IGNORED

LEDs and Strobe

CMIKE

FYI, great post CMIK, when your talking about flash rates, they only effect the turn signals. I'm not sure if that was in your post, if it was sorry for mentioning it again.

I also just bought and hooked up there Knight Riderz LED strip, and I have to say, it works great. Do you have pics of your bags with the non sequential LED strips used for the sides of your bags?

I would love to see how everything came out

Yep I thought I did mention it- "4 way flashers worked fine without the loads."

See my profile...the LEDs on the sides are under the trunk above the side of the bags...they are not Knight riders...they are dual density 6" bars from Custom Dynamics

"...photos "RSMV Modifications so far" LED's under the side of the travel trunk, saddle bags as well all the rest of the improvements I have added..." Let me know if you need more photos...I think I have more. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=276&pictureid=1934

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=276&pictureid=1927

CMIK;

What kind of lights are on the trunk lid? Doesn't look like the standard Yamaha light bar...but can't really tell!

LED on top of the trunk lid is the Yamaha wing/fin LED not too bright at all. But it looks good in a place that really needs something IMHO. Helps the lines of the bike. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=276&pictureid=1926

Edited by CMIKE

I have put 99,000 miles on my 83 in 13 years. For the last 12 years I have run plug-in strobes inside my headlight that bounces off the reflector. If you are standing in front of my bike, it looks like I am taking your picture. A few years later I put strobes in my tail light lense and in my trunk light bar activated by my brake light. A year or so ago I installed a small LED lightbar about four inches long under my trunk rack, also activated by my brakes. The strobes in my tail light lens no longer work and I did not fix them because about three years ago I got pulled over by a Tennessee State Trouper after he came up behind me while waiting for a red light. When we pulled out he blue lighted me. It was about 1:30 am on the way back from the Honda Hoot in Knoxville.

When he came up to the bike, the first thing he said was "Sir, I am not going to write you a ticket, but it against the law to have colored strobe lights on a vehicle and someone else may". We talked about it and I also showed him my headlight strobes. I also noted they had been operating for about ten years.

Since then, I did install the red LED "third" brake light and it does run back and forth when activated. The strobes in the trunk lightbar are white and the lenses are almost bleached clear. The thing that I have done is to run the strobes on a slow frequence so it is obvious they are not being used for emergency lights.

The headlight strobes are switched beside the radio and can be turned off if I want. The rear strobes and LEDs are hardwired.

I know that Tennessee is a lot different than a lot of other states. We do not have a private vehicle state inspection program and sometimes that is good and bad. I just renewed the tags for my El Camino today for $24 and for my bike for $17. We also do not have a state income tax program, but our sales tax is a little higher. I like the sales tax program better.

For those of you like me that run lights other than what is state approved, yes there is the posibility of a LEO taking issue, but I have found that most feel what you are doing is for safety and not just showing off, like the tuner guys putting rows of colored neon lights under their cars.

I personally am not a big fan of occilating head lights. I know they are very visable but I have concerns; Some people almost panic when they see a occilating headlight come up behind them. I would be afraid they may drop off the edge of the road and start a crash thinking they need to get out of the way. I am also concerned that younger drivers may think you have your signal light on. And, you can not run them at night and I run my strobes all the time.

RandyA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I saw one of those on a bike years ago. It was night time and on an Interstate. It definately catches ones attention. Recently I also added some Custom Dynamics lights. I thought very hard about the rear oscillating rear stop light LED. But I did not purchase it. I still may install one to a switch so I can use it when I feel the need to like sitting at a stop light or in other situations.

The one thing that I remember was that, not only did it catch my attention but it also raised the irritation level, for as the bike did pass most all the cars on the Interstate, the oscillating light, as the bike disappeared way off into the distance, was continually distracting my driving attention around me. The feelings that I experienced of irritation to the motorcycle rider surprised me. It is definately an attention grabber. It is just that, today road rage is occurring so much more often. I want to be seen but I do not want to irritate the cagers around me.

When I did see this light I was in my 27 years without a bike. Now that I'be been riding again for a year, your oscillating light is the first I've seen on a bike again and I'm leaning towards looking for a place to install it on my 89 VR only with a switch.

But then, just my luck, I'll probably get rear ended when the switch is off.

I have an oscallating headlamp on the bike also. White RSTD, white helmet, leather jacket and oscallating light. I call it the cop bike.

Believe it or not I have had people pull to the side of the road thinking the police were behind them.

:bobby:

• 1 month later...

hi mike thanks for your post. i've just read it and last weekend i installed a 4 led amber strobe light on the lower trunk door of my '99 rsv motor trike. i wired it to come on when i hit the brakes. i got the idea from seeing dump trucks that have amber strobes ( they are lite / strobeing all the time) mounted on the rear. i did not check the laws in texas but i figure if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

reguards

don c.

We all know what the laws are!

Were all big boys and girls. I'm with you CMIK...I dont need a mommy on here.

Not to add fuel to the fire...but there are a LOT of obscure laws in the books.

I (for one) did NOT know that it was illegal in Ohio.

In fact, I would like to ask the members here in Ontario if we are allowed strobes on our brake lights.

Maybe you don't need a mommy on here....:stickpoke:but some of us less informed foks appreciate the information others provide...even if its something we already know!

How many threads are there on your favourite oil????

I'm happy to be informed that they are illegal in Ohio.

Now I know to be careful when I activate them.

As far as the modulating headlight, if someone is courteous enough to pull over and get out of my way, bless them !!

:rotfl:

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Now you've gone and done it. I have been watching school buses for several years with those white strobes on top and thinking I wanted to put one beneath my tourpak and the trunk on my trike. The school buses run them day and night. The few times I run at night anymore the fear of night drivers scare me. I guess I'm getting old and really do want to get older.

Not on my motorcycle, but I have had a white diffused strobe on the tail of my bicycle and used it since the early 80s. Radio shack sold it as a portable emergency rescue beacon back then. I gutted it and mounted it in a box.

At least in Indiana and Illinois never had an issue with passing Leo's. It's intensity is no where near those strokes on top of bus but it does get late night drivers Attentions.

I would rather have to explain myself to a judge on this issue than my family deal with an undertaker as well.

Bob

Marshall, il