IGNORED

Needing an excellant tire

:bang head:I am at the point that i need a new rear tire. After 7000 miles my origial bridgestone is worn out. I need suggestions on a replacement for my 2008 rsv of something other than a bridgestone. I am hoping for something that will be a high mileage tire with good handling capabilites. Does anyone have some suggestions with approximate prices ?

The other OEM tire for the Venture is the Dunlop 404's. This is the tire that came on my 06 RSV. I replaced them at about 14,000 miles. I think the handling is great. Granted I do not have any comparative experience with other brands. I just know my bike handles very well on both wet and dry conditions. When I replaced them last fall I found the best price at the time was with Dennis Kirk catalog. :080402gudl_prv:

The Dunlop E-3, is my reccomendation. The caseing is 1/2 inch thick, plus the tread.

The D-404 has a caseing of 1/4 in. thickness, plus the Tread.

The E-3 was designed for the Heavy Wgt. Honda Gold Wings !!! keep that in mind.

Several folks here have reported over 20K with the Elite Series Dunlop tires. They are worth the extra money.

I will not buy another set of Dunlop 404's. The first set, I got maybe 7500 miles. The second and last set I got 5000 in 7 months and it (rear) is wore out. I just put a set of Michelin Commanders on and I am expecting great things. It was between those and the Venoms but I chose the Commanders.

I run the Dunlop Elite III's on front and rear. Bike handles well. I have a friend who got a little over 18K on a Harley with the E III's. I have just over 2K on mine and they still look well. As mentioned before, many people like the Avon's but I don't have any experience with them.

I will not buy another set of Dunlop 404's. The first set, I got maybe 7500 miles. The second and last set I got 5000 in 7 months and it (rear) is wore out. I just put a set of Michelin Commanders on and I am expecting great things. It was between those and the Venoms but I chose the Commanders.

I have been using Michelin tires for years so far so good with the Commanders. There quiet and do wet roads very well and this being my first set on the venutre I don't know how long they will last but I'm hoping to get 14,000. miles out of the rear tire.

Thank you very much for your time and suggestions. I thought that it would be pretty much between the dunlops and avons. The one thing that i knew is that it would not be another bridgestone on my bike. I don't know why yamaha would put such a sorry tire on such an excellent bike in the first place.

I have a 08 rsv and it has the dunlops on it, I have around 4500 miles in it and the only real bad thing I can say is they are growlers!! mine sound like my trk tires almost. The mech at the dealer did tell me that the bridgestones do not get very good milage for some reason and he recomends the dunlope E-3 or michelans and he sells alot of metzllers but from what I here they scare me. Good luck

Anyone have the thread link to the pics of the Metzelers? I have them on my bike. I don't know how many miles the previous owner got out of them, but I am at 4k trouble free miles. Though they are wearing flat in the back like a car tire. Thinking about E3's or Venom's to replace them this year.

I told the dealer about the chunks of Metzeler's being reported and I told them I would bring them pics. I am going to be there tomorrow.

Don't be so picky. Most of us just settle for anything that holds air. All joking aside, there is a tremendous amount of information on this site about tires, all you have to do is a simple search.

I personally have done a lot of tire testing on this bike; here is one thread. The topic may be about the choice of size for the front, but it also covers a bit on tires selection.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20815&highlight=tires

My personal choice at this time is the Avon Venom. I get about 15,000 from a rear, compared to 8,000 on that horrible stock Brickstone. I am interested in trying the Dunlop EIIIs - all reports I see on them compare quite favorably with the Avons. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

There are many tire threads running amok here on the boards.

My vote is for the Dunlop E3s. I got 13,500 out of my OE D404s and replced them with the E3s. I now have 7000 miles on my E3s and they still look new. They are great on wet roads and handle super on dry.

SWMoto Tire has a super price on them and you will have tires on your doorstep in 3 days or less.

Well, I'll put in my two cents worth here being as I just had to change out new 6 month old Dunlop 404 rear tire that only had 5000 miles on it. The original 404 rear did 12000 when I changed it so I went back with the same tire and only got less then half the mileage out of it. I hosted a CMA Jan. 1st ride and the person riding behind me commented that I was ready for a new tire and I almost fell over when I checked it out! The last thing I needed was to have to buy a new tire right after Christmas! My best friend Craig Long called me and said he had a brand new Continantal tire in his garauge that I could have because it was black wall and he runs white. So it cost me $30.00 to have it mounted and ballanced and then I found my rear brakes were almost in the metal more cost. I had a $25.. credit at the local Yamaha shop so brakes cost me $12.00. I have run metz 880s on a 1st get and they split, now Dunlop 404's did good and now bad. I ran Dunlop Elite III's but traded the bike off before they wore out. I did like the way it handled with the Elite III but also liked the 404's too until the mileage problem. Tires like many other things about the Venture are personal preferance, Avon and Elite III seem to be the stand out winners for service, handling, mileage.