IGNORED

86'VR Starter Solenoid?!?!

On the 86'VR it appears that the starter solenoid has gone "belly up" on me. If I take a screw driver and jump across the two terminals on the solenoid the bike will start, Does anyone have one laying around for a 86 to 93 VR. Also, where in the heck does that small wire go to from the solenoid?!?!:confused24: It just seems to disappear into the bowells of the frame. I would be grateful for any help I could get on this issue, As you all know, I can turn a wrench pretty good but Electric matters are Greek to me!:think:

Thanks Folks,

Earl

Been into a lot of solenoids over the years. Few bikes, most bigger stuff. All the solenoid is an electromagnetic heavy duty contactor. That small wire should have current when you press 'Start'. That energizes the magnet pulling the contacts together. Same thing as a screwdriver across the big lugs. I have had success taking them apart and cleaning (filing) contacts. BE CAREFUL as the wire inside is TINY. If you can't find the replacement, and there's room, just get an old Ford solenoid at local parts store. About $15. 2 big post and one small. Last one I priced new was for Goldwing and it was $85. About an hour tinkering saved $. Look at it this way, it's already bad so you can't hurt it any more by trying to fix it. Good luck

Earl,

When you get your solenoid fixed and still doesn't turn over when you hit the start button, could be the problem. On my VtX 1800 I had the same problem, except that I was not near home. Used a quarter to jump across the 2 studs sticking out of the solenoid with the key on and it started. Turned out that the button was the problem. Puled it apart and cleaned the contacts and soldered a little on the nubs and filed it down so as not to bind in the switch, added some electric greese, it cured the problem. Did the same on the brake switch for the 89 VR. and then replaced the spring. Hope this helps a little.

Bill

On the 86'VR it appears that the starter solenoid has gone "belly up" on me. If I take a screw driver and jump across the two terminals on the solenoid the bike will start, Does anyone have one laying around for a 86 to 93 VR. Also, where in the heck does that small wire go to from the solenoid?!?!:confused24: It just seems to disappear into the bowells of the frame. I would be grateful for any help I could get on this issue, As you all know, I can turn a wrench pretty good but Electric matters are Greek to me!:think:

Thanks Folks,

Earl

Goes to the Start/CutOff Relay, makes contact, then L/W ( Blue/White ) wire goes to the Start switch button, and gets a ground when push button.

Dissconnt pull apart connector close to Solinoid, Use ohm meter, Check for a ground on the wire, when you push Start button. In neutral, clutch in, stand up.

Check the side stand switch, might not be closeing.

Edited by GeorgeS