I've got a 2005 RSTD with ~ 13xxx miles on it. After changing to Flanders bars, I have started noticing a "clunk" or rattle that is most noticeable when coming to a stop, but can still feel/hear it when going over some bad parts of the road.

I can feel a vibration in the handlebars and can hear something as well. Checked the steering head bearings by elevation the front wheel and pulliing up, no slack and the wheel doesn't "flop" to either side. I did give the locking tabs a whack to make sure they were tight. Everything is tight that I can see, may only be coincidental with the handlebars, but looking for some help.

Might want to have the dealer take a look. I'm in the Houston area. If close enough, I can look at it with you.

Would you like to part with the TD handlebars? I've been considering the TD bars or Flanders on my RSV.

Ponch

I can feel a vibration in the handlebars and can hear something as well. Checked the steering head bearings by elevation the front wheel and pulliing up, no slack and the wheel doesn't "flop" to either side..

First of all "Vibration in the handlebar" does not sound very comforting. If I were you I would first of all check the tire and the alignment and also if the wheel bearing is ok. Also check if the wheel axle is straight. You have warranty so take it to the dealer and have them check this out.

Regarding the steering not flopping to either side when you push the handlebar gently with your finger then the steering should turn freely to the opposite side given that it is raised from the ground. There should be no binding/friction there. I am not saying it should flop to the other side but surely it should freely turn over.

I would have the dealer sort this out.

First of all "Vibration in the handlebar" does not sound very comforting. If I were you I would first of all check the tire and the alignment and also if the wheel bearing is ok. Also check if the wheel axle is straight. You have warranty so take it to the dealer and have them check this out.

Regarding the steering not flopping to either side when you push the handlebar gently with your finger then the steering should turn freely to the opposite side given that it is raised from the ground. There should be no binding/friction there. I am not saying it should flop to the other side but surely it should freely turn over.

I would have the dealer sort this out.

The vibration is only their when I hear/feel the clunk, not all of the time. The steering is binding and isn't too loose, just seemed that would be the most common issue related to steering. I have also checked the air pressure in the front and rear tires as well as the air pressure in the shocks, everything there is fine. Never hit any major bumps or ruts with the front tire, so didn't think that would be an issue.

My last option is to take in to the dealer. I HATE using the dealer for this kind of stuff, usully get a "could not duplicate" and waste a bunch of time.

The steering is binding and isn't too loose,.

Well, I would certainly have the steering bearing/stem nut tightness checked. Look up the torque specification for the steering stem nut and check if it is tightened to the specified torque setting. - There should be NO binding or fraction in the steering!

Well, I would certainly have the steering bearing/stem nut tightness checked. Look up the torque specification for the steering stem nut and check if it is tightened to the specified torque setting. - There should be NO binding or fraction in the steering!

Don't have the specifice tool for checking this, but there is no binding or friction and it isn't loose enough to flop to either side.