IGNORED

Need tach recommendations.

chollahan

I've used the Drag Specialties tach for about the last year or so. It has been reliable for me, and I think I spent about $80.00 on it locally. There are nicer ones with billet enclosures that mount on the clutch or brake reservoir, (Barons I think) but they are much more money. I went with this cheaper one and was not disappointed. I've attached a picture, but it is a little fuzzy due to my dirty phone camera lens.

Here are a couple of pix. I switched to the black one to better match the other gauges I added. This is the smallest tach I could find, and the only one I know that is small enough to mount under the dash like this.:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

The black tach is part no: 7805-6948, 1-7/8" Mini tach, purchased from www.Competitionmotorcycle.com. It comes in a nice chrome case with mounting bracket. The only additional thing you need to mount it is any type of 1" handlebar clamp. I used a $7 chrome clamp from JCW.

I've got a 1 7/8" Drag Specilities tach mounted in a Arlen Ness bullet cup and attached with a Kurykyn "P" clamp.

Check with DenDen as he has two tachs he told me he was going to sell. One came off his wrecked 01 (resvoir mounted Barons ) and the other from a bike he just bought to replace it. That one is a Drag Specilites, but don't know the size of it. It's mounted on the tank/ignition switch cover.

Larry

Here are a couple of pix. I switched to the black one to better match the other gauges I added. This is the smallest tach I could find, and the only one I know that is small enough to mount under the dash like this.:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

The black tach is part no: 7805-6948, 1-7/8" Mini tach, purchased from Competitionmotorcycles.com. It comes in a nice chrome case with mounting bracket. The only additional thing you need to mount it is any type of 1" handlebar clamp. I used a $7 chrome clamp from JCW.

I like your setup. Very nicely placed and easy to see gauges. So, what is the HI/LO switch? And where did you get the triple digital gauge setup?

I like your setup. Very nicely placed and easy to see gauges. So, what is the HI/LO switch? And where did you get the triple digital gauge setup?

The 3 gauge digital gauge is the Show Chrome Digital 5 function voltmeter:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=173&manufacturer_ID=66&product_ID=7475&model_ID=0

I, too, like your setup Goose!

Lots of places sell the ShowChrome 5-function volt meter, but the best price I have found is at California Sport Touring. The Hi/Lo switch is for the wrap-around grip heaters I made.

Goose

Lots of places sell the ShowChrome 5-function volt meter, but the best price I have found is at California Sport Touring. The Hi/Lo switch is for the wrap-around grip heaters I made.

Goose

I had ordered the same volt meter but when I got it I didn't think it would be waterproof so I returned it. Have you had any problems with water getting in? How did you mount it to the bar?

I had ordered the same volt meter but when I got it I didn't think it would be waterproof so I returned it. Have you had any problems with water getting in? How did you mount it to the bar?

It is mounted with Velcro, and it is definitely NOT waterproof. However, water does not seem to have any long-term effects on it. In the past several years, it has been completely flooded at least 6 times, including a couple from my hose while washing it. When it fills up (you can actually see the water across the face), it goes haywire, but straightens right out within a day. It does not seem sensitive at all to light or moderate wetting. The only reason it has been wet that many times is that I ride every day all year, no matter what the conditions.

For the most part the mounting location is quite protected, and the only real problem is if the bike is parked so that a hard storm blows in from the rear of the bike. I have taken to quickly pulling it off the Velcro and putting it in a plastic bag when washing the bike - only takes a couple of seconds and the hose problem is completely solved.

Goose

BTW - it dries quickly, and even after repeated floodings, there is no indication of any kind that it was ever wet.

• 5 years later...

Goose

The black tach is part no: 7805-6948, 1-7/8" Mini tach, purchased from www.Competitionmotorcycle.com. It comes in a nice chrome case with mounting bracket. The only additional thing you need to mount it is any type of 1" handlebar clamp. I used a $7 chrome clamp from JCW.

I'm adding the Drag mini tach & see that you used a clamp from JCW. Is this the one you used?

I really, really hope he found one by now. That thread was from 2007.

:smile5: :sign07:

OK smarteepants, I mean Snaggletooth. The clamp that came with the DS mini tach won't fit where Goose put his. I like that his looks directly at you. I'd have to put it near the brake fluid reservoir near the bend in the bars, so, it would be slightly angled. I can live with that, but, would prefer it straight. Also, I'm thinking the wires will have to be extended to reach their destinations. What more can you tell me? (Yes, I know this is an old thread, but, rather than start a new one on a common topic, I revived this one.)

I just got my tach yesterday, so I have not installed it yet.

Here is what I bought for a tach and mount.

Tach.

http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/245/

Mount.

http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/248/index.html

It will look like this.

http://www.baronscustom.com/images/products/20070410185559.jpg

Edited by brd7666

The 3 gauge digital gauge is the Show Chrome Digital 5 function voltmeter:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=173&manufacturer_ID=66&product_ID=7475&model_ID=0

I, too, like your setup Goose!

I bought one of these too, but I have not installed it yet either. Just got it.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_7475_300.jpg