IGNORED

Anybody use the iPhone?

SaltyDawg

Seriously considering getting an iPhone for Krome Rose and myself. I have been researching them along with the LG Vu, LG Shine, and LG Insite. Apple has so many more applications for the iPhone and the LG's run on a Windows platform. From the reviews I have read on LG's they don't seem very reliable.

Are the iPhones a good reliable piece of equipment? Are they easy to use, or is there a steep learning curve?

Another question I have is about the iPhone Maps program. Does that come standard on the iPhone and does it cost extra over the required data package?

Thanks in advance.

two of the guys i work with have just gotton the iphone and they love them i have played with them a few times and there cool i guess the biggest factor would be will you use all the cool tools it has to offer. I have a LG with the touch screen and i dont have any problems with it had it about 6months now. i like the built in navigator it has got rid of my tom tom (no updates) the iphone is cool though it has some featuers i like but i do know we printed out the owners manual for it and it was like 87 pages.. hope this was a little help. Ron

I've had an iPhone since the day they came out. It was very easy to use for me. They do not come with an instruction manual, though you can buy one at books-a-million or any other book store cheap. I've never had a problem with my iPhone, neither have any of the other friends I have that have them. I have the 1st Gen 8 Gig phone. I didn't upgrade to the 3G because there really wasn't any difference in the phones other than the 3G data network, I don't get 3G where I live so it wouldn't have benifited me anyway.

As far as the Maps feature goes. It comes on the phone. At first it was pretty plain but has gotten better in the last year due to upgrades. You will have to upgrade to one of the designated iPhone plans when you activate it and all of them should have unlimited data on them so you want get charged extra for the large amount of data you will be using. My bill actually went from 80 dollars a month to 69 dollars a month when i swapped plans.

Just make sure you have iTunes on your computer so you can sync up and get the newest software updates for the phone. I do it at least once a month.

If you have any other ?'s feel free to ask.

Best phone I've ever had.

Thanks for your quick replies. It's better to get information from the folks here than trust everything you read. Some people have agendas and might not post truthful answers in some of the reviews. That's what is refreshing about this site, people are honest and forthright.

As far as using the applications, well I asked Krome Rose that very thing, she is very excited about the iPhone and all that it offers and that really surprises me since for the longest time she has been a technophobe. Since I got her interested in this site she has really come a long way with understanding these toys we call computers. Me on the other hand, well lets just say I'm a gadget guy. I love stuff like this and will no doubt put the iPhone through it's paces if that's the way we go.

I had Krome Rose watch the Apple Propaganda Video on the iPhone and when that guy said the words "Purchase online" her eyes lit up and she said to me "I can buy things with this?" I quickly told her "NO".:missingtooth: Ooopss!! Nothing like closing the barn door after the horse already got out.

I'm glad you mentioned not being in a 3G area because I need to check and see if we are. I'm pretty sure we are since the Marine Corps has pretty much issued everyone above E5 a Blackberry. Wish I had early warning of that purchase, I would have bought stock. LOL

Thanks again for the quick replies and I'm sure I will have more questions.

I've had a 3G Iphone since September and I've been very pleased with it. I agree with everything Mashley said. It's very easy to use, just different. It takes cell phones to a new level. The directory/address book is great. It is simple to scroll through contacts in a flash and it has a favorites tab. You can call or email a contact at the touch of a finger. The base map is basically google maps and you can get will create a route for you.

The basic applications are all useful. Weather, Stocks, Notepad, Email, Web browser, Maps, Youtube, etc. You don't use a stylus with the touchpad, just your finger. I've added a few applications out of the thousands that are available. Most that I've added were free and I paid a whopping $0.99 for a couple. I have a phone directory that is similar to switchboard.com, a motorcycle video game, Shazam (identifies music and artist), a level, a few solitaire games, a TV guide, a theater guide that will show you trailers and times for theaters near you location. If you can imagine it there is probably an application for it.

When I first started using it I was very slow typing emails. I would hit the wrong key and then have to back up. After a while I learned that for most miss hits I could just continue and the phone would correct the word on the fly. My speed really improved then.

The edge network is painfully slow for me. I am in a 3G area. If you are near an open WiFi network the phone will attempt to connect to it so it is possible to have high speed access within the edge network.

I find it entertaining while I am waiting in the car while my wife is shopping in Walmart. I can surf the net, take care of emails, play games, watch podcasts or youtube. The application I use the least is the Ipod music. It works fine I just have other sources for music (XM and Zumo MP3s).

I work with 2 guys that have Iphones and they also have work assigned Blackberrys. Both have said the Iphone user interface is much better and easier to use. I kept my same phone plan and added the $30 data package.

My only complaint is that I don't seem to get as strong of a cell signal in rural areas as my wife's Motorola RAZR. I may only get 2 signal bars and she gets 5. However, 2 bars still seems to be enough.

It's much more than a phone or PDA and I would hate to be without it.

DT

I had an IPhone for 3 days and exchanged it for a Blackberry - for one reason only. You cannot voice dial with the IPhone. There are a couple of purchase-able applications that will allow voice dialing, but not over the bluetooth.

