IGNORED

lowering kit

Guest w r crouch

Guest w r crouch

need to know more about lowering kit for my '04 RSV. Short legs are making things difficult with the little woman sitting behind me. She sits so high, its difficult to keep bike upright when we come to a stop. Would lowering the rear help? Where do I buy the Baron's kit, how much, how dificult to install etc.? Thanks

If you can turn a wrench, you can install it. Remove the right saddlebag to expose the rear caliper. Also remove the left bag, as you will need to remove the axle. Just follow the instructions in the kit. Really not a bad job at all.

Where to buy it?

1. Direct from Barons

2. I have a complete kit for sale, including the instructions. It was on a bike when I bought it, I didn't like it lowered so I removed the kit and returned it to stock. It's yours for $95 shipped anywhere in the continental U.S.

I dabbled with different heights for the bike. The bike is much easier to control at low speeds with the leveling links lifting the back a bit. Once stopped I was having more trouble with the reach to the ground. I removed the links and lowered the front an inch and the bike is again easier to handle at low speeds and easier to reach the ground. I personally suggest you try lowering the front up to an inch and see what you think.

I then tried lowering the back almost and inch. I liked the reach even better but found the low speed responsiveness going away. With a passenger I was getting a bit of hunting back and forth and it just didn’t seem to want to hold a line. Now I’m back to stock in the back and down an inch in the front.

This is the best for what I was trying for and will be staying here. Of course peoples tastes vary. Just remember that both ends can be adjusted, try it all and I’m sure you can make the bike what you like. Also other owners have mentioned having the seat modded to make it lower or narrower to help.

Jerry

Well, I had my seat re-upholstered to lower it and it is pretty good that way but I also would like to lower the bike. Most ppl say that the leveling kit is best for low speed stability but I can't afford to raise the beast by even a half inch. So maybe the best way for me would be to lower the front end. Achieve better stability and lower seat height.

AZSpyder, how did you go about lowering the front end? Any pics? Or a "How to"?

Tx

I dabbled with different heights for the bike. The bike is much easier to control at low speeds with the leveling links lifting the back a bit. Once stopped I was having more trouble with the reach to the ground. I removed the links and lowered the front an inch and the bike is again easier to handle at low speeds and easier to reach the ground.Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Did you notice a difference between the two? Leveling links vs lowering the front forks. Did one handle better than the other?

Leonard

Leonard

I’m not positive but I think the leveling links may have been better for the low speed handling. It is very close. The leveling links do allow more cornering clearance but cause even more trouble if the bike is a bit too tall. In my opinion go with the leveling links if you have the reach, drop the front if you don’t (or you are cheap, the front is free).

If you don’t do either watch the rear shock pressure. My bike was worse on the handling if the back drops with a load, like two up. It got very slow responding at low speed. Did a lot of S turning starting off.

Jerry

If you can turn a wrench, you can install it. Remove the right saddlebag to expose the rear caliper. Also remove the left bag, as you will need to remove the axle. Just follow the instructions in the kit. Really not a bad job at all.

Where to buy it?

1. Direct from Barons

2. I have a complete kit for sale, including the instructions. It was on a bike when I bought it, I didn't like it lowered so I removed the kit and returned it to stock. It's yours for $95 shipped anywhere in the continental U.S.

Sent you mail.

Hi Jerry,

Did you notice a difference between the two? Leveling links vs lowering the front forks. Did one handle better than the other?

Leonard

Hi Leonard,

NEWTrk (Phil) started out with the lowering kit on the back last year, worked fine, he liked the control of the bike, but the pipes dragged more often. Over the winter he removed the lowering kit and put the rear back to stock, he then lowered the front an inch and loves the control now. It gives him exactly what he wanted at no cost - just a little time.

BTW - he also hated the slow speed manuvering with the stock tires, he has replaced them with Avons and is a real happy camper.

rb

Guest w r crouch

thanks to all for info. sounds like lowering the front end is right for me. will let u know how it comes out.

