IGNORED

modular/flip-up helmets

bj66

Even though I wear glasses, I still like a full face. I just have to take them off to put on or remove my helmet. The wife and I both wear an Arai, and while not cheap, they are very comfortable. Helmets don't get any safer than a full face.

I agree 100%, but my glasses frames are so thin that I cant hardly get them past my cheekpads. I cant wear contacts either. Thought that a modular might be my solution

I also wear Glasses and nothing else than Full Face. Well, except of my Schuberth C2 Helmet which i wear when running Errands all over the Town only. Those Open/half/modular/whatever are just too loud for me.

I got my Optician to change the Arms from standard to straight Arms. Takes some Time so get yourslef adjusted to but since then, I'm fine.

I dont wear a modular but I wear the full face HJC FS 10 with the interior flip down sun visor. I love the fact I dont have to pack extra sunglasses and the visor comes down even with my glasses on with lots of room. It does seem to do a great job of not fogging with the venting setup.

Here is a review http://blog.danzbb.com/?p=341

Brian

I wear glasses, and sport a Shoei Multitech flip helmet (if it's wet or cold).

But, I found out right away that I still have to remove my glasses to put on it (or off). But, you can flip it up/down with out taking them off. Same for other flips.

But,,, only my half helmet allows me to leave my glasses on my face to put on or off.

Mike G in SC :cool17:

I wear glasses and wear the Fulmer modular. You can't buy Fulmer's online so you'll have to find a dealer near you, which their website can help out with. I paid $150 for mine. After going down last week and the helmet and my shoulder being the first to hit the pavement, I can say that I swear by that helmet and will by a new one once the bike is back together. Very comfy, safe and lots of padding. Great for the speakers for your helmet if you use them.

Wife and I both wear HJC CL-MAX modulars. they are actually available cheap, MSRP is $289.00 but we got them Holland Michigan for $169.00 each. They are comfortable, fit very well, and I watched a demo of them at a bike rally as to the strength. They can take qite a beating and not open up or seperate.

I tried a set of really high priced Modulars that cost well over $500.00 each and they did not feel any better than the HJC's but I did like the fighter pilot flip down internal visor.

No matter what you get, do the pull off test.

here is a comparison test of modular helmets http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/flip_face_helmet_comparison/index.html

personally the flip up that appears to be the best built to me is the French Roof Boxer

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/roof-boxer-v/ but because it is not DOT or Snell approved it is technically not legal in the US

I used to wear a full-face, but after going to the Nolan modular helmets, I won't wear anything else. The N102 and N103 have the option to mount a headset in them without modification (and J&M makes a headset just for these that is better and cheaper than Nolan's headset).

I currently wear the N102. The N103 is a newer version that moves the extra dark visor inside instead of outside the main visor. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

here is a comparison test of modular helmets http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/flip_face_helmet_comparison/index.html

personally the flip up that appears to be the best built to me is the French Roof Boxer

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/roof-boxer-v/ but because it is not DOT or Snell approved it is technically not legal in the US

Shark makes one called the Absolute Evoline that is similiar to the Boxer and it is DOT approved for 2009.

Last year I purchased an HJC SY-Max II at the Americade in Lake George, NY.

This is a very comfortable modular helmet in the cold or in the heat. I also wear glasses with thin bows and this helmet work very well. I do not have to take the glasses off when putting on or taking the helmet off. I have also installed a headset for my RSV's sound/CB system and absolutely love this helmet.

I recommend going to a dealer/show to try one on before buying one on-line. You my save a little on-line at first, but if it does not fit right, you'll spend more money/time shipping it back then you saved.

I also had the HJC Symax II on when I laid my bike down - saved my bacon (or should I say head). Great helmet! In fact I am going to get another one soon.

Shep

Last year I purchased an HJC SY-Max II at the Americade in Lake George, NY.

This is a very comfortable modular helmet in the cold or in the heat. I also wear glasses with thin bows and this helmet work very well. I do not have to take the glasses off when putting on or taking the helmet off. I have also installed a headset for my RSV's sound/CB system and absolutely love this helmet.

I recommend going to a dealer/show to try one on before buying one on-line. You my save a little on-line at first, but if it does not fit right, you'll spend more money/time shipping it back then you saved.

here is a comparison test of modular helmets www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/flip_face_helmet_comparison/index.html

www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/roof-boxer-v/ but because it is not DOT or Snell approved it is technically not legal in the US

That French Roof Boxer looks like it would come in handy if you were a Star Wars Groupie or something...

My wife and I wear modular helmets in the winter. I don't know the brand name that we have but I bought it from www.jafrum.com for about $75.00 each. You can also wear glasses with our helmet. I installed a J & M headset in them and it wasn't very hard to do. Although I ordered mine online, I would suggest going somewhere you could try one on exactly like what you want. I have a hard time finding a helmet that fits well and mine seems to be a little tight on my face but my wifes fits her fine. When I am around a store that sells modular helmets, I always try them on and I haven't found one that fits any better so I think it is just me.

Edited by raceman62race

I wear a SyMaxII as well. VERY neat helmet, good fit, and it's quieter than my last flip face. I like not having to worry if I'm going to warp the earpieces on my glasses pulling them off and back on again. In hot weather, I put the face shield up and the eye shield down. I bought mine at New Enough where they go for around $206.

I recently got an email from NE that anounced the arrival of the HJC ISMax. A less expensive version of the SyMaxII, this one is going for just over $150. I'm thinking about getting one as a back up and spare.