3 entire assemblies. All ten bikes ran well after the Diaphragm replacement, weather it was just the Diaphragm rubber that was replaced or if it was a combination of Diaphragm rubbers and Diaphragm/Slider assemblies.

I think the bottom line here is cost, It's either $60.00 for all four Carbs. with the rubbers only or it's $450.00 with the stock Yamaha Diaphragm/Slider assemblies or $240.00 with the aftermarket Diaphragm/Slider assemblies.

As far as the extra time and skill involved with replacing just the Carb. Diaphragm rubbers, If you can get the side panels off your bike without breaking the pins off you will be able to replace the rubbers on the sliders in about ten minutes additional time. To me it took more time to remove the seat, False tank cover, and side panels than it did to remove the sliders and replace the Diaphragm rubbers.

I hope I have clarified this question a bit for you, and as always, It is YOUR BIKE and only YOU can decide what makes YOU feel "warm and fuzzy" about any repair you do to it.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth, on this subject.

Earl

P.S. Just in case you didn't catch this thread the first time:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32052

E.

$60 on the MKII slide and diaphragm is no great deal. If someone was to come into my shop off the street and want to buy one the price would be $58.63 (US).

The MKI slide is a good price. I'd normally sell them for $78.91.

Guest Ken8143

Thanks for the information. I always like to hear from people that know more than I do and that comes to about 98% of the population when it comes to things mechanical.