As my mirror on the right side fell of the bike in my hand today while I was trying to adjust it I figured what the hack I'll atempt to fix it instead of buying a new one.

Turned out pretty good. First I removed the glass from the black retainer buy using an exacto knife to remove the front edge as i found out the glass is not glued in. Second I removed the black retainer by taking out 3 small phillips screws. Third I drilled out the bracket still on the bike to let a 1/4 inch by 1 1'2 screw pass through. Then installed the base of the mirror with the 1/4 in screw using two 1/4 inch washer on the inside of mirror. Pic will show 6 but had to take back apart becouse the black retainer wouldn't go back in place with all 6 washers.Next was the black base screwed back in place followed by the glass. As I removed the retaining ring with the exacto knife I used 5 minute epoxy to hold the mirror in place. I'll post back tommorow as to how well this holds up as we have a ride planned for a couple of hours by the Petty Museum.

Hope this works as well as I think it will as it was easy enough for a non mechanic like me to do. Just take your time with the removal of the glass so as not to break it.

David

Hey David,

What a great write-up! I have always been somewhat of a good "Monkey" when it comes to repairing things,:doh: If I can see someone do the repair just one time, I am good to go! This is the next best thing, I will be able to save this thread, and refer back to it in the future when I have a similar problem and draw from your wisdom. Thanks for taking the time to share this information with us.:thumbsup2:

Earl

• 2 years later...

Turned out pretty good. First I removed the glass from the black retainer buy using an exacto knife to remove the front edge as i found out the glass is not glued in. Second I removed the black retainer by taking out 3 small phillips screws. Third I drilled out the bracket still on the bike to let a 1/4 inch by 1 1'2 screw pass through. Then installed the base of the mirror with the 1/4 in screw using two 1/4 inch washer on the inside of mirror. Pic will show 6 but had to take back apart becouse the black retainer wouldn't go back in place with all 6 washers.Next was the black base screwed back in place followed by the glass. As I removed the retaining ring with the exacto knife I used 5 minute epoxy to hold the mirror in place. I'll post back tommorow as to how well this holds up as we have a ride planned for a couple of hours by the Petty Museum.

I know this is an old thread but now that you have had it apart, do you think the black plastic retainer could have been heated to soften it enough to remove the glass that way?

When you said remove the front edge did you mean by paring it down level with the glass?

My mirror has a split in the top ball swivel part. If I can get it apart I'm hoping it may be able to be glued back together and re-assembled.