IGNORED

North West Deserts

DANJ

In another thread, I mentioned that I had taken the back roads headed towards Wendover. There is a morning or afternoon ride out west of Salt lake that I really enjoy.

South on I15 to Bangerter to Redwood Road, South on Redwood to SR73 (Lehi Crossroads), West on SR73 through Cedar Fort and South to Fairfield. The Old Camp Floyd and Stagecoach Inn are real interesting If you are into Utah History. West through 5mile Pass Turning left at the Faust Cutoff. West and stop at the Pony Express Monument just to look around and mabey see some antelope. On to Faust Station (old railroad stop) and on to the Vernon Highway. South To Vernon and stop at a little place called the "Silver Sage Cafe". Very small but nice folks and Great food. Then head north to St. John (Ruch Valley) turn left through town to and over Johnson's Pass down through the farms into Skull Valley. Drops you onto the highway just north of Dugway Prooving Grounds. (large military post, very secret) Turn North for a nice ride to I80 and from there you can either head West to Wendover, East to Salt Lake City, or around the mountain to the Grantsville exit into Grantsville. I like to head into Grantsville Grab a little gas and head over to Tooele then south to Stockton and back to SR73 through 5mile Pass and back to Redwood road. Great 160-180 mile ride and alot of great roads where you can let the old girl run a little and wonderful desert sceenery.

Have fun and ride safe.

DJ

Hey Dan,

That sounds like a great ride.

I'll see those deserts in a few weeks. Me and my brother are riding out to bonneville speed week. We're staying at the Wendover Nv KOA for the week.

We're riding straight out on 80, 3days, but comming back, leaving Wendover and heading northeast up over the great salt lake and through the titons and up into yellowstone and back home.

Should be a great trip.

Steve

What do you think of the roads down by Bryce Canyon. I've been planning to come out to SLC and visit my Dad in September. On the way back I was going to ride down to Bryce Canyon, then ride highway 12 up to Torrey. From there I can't decide on the best route back to Texas. Should I shoot up 24 to Green River then take highway 70 over, then down to Silverton, CO, and home, or should I go down 95 by Fry Canyon and Bridges National monument, then over to Montecello? Any of you Utah riders have a suggestion? Been so long since I've been down that I way I can't remember what is worth seeing and what to avoid.

We're riding straight out on 80, 3days, but comming back, leaving Wendover and heading northeast up over the great salt lake and through the titons and up into yellowstone and back home.

Should be a great trip.

Steve

Yep, Speed week is alotta fun, and the ride up through Jackson Hole and Yellowstone is spectacular. Haven't done it on a bike yet, but many times in a cage. You'll love it. The ride up Snake River Canyon would be a real kick on a scooter. Good luck

What do you think of the roads down by Bryce Canyon. I've been planning to come out to SLC and visit my Dad in September. On the way back I was going to ride down to Bryce Canyon, then ride highway 12 up to Torrey. From there I can't decide on the best route back to Texas. Should I shoot up 24 to Green River then take highway 70 over, then down to Silverton, CO, and home, or should I go down 95 by Fry Canyon and Bridges National monument, then over to Montecello? Any of you Utah riders have a suggestion? Been so long since I've been down that I way I can't remember what is worth seeing and what to avoid.

Either route would be a nice ride, but I would much prefer the ride down through Bryce and Bridges. Take old 89 out of Spanish fork and then then south out of Thistle Junction through Fairview, Ephriam, Manti and Salina then over and south to Bryce. Lots'a great roads, many interesting places to stop, great 2-lanes and beautiful mountians. Jealous of yer trip.

Ride safe,

DJ