IGNORED

3rd set cheap mods, fixes, maintenance

5bikes

So far I've made 125 of these...

1st Generation mostly, but some apply to all models:

Replace bolts on muffler clamps & use anti-seize compound before they freeze up

Do the starter internal ground, another post. May not need heavier battery cables.

Add a ground wire directly from the starter to the negative battery terminal or main ground wire

Add gauges if unsure of reliability, most on Ebay are

Oil pressure, oil temp, Amp meter, indicator LED lights to remind if accessories are on/off

An external oil plug is on the engine right side with large socket allen screw/plug between water pump and clutch covers down low center engine.

Shorten the throw on clutch lever by making a shorter push rod

Shorten the brake lever throw by removing the return spring (remove 10mm bolt to see)

Clean battery and grounds regularly

Super glue any plastic cracks, also stops further cracking.

Do not over tighten any screws on plastic

Install foot guards for rain & cold air (MK1's)

Always put bolts/screws back in with grease/oil on threads to prevent corrusion

Put a guard around the mirrors in case you drop the bike

Replace any frequently removed nut/bolts/screws with all the same kind to reduce tools and time servicing.

Use a socket screwdriver rather than a wrench/rachet, it is faster & you don't over tighten.

Put a mud guard around the rectifier/regulator, but leave it open to air

Eliminate both/either fairing pockets (Std models) this adds 50% more room. Use insulation to fill in holes.

Rubber around mirrors to protect them

Make sure the air filter is tight (not rattling) in housing

The weather stripping on the bottom goes bad with age

Further explanations are available via PM's. Happy fixes!!!

Gauges, the one above the speedo is the thermometer, left handlebar is the altimeter, around the gauges are the Oil Temp, Vac., Amp meter, and oil pressure. The Oil is tapped off the plug on the right side of the engine between the water pump and clutch covers down low. Large allen socket.

Edited by 5bikes
Clarification

Altimeter. This is West Texas! We have several mountain chains within 150 miles, some in southern New Mexico. (long days ride). Can ride to one at 12k ft. Several passes over 6k ft. We are at 3850 ft in town. This is the reason we are not 120's all summer like PHX.

Mounting gauges. Oil Pressure 1/4" refrigerated copper line holds it in place. The Amp meter and oil temp I used the fairing screws on top by the mirrors/windshield. The Vac gauge is mounted off the oil temp. Altimeter uses velcro so I can service the clutch reservoir. The temp gauge uses velcro, but reads way too high if in the sun. (300 days a year here, bragging again)

I do try "not" to add any heavy accessories. These things are too heavy already. Most are hidden mods so pics do not help. This is the easiest bike I ever had to make changes.