Why does that matter (to me)? This lack of feature prevents being able to make phone calls while riding on the Venture!!! The Blackberry (just like my Motorola Razor) syncs right up with the Zumo, and with the addition of the Buddy Rich cord, puts the control of the phone in my helmet - voice activated. It also allows me to voice dial on my truck setup.

Other than that, it seemed like a cool phone. The Blackberry has been flawless - just less sexy.

RR

I have an LG and it works fine for calls. :) I don't use it for Internet as I have my laptop with me most of the time. I may have considered an IPhone if they weren't exclusive with AT&T. I use Verizon and it gives me the best coverage in the areas that I travel. My company would love for me to switch because our corporate plan is with AT&T but I tried it 6 years ago when I started with this company and couldn't even get a consistent signal at my house. They sent me another one to try in December and though it works a bit better, still very weak and drops calls. I'll stick with Verizon.

I Have I-Phone for over a year now, and works great. I Have 1st Gen,with EDGE Net. but doesent bother me at all. In most urban areas WiFi is everywhere, so i can drive close to coffee shop and have even faster wifi. Apps are great too, and Jeff yes I-Phone have dial over voice, but as separate App. Every single Phone Co trying to copy i-phone, But i-phone is still way ahead of competition.

Five Stars for I-Phone

I have an LG and it works fine for calls. :) I don't use it for Internet as I have my laptop with me most of the time. I may have considered an IPhone if they weren't exclusive with AT&T. I use Verizon and it gives me the best coverage in the areas that I travel. My company would love for me to switch because our corporate plan is with AT&T but I tried it 6 years ago when I started with this company and couldn't even get a consistent signal at my house. They sent me another one to try in December and though it works a bit better, still very weak and drops calls. I'll stick with Verizon.

You may want to check the coverage again. Since ATT and Cinglur merged their coverage is much broader. I have yet to go somewhere I don't get a signal since the merge. Just a thought. I had a friend who had the same problem and right after they merged he was able to get 5 bars at his house.

I had an IPhone for 3 days and exchanged it for a Blackberry - for one reason only. You cannot voice dial with the IPhone. There are a couple of purchase-able applications that will allow voice dialing, but not over the bluetooth.

Why does that matter (to me)? This lack of feature prevents being able to make phone calls while riding on the Venture!!! The Blackberry (just like my Motorola Razor) syncs right up with the Zumo, and with the addition of the Buddy Rich cord, puts the control of the phone in my helmet - voice activated. It also allows me to voice dial on my truck setup.

Other than that, it seemed like a cool phone. The Blackberry has been flawless - just less sexy.

RR

Yeah I have heard that Blackberry is a good phone but to me the keyboard is way too small.

You may want to check the coverage again. Since ATT and Cinglur merged their coverage is much broader. I have yet to go somewhere I don't get a signal since the merge. Just a thought. I had a friend who had the same problem and right after they merged he was able to get 5 bars at his house.

It was only about 6 weeks ago that I tried it again. No better here.

I kept my same phone plan and added the $30 data package.

It's much more than a phone or PDA and I would hate to be without it.

DT

Does the $30.00 data package cover everything? Unlimited texting/internet? I'm not big on text messaging, but sometimes it comes in handy.

Yeah I have heard it's basically a hand held PC that happens to have a phone. LOL

Does the $30.00 data package cover everything? Unlimited texting/internet? I'm not big on text messaging, but sometimes it comes in handy.

Yeah I have heard it's basically a hand held PC that happens to have a phone. LOL

Thats what I pay on top of the phone bill, and thats 30 a phone

Thats what I pay on top of the phone bill, and thats 30 a phone

I understand that it is on top of the phone bill. It's the data plan, but do you have to pay more for texting? I also understand it's for each phone. It would be nice if they had a family data plan.

The $30 is for data only. They offer text plans in addition but I rarely text.

This post was made from my iPhone.

DT

I pay an extra $5 per month for texting. I think that gives me a 200-message-per-month limit, if I remember correctly. That's plenty for me. Remember that you have eMail as well as voice phone and text messaging, so there is not much need for texting, but some. Now if you're like many teenagers and 20-somethings then texting is what you do instead of talking to the person who is right in front of you!

The iPhone is great (I have a 3G version, since August), but beware of the few surprising things that it does NOT do: 1) No voice dialing 2) No MMS (i.e. no ability to send pictures from our iPhone to another cell phone, and no convenient to receive pictures from another cell phone ).

About voice dialing -- I don't miss it. I have a Zumo 550 on my RSV with the BuddyRich cable, so I can answer calls easily. By using the phone book on the Zumo, I can place calls with a gloved hand while stopped, or hit the 'Call Home' button even while riding. I don't place many calls while riding -- just answer incoming calls -- so I'm satisfied.

About picture messaging, again remember that you can easily e-Mail pictures from the iPhone, you just can't send them to a phone number nor receive them directly from another cell phone. I don't know why Apple left this obvious and common feature off, but they did.