.... It was on a bike when I bought it, I didn't like it lowered so I removed the kit and returned it to stock. It's yours for $95 shipped anywhere in the continental U.S.

If all goes well, I'll be picking up "my" '06 at the end of the week. It is already lowered. If it doesn't suit me (6' tall, mostly legs) can you provide info on returning it to stock? Without the lowering kit instructions I don't know what to undo. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

If all goes well, I'll be picking up "my" '06 at the end of the week. It is already lowered. If it doesn't suit me (6' tall, mostly legs) can you provide info on returning it to stock? Without the lowering kit instructions I don't know what to undo. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

I assume you mean it has been lowered with a Barons kit. If you are buying it from the original owner that lowered it in the first place, make sure you get the original parts from him/her. These should consist of 2 links shaped something like dog bones and the brake caliper relocation piece. The brake relocation part is to protect against slamming the fender into the stock rear brake caliper when lowered. You can tell if the rear brakes have been relocated if you see the rear calipers positioned below the swing arm. When stock the calipers are above the swing arm. Changing the brake relocation piece requires that you remove the rear wheel. The Barons brake relocation parts consist of an arm and a spacer but the original part is a single piece. It is pretty self evident how the stock piece should go back if you take the right saddle bag off and look at the rear brakes.

There is a piece in the Tech section on putting links on with the torque numbers. If for some reason you don't have the stock rear brake location arm, you can live with the Baron's rear brake relocation piece and still put the bike back to stock height with the links. If you don't have either, you can get links made to the stock size or get some from someone on the site that has gone with the raised links and don't want the stock ones any more.

Changing the links is very easy and as said, the direction to change links are in the Tech section for 2nd gens.

Sorry if this is long winded. I don't have the original instructions but it isn't a difficult change. You might take a look at the Barons site cause they show a picture of the kit parts.

Well, I just sealed the deal this morning. I'll be picking it up my "new to me" '06 RSV next week. The guy I'm buying it from is the 2nd owner (depsite that, she only has 2,800 miles on her). He doesn't think he has the bones but is going to give me the "box of stuff" that he got from the 1st owner. If everything is in there then I'm all set. If not, it looks like I'll be posting here to see if anyone will sell me their stock bones.

Thanks for the info.

I've got stock bones if you need em. I know I'll never use them again. I like my leveling links way to much. You may want to consider leveling links from Diamond R instead of going to stock. They really improve the slow speed handling of the bike, and improve your drag clearance as well. Anyway, shoot me a PM if you need the stock dog bones. Here is the writeup on removing the stock dog bones and replacing them with leveling links.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=492

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
need to know more about lowering kit for my '04 RSV. Short legs are making things difficult with the little woman sitting behind me. She sits so high, its difficult to keep bike upright when we come to a stop. Would lowering the rear help? Where do I buy the Baron's kit, how much, how dificult to install etc.? Thanks

The PO lowered by '99 RSV and would love to undo what he did. Would be willing to swap parts with anyone such as yourself, but I ride every day and would have to be a quick swap. Also willing to just purchase original stock parts from anyone that has lowered their RSV.

this thread is 7 years old fyi.:whistling:

and I think I have a stock setup laying around that I could swap with you if you wish?

mike

Wow. What an oversight. But yes, I am very interested. Kinda busy this week. Have a big ride coming up this weekend for a child with terminal cancer and working on getting all that put together. Can I hook back up with you next week?

Ill give the barons kit with the relocation kit a thumbs up. install was medium and having a second person to help was useful.

I went back and addedd an oring to the pivot arm to keep it aligned during install. with out the oring, my brakes were rubbing from an out of alignment brake arm.

• 3 weeks later...
Did you instal the oring during the brake relocation or the dogbones swap? I had no rubbing issues at all. Maybe I just got lucky.

Yeah. The lowering kit has been on for a good 2 weeks with no issues.. I'm going to jack it up later and see if I can find something going on in there..