IGNORED

Low Fuel - trip meter

SilvrT

Another post jogged my memory to ask about this. I notice on my '06 that when the low fuel indicator comes on, the mileage indicator changes to the trip meter. Is this normal? Can it be stopped? Does anyone else have this happen and do you find it a good thing?

Yes, it's normal. Actually, it starts counting up, so you know how far you've gone since hitting reserve. After you fill up, after about 5 miles it goes back to your previous setting: clock, odometer, trip distance.

cool!

clock??? hmmmm I haven't noticed that yet... guess I better read the owners manual LOL

cool!

clock??? hmmmm I haven't noticed that yet... guess I better read the owners manual LOL

Hey Rick, I just found out about the clock function a week or so ago, its amazing what you can find when you read the manual. :8:

Ian

What would be interesting to know is how far you can go after the reserve light comes on.

Low Fuel light comes on: Cruise 15-23 miles before bike begins to sputter.

Shift to Reserve: Cruise another 38 miles before bike really runs out of gas.

That is what I have found and verified on my Venture.....3 times.

Your mileage may vary....

Got 60 miles on my low fuel light once for 208 total on the tank. Wife and I were running "a little" fast across the desert and it came on at 148 instead of the usual 175. Throttled back to 65 and got the 60 miles. You can bet that the 1st gas station I seen got a visit from me. Based on my usual 40 mpg I used every bit of that 1.5 gal reserve the book claims we have. I never want to push it that far again as it gets really noisy in the back end if you know what I mean.

Edited by AKRefugee

When the low fuel light comes on and the trip gauge starts its count up, I can go 14-16 miles before the sputtering begins. I then flip the gas cock to reserve when I start to feel this happen. If I fill up immediately when that happens (give or take a mile) I can put 4 gallons in at that point. So I figure I can allow myself 40 miles/gallon with 2 gallons if I don't see a gas station in sight.

I have had this occur in town driving 4-5 times over the past year so I am fairly confident on what is left. I don't change the numbers just because I maybe highway riding either. I certainly do not want to be pushing the beast.

:080402gudl_prv:

On my 02 the warning comes on just after I have run out of fuel. The first indication I get of low fuel is when it starts to sputter. I switch to reserve and find a gas station. After I have filled up and started off again the low fuel warning comes on then goes out a few miles later.

on my rsv the bike starts to sputter & then i flip the handle to reserve. low light does not come on yet, i can go a couple of miles more the the speedo starts to count up. i think some were about this time the low fuel light comes on. will have to test it this weekend to double check, but will carry a gas can w/ some back up fuel. 'cause the rsv is too heavy to push very far.

best reguards

don c.

Got 60 miles on my low fuel light once for 208 total on the tank. Wife and I were running "a little" fast across the desert and it came on at 148 instead of the usual 175. Throttled back to 65 and got the 60 miles. You can bet that the 1st gas station I seen got a visit from me. Based on my usual 40 mpg I used every bit of that 1.5 gal reserve the book claims we have. I never want to push it that far again as it gets really noisy in the back end if you know what I mean.

and ol Cowpucky can TOTALLY relate to that!! For me it always happens while out exploring the desert and when the noise starts you REALLY want to say QUIET - I AM TRYING TO CONCENTRATE ON SEEING A GAS STATION OUT HERE (seems like knowing that if you tighten up all the muscles in your body and stare off into the distant desert a gas station will magically appear is some big secret - all bikers know that!!)...

To bad the wife dont buy my ol saying of "an old indian taught me that" - my kids always did... :Cool_cool36:

What's all this talk about switching from the main to reserve when the bike begins to splutter? Never had it happen to me. In fact, I never switch from the main to reserve.

I JUST RIDE ON RESERVE ALL THE TIME.

I EVEN PARK IT ON RESERVE.

I DO EVERYTHING ON RESERVE.

I just rely on that ol' yella light blinking at me and the clock reverting to an add-up trip meter. Next servo I fill 'er up. Usually around 14 litres.

• 5 years later...