Battery life is not great compared to a plain cell phone, but I don't know how it compares to a Blackberry.

I must be getting old or something. I've been in the technology field since 1987 professionally and frankly, when I leave my job I don't even want to see anything that even resembles a computer. A cell phone that does a good job at making phone calls, is easy to read, and has an easy to use keypad is all I want. All that other stuff is nothing but unnecessary clutter IMHO (for me). To each his own tho and I have looked at the iPhone and yes, they sure have a lot of gadgets and gizmo's and I had no problem figguring out how it works right from the get-go but those things are for not for me...and I sure don't need an additional monthly expense for yet another "toy".

I guess I just don't see a "real world" use for it other than using it as a phone.

I pay an extra $5 per month for texting. I think that gives me a 200-message-per-month limit, if I remember correctly. That's plenty for me. Remember that you have eMail as well as voice phone and text messaging, so there is not much need for texting, but some. Now if you're like many teenagers and 20-somethings then texting is what you do instead of talking to the person who is right in front of you!

Thanks that's the info I needed. I don't text a lot, in fact I hate it. Email is fine. Speaking of email I read that it does pop email and I am on road runner. I have run into situations where I tried to set pop email up on networks other than a RR network and it wouldn't allow me to do it even though it had internet access. More than likely it was a firewall issue. I'm really hoping I can get my pop accounts over the iPhone.

The iPhone is great (I have a 3G version, since August), but beware of the few surprising things that it does NOT do: 1) No voice dialing 2) No MMS (i.e. no ability to send pictures from our iPhone to another cell phone, and no convenient to receive pictures from another cell phone ).

I don't do voice dialing too often and when I do it was on the bike only to check whether my mic was working. I could care less about sending pics, it's never been my thing. :smile5:

Battery life is not great compared to a plain cell phone, but I don't know how it compares to a Blackberry.

I have heard that about them. I was also told that if you were not using the 3G part of it you could turn it off and conserve the battery. Not sure how you would go about doing that though.

Thanks for the info.

Turning off 3G is easy - just a setting in the iPhone's preferences. I keep mine off because I'm in a rural area (no 3G available) and my house and work both have WiFi.

-- This message posted from my iPhone!

Cool. Does it use WEP at home or do you need to go unsecure?

Edited by SaltyDawg

I must be getting old or something. I've been in the technology field since 1987 professionally and frankly, when I leave my job I don't even want to see anything that even resembles a computer. A cell phone that does a good job at making phone calls, is easy to read, and has an easy to use keypad is all I want. All that other stuff is nothing but unnecessary clutter IMHO (for me). To each his own tho and I have looked at the iPhone and yes, they sure have a lot of gadgets and gizmo's and I had no problem figguring out how it works right from the get-go but those things are for not for me...and I sure don't need an additional monthly expense for yet another "toy".

I guess I just don't see a "real world" use for it other than using it as a phone.

Well I put around 25,000 miles a year on my scoot and I have been through some real frog stranglers, so I figure it is worth the money just to be able to get up-to-date radar images. The rest is a bonus. I get weather on my GXM-30 but it only shows temps and forecasts. I have been as some meet and eats where members bring out their phones and pull up the weather radar and at one meet we were able to see the snow line as it was moving towards us. That allowed others to amend their route home. To me that is a safety item that is worth the extra money.

I may not be able to stay in front of technology, but I sure can run beside her.:missingtooth:

Well I put around 25,000 miles a year on my scoot and I have been through some real frog stranglers, so I figure it is worth the money just to be able to get up-to-date radar images. The rest is a bonus. I get weather on my GXM-30 but it only shows temps and forecasts. I have been as some meet and eats where members bring out their phones and pull up the weather radar and at one meet we were able to see the snow line as it was moving towards us. That allowed others to amend their route home. To me that is a safety item that is worth the extra money.

I may not be able to stay in front of technology, but I sure can run beside her.:missingtooth:

Wish I could afford that luxury ... then I might see the "real world" need. In all the years I've been riding, I have never put more than about 10-15 thousand miles on in any one year. Not once have I ever even thought about "what the upcoming weather is going to be ...and wished I had some gadget that could tell me" .... When I head out for a trip, I take what comes. The worst I've encountered is hail and temps as low as 5 celcius with rain ... I could see the hail storm coming so ducked into shelter till it passed... the low temps/rain ... stop and warm up...then off we go.

As for maps and such, I rarely go into areas where I find it difficult to figgure out my route...stop at a gas station ahead of time and ask directions if need be. I've been to most major centers in Canada and a few in the USA ... San Francisco, Houston, Chicago to name a few of the larger ones... yep, a GPS would have been nice in those 3 places but not necessary. The use of the product doesn't justify the cost for me.

Having said all that, if my retirement plans work out, 25,000 miles a year will be "normal" and I'll probably be wanting a few luxuries such as iPhone & GPS ... or whatever the technology is at that time (coz in 3-5 yrs from now it will be entirely different LOL)

As I said tho... to each their own and I'm certainly not knocking anyone's choices.